New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a new project...
 Login/Join

Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
http://youtu.be/1TJGKOfpDic Fast guy on AF 500.

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Here is some update pictures... Doesnt look like much, but its about 5 hours worth of work and a pound of aluminum tonight...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Justin just have to give you a bad time for not being into the 2 stroke thing I think you just might be but not wanting to admit it. Think about it you just cut up a 450 frame to put in a 2 stroke if thats not being into the 2 stroke thing I don't know what is. Welcome back to the premix side of the bike world

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!!
Justin, how hard was that too take a saw and cut your frame to pieces?

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chaz#822
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's just WRONG! Wink

Posts: 61 | Location: Bellevue | Registered: Mon November 29 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, Before I started cutting, it took me a minute of looking at the bike before I had the nuts to do it... I just had to tell myself that it didnt matter anyway, because this bike will never have a 450 in it again, so it didnt matter if I cut the frame... lol.. That did the trick.

Its pretty straight forward, Ive been researching this for about a year, so it wasnt like I just went to town with a sawzall and cutoff wheel LOL..

When Im done, you wont be able to tell any work was even done to it, itll look better than factory...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
I give you props for coming up with something new! But I hope you rode the 500 a little more than up the rode and back before you were convinced that it was worth cutting up a 450 frame lol. Do you know what kinda horsepower the 500 puts out vs. the 450? Just outta curiousity...

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Well he's always got the Old Mans bike should he need it! Besides guys, look upwards on the thread, the kid was ripping my 480 very young. I always had the same rule my dad gave me with his BSA s and his TM 400... "if you can start it you can ride it" Funny, the kid had no problem with the left hand kickstart. (youth is bliss, no bad habits yet)

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was convinced before I rode the 500... Riding it around the block only affirmed it...

The 500 puts out anywhere from 5-10hp more than the 450... But I think there is a Huge Difference in torque... Not sure on the number but the 500 wins hands down...

posted Hide Post
I didnt have much time today... But I did manage to throw together a frame jig... I need to pick up some solid stock aluminum tomrrow so I can start on the frame.

Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
It all came back to him that day he rode Ryan Ennis' KX500 at the SMC club track Hutch! He's been searching for the right deal for about 2 years. Got him a clean one Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchracer:
Hey Justin just have to give you a bad time for not being into the 2 stroke thing I think you just might be but not wanting to admit it. Think about it you just cut up a 450 frame to put in a 2 stroke if thats not being into the 2 stroke thing I don't know what is. Welcome back to the premix side of the bike world

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
And hell yes Hutch we ALL love the smell of Maxima 927 in the morning!

Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Awesome Blaze!!! (now if my kid don't hurt himself on it)
quote:
Originally posted by blaze:
http://youtu.be/1TJGKOfpDic Fast guy on AF 500.

posted Hide Post
2-stroke is the funnest thing you can ride with your clothes on.

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
How to do it by Justin Anderson...nice jig kiddo. Where it will get good is the wishbone...proud.

posted Hide Post
Here is some information I found on swingarm bushings you might need:

Swingarm Bushings

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was just going to make a couple of spacers (looks like I may just have to make one now after reading that) on my lathe.

I had the engine up in the frame for mockup and fitment of the wishbone today, and got it in the right spot. No gas tank mods needed, fits just in the right spot. Tomorrow im going to tack my frame pieces together and make sure I can get the engine in and out, then I will work on fitting my motor mounts... Then its final welding... If I have all the material I need, Im sure I will make decent progress tomorrow...

Here is a Cell pic of the engine in the frame today.

Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
boy it dont look like the spark plug and Cap will clear that frame!!!!!

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its starting to look like good progress hope to see it out at the track soon. I love the sound of big bore 2 strokes. Next think you'll want a ported cylinder and a good supply of rear tires

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, the frame actually arcs around above the head, so the spark plug isnt anywhere near it... The gas tank is the closest thing to the spark plug and I think it will clear the boot just fine... At very worst Ill have to take the tank off to change the plug, and thats no worse than a 450.

Larry, I plan on pulling the engine apart after I have the fab done (And some stuff out for powder coat) to do the the bearings and to blast the cases to get the old cruddy black paint of. While im in there, I plan on doing a little port work, just some cleanup, nothing major. After running into Vern at Lowes, he mentioned balancing the crank so im going to look into that, I was already going to put a flywheel weight on it... Thats going to round it out for the mods though.

Here is progress for the day. I wasnt impressed with the quality of the aluminum honda uses on their non-cast frame parts, it welded like ass. But the cast parts and the new material I put in welded just fine. A lot of stuff wanted to fight me today, but I evetually got everything lined up and burned in. The engine fits beatifully, and it even turned out that I can use some of the old mounts I cut off the frame, the widths are perfect... Anyway, here is some pics...