New
Find
Notify
Tools

just wonderin...
 Login/Join

Picture of McGinnis_339
posted
I'm laying around at 215 am just wondering... I should be sleeping right now getting ready for a typical Monday work. Instead, I'm laying in a white bed in a blue gown with tubes sticking out of me listening to a machine beep. This little green button puts morphine in my blood system every time I push it. I have an appointment at 630 am to repair my fractured right hip and dislocated left hip. I have great medical insurance as I am a school bus mechanic for the kent school district. I haven't seen my 2011 kx 250f since it kicked me over the bars this past Saturday at toes. I had been working so hard to get ready to give the pro class hell this year. And yet what is a injury that I should make a full recovery in a couple months

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
Continued from above (morphine makes some things a little difficult). Even tho I should make a full recovery, I'm laying here wondering how a sport I love so much could make me feel so bad. Laying on the dirt Saturday morning all I could remember is thinking I never want to feel that way again. I dunno if I'm calling it quits for good, but this has definitely been a life changing and mentally altering situation. I'm not trying to scare anyone or shine light on the dark side of the sport we all love, simply just stating how I feel...
Brian McGinnis #339

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Keep the chin up, after the surgery and recoup do a really good assessment of your situation. Not sure how old you are Brian but most of us older guys here have hit with some bad results, although my blown out knee seems easy compared to what you are going through. If you have Facebook or know Dominic Franza he just went through similar situation last year. He could give you some insight. Good luck on the surgery and don't get too attached to the morphine, she is like a really hot woman without a job, fun for a bit but then you can't afford her.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
That is brutal man. As said above, keep your chin up. Its crazy how this sport can be beautiful one second and brutal the next. Best wishes in a speedy recovery. Hopefully I can meet you out at a track sometime in the near future.

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Brian, that sucks!!!!
Sorry to hear you got wadded up!
I hear ya man! After breaking my femur last April, I take a second thought about things.
I rode sleds on Saturday. My buddies were jumping off of cliffs. I sat and watched. Good for them, have fun! My Dr bills arn't paid yet.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Get well!!!

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Court321
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that brian! Its true though, everytime any of us throw a leg over our bike, we all know that there is an opportunity for injury! I'm sure we have all been there and will be there again when you are pushing yourself to shave time off of each lap. Feel better man! hit me up if u need help with anything!

Posts: 23 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Thu November 19 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brian. Moto is so much better than morphine, that's why we do what we do. It's not over. I broke my wrist/hand 8 times (one bicycle one punching a box) broke my back 3 times and 2 broken ankles at soccer. Lifes a struggle sometimes but have faith in God and have some fun while you're here.

Get well soon!

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
How many times have you hit your head Ted, I'm just saying :-)

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
I think its a mind game. If I let it consume me all at one time its to much to deal with very easy to get depressed my healthy body was all jacked up. The last time I did eight days five surgerys I just told myself take it one day at a time, the days will ad up. Dont be afraid to get second or third opinion and work the rehab therapy just as hard as you do moto training. I hit the morphine button everytime it was available just to maintain my eight day buzz but I was hungover as hell when I checked out of the club. I hope you get well soon and back on the track!

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the encouraging words guys. I'm 22 and I've been very lucky as far as the amount of injuries I've had in my 7 years of racing. Sugery went well this morning and it feels amazing to no longer be in traction. Riding or racing definitely won't be an option for several months so I won't get to see any of you guys at the track for awhile. I hope all of you be careful and ride safe. Thanks again for the kind words. #339

posted Hide Post
Brian, get well soon bud. Chris also says to get well soon. You will be up and running soon and getting that itch to attack it once again.
George

Posts: 28 | Location: Olalla,WA | Registered: Thu December 04 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of people in motocross.

The first type is the person who spends every weekend (And lots of time in between..) since they were barely able to remember anything, racing motocross... Thats what they do, and nothing else in the world means more to them than being the best they possibly can at this sport. When they encounter injuries, its just another step in the road, they really dont know anything else... These are the types that make up 90% of the professional racers today...

Then there is the rest of us... Those who enjoy the sport as much as the above, who have the skill, but at some point, realize that there is a lot more that we are interested in than Moto... Those that make up this group all joined for some reason or another... Either we got bored with the sport, started out early and missed out on the action when it counted and came back too late (myself), or got hurt bad enough to second guess their future in the sport.

At some point you have to pick which group you want to be in, and sometimes it takes a serious situation such as yours to bring that decision to light... Bottom line, this sport is all about fun... Everybody should take that into account next time they go for that huge jump...

Get well soon...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tomsti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Anderson:
Then there is the rest of us... Those who enjoy the sport as much as the above, who have the skill, but at some point, realize that there is a lot more that we are interested in than Moto... Those that make up this group all joined for some reason or another... Either we got bored with the sport, started out early and missed out on the action when it counted and came back too late (myself), or got hurt bad enough to second guess their future in the sport.

Wasn't this the start of the Motocross Professional Practice Association(MXPPA)?

Get well!!!

Posts: 35 | Location: Sammamish | Registered: Fri April 17 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
The surgeon told me this morning that everything looked good in my post surgery ct scan. But unfortunetly he also said I'm gonna be in a wheel chair for 8 to 12 weeks to prevent from putting any weight on my tender hips. I told him I don't ride things with 4 wheels but I don't think he got my joke lol

Picture of KinserMoto438
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain buddy. I went to do some arenacross practice at Monroe a few months back just for fun, no intention of pushing myself or riding hard. I lost it off a little double and found myself in the dirt with a dislocated hip (for the second time) and a concussion. I thought to myself for the first time ever, why do I do this to myself. Then it made me realize how much I love the sport of motocross and every aspect of it. Whatever you decide to do, just remember we only started riding and racing because we love it and enjoy it.
I will never be a hard training competitive pro again, but moto will be in my blood forever, and I will ride as long as I can.
Keep your chin up, heal up strong and enjoy the sport for what it is.
PS- the doctors will never get our jokes haha.

*Let up for a second, and thats where you'll finish!*
-Klete #438

Posts: 114 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Mon November 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
Brian, things will get better. I was in my early 40's and thinking I was a teenager cased a triple at skyriver and (airlifted) woke up in harborview. Broke a few L section vertebrae's, close but not paralyzed. I hated motocross for what it did to me for months. Now I ride all the time and enjoy every minute, just a lot slower. Like someone said before get fit and things will get better.

Posts: 64 | Location: North | Registered: Wed August 31 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
I hear u..I don't risk as much anymore either..However, weird stuff still happens. Like most of us riders, we can relate...man, fricken man we hate crashing...As I am flying over the bars I think to myself "please God, no surgery"...seriously...I hate being hurt..but I'd hate not being able to ride either.. I don't race much anymore but I am a Pro at Practice..lol.. Keep ur head up.. This too shall pass...

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
We founded the Mxppa for all of you!

Get well soon Brian!

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KinserMoto438
posted Hide Post
I like the sound of the mxppa. Where do I sign up. I think I even have a slogan, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good one lap as I ever was." No???

*Let up for a second, and thats where you'll finish!*
-Klete #438

Posts: 114 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Mon November 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate what everyone has to say, it does mean a lot! I like the way you're thinking Klete. Is MXPPA accepting rider applications for the 2013 season? Haha