E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    What motor oil should I run in my 05 yz125
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What motor oil should I run in my 05 yz125
 Login/Join

Picture of Auzzi152
posted
05 yz 125

Any suggestions on brand of oil?

How often it should be changed?

How much does it hold?

I know the oil screw is in the wrong spot?

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silkolene I go 5 hours with me riding it. It says on the side cover how much oil to put in it. Torque the drain plug at 14.5 ft. pounds. RIDE 2 STROKES BE HAPPY. Tell your kid to get ahold of me if he wants to go riding.

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave;

Do you run full synthetic?

Super happy, Erik is here with me in San Diego right now. We went and rode Perris together on Saturday, picking Storme's Cobra tomorrow then riding Pala on Wednesday and Friday then Milestone on Sunday! Trying to make up for lost time...

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Dumonde Tech in the yellow bottle.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Osaka #627
posted Hide Post
golden spectro. dumonde tech premix.

The Asian Sensation - Stirring Sh** Since '89.

Posts: 693 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue November 30 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maxima MTL 80 wt will go easy 5 hrs of hard use never had any wear issue's and the plates last longer with it.

Make sure you upgrade the shift stopper lever to the '07 part! It's a must do mod for that bike!

almost forgot it takes 660 ml's of oil

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Yamalube (2x Stroke) was about the only thing that'd hold my 1991 YZ250 together. Still got several quarts laying around...just in case I need'em. Burned of some KLOTZ 2x stroke in a chain saw not long ago, tree chopp'n and such. Love the smell of that stuff.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run the Maxima MTL 80 as well and it works just fine in my 2001 RM250. Also run Maxima927 or Super M premix and never had any issues with it. But its up to you in the end, I don't think there is any wrong way to go these days if your using a quality oil and keeping up with changing it on a regular basis

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For almost 20 years we have been runing Silkolene Med gear oil and comp 2 Pre- Mix at 32 to 1.

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Silkolene Light gear oil in the 125's and run Silkolene medium in the 250's...At least thats what I ran in my two smokers. I am a firm believer in Silkolene products...I use the Silkolene Pro 4SX in my thumpers.

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maxima in the tank and Tech in the gearbox.

Posts: 37 | Location: seattle, wa. usa | Registered: Wed March 10 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
KLOTZ 2x oil and more tree chopp'n to report. Would she Blow-or-Go; Me new Poulan chain saw?

Go she does with KLOTZ oil!

New saw likes Klotz just needed some cleanup afterwards. I either didn't run her hard enough or I wasn't paying attention. Either way the muffler had gooey stuff on it. Apply some gas and a paint brush and done is done.

Besides, Who's to complain?

2x smoke is good by my book. Yard Work and the smell of KLOTZ 2x oil equals a very good day.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Maxima 927 in the 2 smokes. A neighbor gave me 2 cases of the smelly bardahl to give away at B'ham, no takers! Now my step daughters boyfriend is running it in a sano '77 YZ100 he got off craigs for $150 !

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Having trouble finding Silkolene at the local shops I go to, however, I just bought 5 gallons of Maxima MTL 75 for Stormes cobra is that too light for the YZ 125?

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auzzi152:
Having trouble finding Silkolene at the local shops I go to, however, I just bought 5 gallons of Maxima MTL 75 for Stormes cobra is that too light for the YZ 125?
use the cobra clutch milk for the clutch in the cobra auzzi. trust me or ask anyone who races cobras alot it will keep the maint way down on the cobras.we use maxima mtl 80 and it works great. ran 75 on the ktms. who did you get your cobra from

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
For your yz125 transmission i would run a good quality ATF type F fluid. I know it sounds funny but look it up on the internet.I have ran that in all my son 2-stroke trannys since he was on 65's.You want believe how good of clutch action you get and how long it will make the clutch last.I think we have only put 2 clutch's in for 5 years of riding.

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
I run the oil that just says "OIL" on the side...normally with a yellow or white label...99 cents at walmart. Razz

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Delo 400 straight from Costco!

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dogz450F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
quote:
use the cobra clutch milk for the clutch in the cobra auzzi. trust me or ask anyone who races cobras alot it will keep the maint way down on the cobras.we use maxima mtl 80 and it works great. ran 75 on the ktms. who did you get your cobra from

Cobra has changed their "Clutch Milk" in the last year, not the same and not as good. If you bought some clutch oil for the cobra from Mike @ STORM Racing that is good stuff to run in your cobra. If you get in a pinch run the maxima mtl 85 in the cobra!

Posts: 226 | Location: Snotown | Registered: Mon June 27 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogz450F:
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
quote:

Cobra has changed their "Clutch Milk" in the last year, not the same and not as good. If you bought some clutch oil for the cobra from Mike @ STORM Racing that is good stuff to run in your cobra. If you get in a pinch run the maxima mtl 85 in the cobra!

Regarding the Cobra, I called around dealerships when I was in the market. I was not price shopping, I was looking for a dealer that was knowledgeable and would make Storme and myself feel important. I ran across Storm Cycles in Valencia and stopped calling other dealers. Mike is SUPER knowledgeable on all things Cobra, patient and a pleasure to do business with. Mike recommended the MTL75 for the Cobra (he said that's what the current national champ was using) so I bought a bunch of it. I wouldn't know which one is better cause it's all I know. I change the oil after every ride, the rings after every 20 hours and the piston after every 40 hours. Storme had his first race last Saturday night it was under the lights a Milestone, he got second and loves motocross more then a fat kid loves cake!