E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    To all you under 30 years old...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all you under 30 years old...
 Login/Join

Picture of Vetmx808
posted
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a d**n Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the d**n library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the d**n record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Right on Vet!
Most of us had to mow the lawn with a push mower (no gas engine, no self propel) and rake the leaves before we were allowed to go riding as well!
Hey I was in your beautiful state last week without a bike though. What a great place western Montana seems to be.

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAZZ 995
posted Hide Post
Here! Here! My sentiments exactly.
Plus in between all of that we actually learned manners and to respect people. It wasn't as it is now...."gimme, gimme, gimme, because I am me, you owe me..."

Posts: 86 | Location: yakatak | Registered: Thu August 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Anderson:
Right on Vet!
Most of us had to mow the lawn with a push mower (no gas engine, no self propel) and rake the leaves before we were allowed to go riding as well!
Hey I was in your beautiful state last week without a bike though. What a great place western Montana seems to be.

Thanks! My poor 4 year old is already learning that life isn't fair! I am trying to teach him the value of Money, and the understanding that you need to work for it! He is starting to understand, but doesn't like it! Smile

What parts did you visit? That is a bummer you didn't bring your bike, we had a State race in Plains this last weekend. The track is right on the Flathead river (literally) with grass camping!

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
Ummm, I'm 27 years old and I've busted my ass ever since I moved out of my parent's house when I was 18..... but I don't really take offense to this because I enjoy the spirit of your post and I completely agree that each passing generation seemingly looses ambition and drive.

Maybe they are making up for it in other ways that aren't apparent to us older guys but I'm not sure. I'm not that old so it would be like me talking crap on a 16 year old.... sure he might be a lazy punk but maybe there is more to him than I'm observing and I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

I think all these emerging problems in young people have nothing to do with the kids. Most of them have been raised with bad parenting and a lack or morals/work ethic being taught to them. Then of course "MOM"(read: government) isn't helping the attitudes in our country. Government is just teaching us to act like 6 year old kids crying in the toy isle because they want a shinny new toy that their parents really don't have the money to buy for them. But government is slowly teaching our society that if we cry and bitch long enough they will buy us the toy just to shut us up even though they can't afford it. The end result for society in the US is the same as kids with bad parents.... they think they are entitled to anything they "Want" without having to work for it.

Mom = Government
The current shinny new toy that many are crying for = universal health care.

It is like your parents buying you a new bicycle to shut you up.... but they bought you the bicycle while they are in the process of bankruptcy. Our country is pretty much going bankrupt.

Good Post.... again, I didn't take much offense to it because I know it was a pretty accurate generalization.

And now I step down from my soap box.........

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
Let me step back on and add this bit:

The kids should only get the toys if they have earned them in some fashion rather than being rewarded for throwing a fit. My point is that we can all purchase health insurance if we work hard and earn the money needed for the insurance. If we don't CHOOSE to get insurance then we must not really want it that badly after all.... and that is a valid CHOICE in my opinion. Foolish, yes but still a CHOICE or Freedom we should have as an option.

And now back off the box again Big Grin

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Very good! No offense by me. You are close enough to the "30 something" and over group to understand. That is all that matters.

I can remember years of very hard work (chores) around my house in Montana, but was rewarded with nice things. It became a habit to work hard. Sometimes when my parents could afford it I was rewarded. Other times, the work just needed to be done, reward or not. I have learned to respect the all mighty dollar. Too little $$$ can make life tough, but so can too much...

Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
Atari's came before remotes and microwaves?

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motodrew295:
Atari's came before remotes and microwaves?

Oh yeah! 1972 baby!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
We went to Whitefish, up to Glacier,(yes I drove right by hungry horse not knowing it was there till 2 days later), down to Bozeman, then to West Yellowstone and the park, spent Friday night and Sat AM in Virginia & Nevada City, checked out the car museum in Deer Lodge, drove back right past you in Plains (duh) and was in Spokane saturday night. Checked out practice at Airway, and got home to Carnation at 4:30 Sunday. Plains track is visible from Google earth, wish I'd known, looks fun.

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Well shoot! I wasn't actually at the race, I was in Glacier the same time as you! I decided to skip that race since I have the championship wrapped up. But, if you come over again, take a look at www.montanamotocross.com for upcoming events in Montana.

Plains track is fun and easy, nothing scary at all.

If you are going to have you bikes and are in the Helena area, shoot me an email: jsteffins@mt.gov We have an awesome track...

Jason

Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
Its funny how our parents enjoyed their lives when I was young. Dad worked, mom was home with us taking care of our runny noses and teaching us how to be little gentelmen. We really didnt watch much TV because their wasnt much to watch. We were outside playing games, fishing, riding our bikes with our neighbors, you remember them, the people next door that your parents use to have bbqs with and talk too. If you got into a fight it was with your fists and almost always ended up being one of your best friends. Laws were made to take care of the bad people and kids could be kids. Cops would bring you home to your parents and maaaaaaaaan that would not be good. LOL... Teachers had control of classes so you didnt dare back talk or disrupt the class. They taught you how to read, wright, math, and true history. You said the Pledge of Allegiance to start each day and sang the National Anthem every day and before assemblies and games. We were taught to respect each other and our surroundings. Basic life was what we all desired too live. We didnt need government control of our every need. You were responsible for your families well being and needs. And we were allowed to make those choices that WE felt best for our families.

Simple lifes with simple needs made happy families.... and old forgot saying.

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motodad642:
Its funny how our parents enjoyed their lives when I was young. Dad worked, mom was home with us taking care of our runny noses and teaching us how to be little gentelmen. We really didnt watch much TV because their wasnt much to watch. We were outside playing games, fishing, riding our bikes with our neighbors, you remember them, the people next door that your parents use to have bbqs with and talk too. If you got into a fight it was with your fists and almost always ended up being one of your best friends. Laws were made to take care of the bad people and kids could be kids. Cops would bring you home to your parents and maaaaaaaaan that would not be good. LOL... Teachers had control of classes so you didnt dare back talk or disrupt the class. They taught you how to read, wright, math, and true history. You said the Pledge of Allegiance to start each day and sang the National Anthem every day and before assemblies and games. We were taught to respect each other and our surroundings. Basic life was what we all desired too live. We didnt need government control of our every need. You were responsible for your families well being and needs. And we were allowed to make those choices that WE felt best for our families.

Simple lifes with simple needs made happy families.... and old forgot saying.

All of that is what we need to bring back now!

I think the single income household with a stay at home mom (I suppose it could be stay at home dad nowadays) is the best way to go. The problem is that life has gotten so expensive that it is very hard to do the single income household so that your kids don't get raised by TV and daycare (in that order).

Or is it that life hasn't really gotten that much more expensive and it is really only our tastes that have gotten much more expensive. The average middle class family in the 60s lived in something like a 900 sq. ft. house and had 1.5 cars (meaning many only had one car). Now the average "Middle class" family lives in about a 1700 sq. ft. house and has an average of 2.5 cars (probably add the .5 car for those that buy their teenager a car).

So if we toned down our "wants" and lived with what was considered "enough" 40ish years ago then could we go back to single income households and actually have time to raise our kids and spend time with them teaching them values and morals? Because if we don't they may learn them from MTV or god forbid such wonderful role models for teenage girls like Paris Hilton Mad

I don't blame parents for the way things are now because most people have so much debt that there is no way they can live on a single income. And we have all been brainwashed by all forms of advertising and just the general desires of our collective society to always want MORE, BIGGER, and BETTER stuff.

I think the trick is learning to be content with what you have and realizing that most of what you WANT you don't really NEED.

Sorry for the rant but my wife and I are currently going down baby road and the plan is for her to not return to work after our kid is born so I'm racking my brain to figure out how to make it happen. It will be very hard but I think it is totally worth it and it will give the kid a solid base to enter the world with if we can actually raise him or her in a semi-calm environment.

Also what you said about not watching TV because there wasn't much on to watch: I've recently all but quit watching TV and it has been one of the best moves I've ever made. Plus now that Allisports.com has the MX races archived I can still watch my racing on the computer and at least MX racing stimulates some part of my brain (unlike reality TV).

Picture of DanP
posted Hide Post
If you can make the stay at home mom thing work...go for it!

We had baby #1 when I was right out of college. My wife is a couple of years older than me and had a great job with great benefits. But we had made the decision that she would stay home regardless. I can tell you life was not easy. This was back in 1997...My gross salary was $24,000 and my net pay was $791 every two weeks...and we got by. It was a tighter than you can imagine...but we didn't know any better. We had two old cars, a cheap apartment, I read mx magazines at the library (remember those places?) and you know what...life was fun!

Thankfully I make more than that now and financially life is easier (I said easier, not easy!), but with my wife's background, we are probably leaving about $80,000 per year in income "on the table"...but you know what? I wouldn't trade that $80,000 for knowing someone else was raising my 4 kids.

I also grew up DIRT POOR and you know what? We weren't any less happy than the folks who had a lot of money. The thing that scares me is there is a whole generation of kids out there who saw both parents working and making great coin. Unfortunantely, most of those kids grew up pretty spoiled with only 1 or no siblings. They learned at an early age that they always got what they wanted, and never had to share. I think a lot of those families try to make up for there time away at work by giving Billy a new fancy bike and an Ipod, and a flat screen TV for their room and a... In my opinion, this generation (now in their 20's) thinks that they should have a $100K job, a home, a boat and a Benz one year out of college...their expectations are completely out in la-la land.

Like you said Nathan, it is all about keeping your expectations in check and being happy with what you can afford. No I don't drive a new truck, yes my YZ is a two stroke and 5 years old (so it certainly isn't a "cool bike", and yes I buy all my gear and my kids gear on closeout sales for 75% off so its not the "new" stuff"...but that is OK with me. If my wife worked we'd have a bunch more money...and I'd have a new bike and a sweet RV and my son would have a stock 50 and a mod 50 and a practice bike (had to get that in there...I laugh knowing that my son asked me at the last PRO race we went to why the other kids had so many different bikes in their pits)...but...my kids would only see us for a few hours every night...and we wouldn't be one damn bit more happy than we are right now...

BTW-I am not slamming folks who have both spouses working. It is America and you can do what you want (at least I don't think that has changed yet)...I understand that some people would go nuts trying to stay home with their kids.

But, I feel very blessed to know that my wife is at home right now with my kids enjoying summer vacation with them every day.

Now stepping off my "mom's stay at home" soapbox...

Posts: 273 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed February 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is a stay at home mom also. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Same here. I grew up that way, so I am giving my kids the same thing.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for supporting the idea guys and not telling me "You just can't do that these days, it's too expensive"

Smile

Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I guess I could be rolling deep with an Escalade or maybe get new bikes every year, but we think having mom at home is a little more "long term" value.

As far as leaving money on the table, the way I look at it is I'm not really leaving it on the table, I'm investing it into my kids. I have NO regrets about it.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
NaPalm
quote:
Mom = Government
The current shinny new toy that many are crying for = universal health care.

It is like your parents buying you a new bicycle to shut you up.... but they bought you the bicycle while they are in the process of bankruptcy. Our country is pretty much going bankrupt.

NaPalm I read your post and reread your posts and I have to agree. At the risk of a high jack.....How in the hell does our governmet ever feel that #1. We could ever afford universal health care? #2 How in the world do they feel it could ever work when it hasent worked anywhere in the world? Are we so enamored with this new President and his cronies that all that he says will be the right thing? This Administration reminds me of the JFK years, lots of BS and zero substance.

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
im only 25 but i have to agree that kids these days are spoiled. I was however raised by a two income family and feel like I turned out ok. Agree also on the universal health care situation. I have to make it a priority to have health care and could not probably get by on what they are going to provide. I would end up having to pay out more to have what I need and still pay for the crap that I wouldn't be using.

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post