E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    Gear RANT... Or at least a RANT in general...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gear RANT... Or at least a RANT in general...
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Anderson
posted
So Its time to buy some new gear... Last time I bought some white and black Thor gear because it was simple and didnt have a bunch of garbage going on, and it didnt matter what bike I rode, the gear would look great... Well that was a bust, the Thor gear was probably the biggest POS gear Ive ever bought... That being said, Im not going to buy Thor this time. So I decided now was the time to check out the new gear, and find some good clean looking gear that didnt look like ass (Like most of the gear out there)... I hit up a few online stores, and I swear half the gear out there has some sort of "Rockstar, Monster, or another -Bro- type brand" and the rest is either of some blotchy scheme with every color on the spectrum, or brand specific. It just so happens that the gear that looked the best to me has honda emblems on it (Which isnt all that bad, it is my main bike afterall) but I plan on getting the ol' RM125 running again this year and I dont wanna go out on the track with honda gear, riding a suzuki...

1) Why is the 2012 gear so terrible looking, to the point Im hesitant about buying new gear in general.

2) Why is it that the general riding population deems it necessary to load their gear up with a bunch of companies that dont sponsor them??? Its like free advertising except worse... Your paying EXTRA for the logos... Ive made it a point ever since I starting riding on a big bike level to never advertise for a company that wasnt sponsoring me, and to this day, my bike doesnt have ANY stickers from ANY companies that dont. Now obviously mini's, thats a different story, kids wanna have fun, and when your young, its cool to make your bikes look like the pro's, but when you get on a big bike at a competitive level, why would anybody wanna sponsor you when you run their crap on your bike for free??? C'Mon people!...

I guess Im just tired of seeing Rockstar and Monster all over everything, its not "cool" to run that crap all over your gear and bikes, you look like a dupe, at least to me...

Rant over...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on #2. Why give out free advertising if you get nothing in return. I walked out of 2 dealerships backin '04 when I purchased my '05 because they had their store name/logo on their Yamahas. They sure were not passing on any deal and all I wanted were pure stock graphics.

Now I am left looking for stock replacement graphics in a world where the dealers want twice as much and aftermarket companies have their logo/name/stupid graphics plastered on them. I just want my bike simple and the stock graphics have always been great in my opinion.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jb329
posted Hide Post
Fly

Posts: 303 | Location: Ellensburg | Registered: Wed October 10 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Court321
posted Hide Post
Oneal makes some nice plain, clean looking gear sets for a reasonable price.

Posts: 23 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Thu November 19 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tomsti
posted Hide Post
I had to run Geico graphics on my scoot but the bike is so old the choices were almost zero. So I look like a spud.

My boys like Fly which I may give a try next time I go buy. Except for the Fly logo they were clean with no other advertising. They seem to have some pretty mild looking gear. Probably black whites are your best bet if you are going to be changing out bikes.

Posts: 35 | Location: Sammamish | Registered: Fri April 17 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
There has been a couple mentions of FLY, I personally am not a fan. That is just me though. I recently got some No Fear stuff from their web site on closeout that was the CHEAPEST gear I have ever seen for 2 sets of 2012 gear. 150$ shipped to my front door. The 22 motorsports stuff is bad to the bone. Shift has some cool black stuff as well.
As far as the logos go if you are worried about graphics, just order some custom Fusion stuff and be done with it. That way you are supporting a local company, (with 2 owners that ride and support the mx community). You would also be able to support your other "sponsors". Braaaaaaap.

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
http://www.jtracingusa.com/shop/racewearcat.html

Nuff said

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
http://www.jtracingusa.com/shop/racewearcat.html

Nuff said

Yeeeeuuuuup! Storage Wars...

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mx510:
There has been a couple mentions of FLY, I personally am not a fan. That is just me though. I recently got some No Fear stuff from their web site on closeout that was the CHEAPEST gear I have ever seen for 2 sets of 2012 gear. 150$ shipped to my front door. The 22 motorsports stuff is bad to the bone. Shift has some cool black stuff as well.
As far as the logos go if you are worried about graphics, just order some custom Fusion stuff and be done with it. That way you are supporting a local company, (with 2 owners that ride and support the mx community). You would also be able to support your other "sponsors". Braaaaaaap.

Robert, Graphics arent the issue, Im actually picking up a new set of custom fusion ones I had made up, sometime this week...

Problem is, I dont have anybody to make gear like they make graphics LOL... At least without looking like an ass...haha

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
My next set of gear will be that JT stuff

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Paul, you actually have to be born before the 90's to appreciate that gear...

And Robert, I'm with you on the No Fear, I've got 2 sets of Thor, and 2 sets of No Fear. Hands down the NF is better in every aspect, and better value too.

As for graphics, I generally stick with stockers, unless Waunch gives me Ricky Dietrich hand me downs!

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
I've worn No Fear gear since 2002 and I've never had issues with it. Looks awesome, fits great and lasts! Problem is No Fear got out of the riding gear business so good luck trying to find some. I made the switch to ONE ind. gear recently but after they cut that set off me at Toes, I won't buy anymore... fits poorly and didn't seem to hold up very long.

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:

And Robert, I'm with you on the No Fear, I've got 2 sets of Thor, and 2 sets of No Fear. Hands down the NF is better in every aspect, and better value too.

As for graphics, I generally stick with stockers, unless Waunch gives me Ricky Dietrich hand me downs!

Aaron I like it not so much for the name and history but just that it's clean looking and not so ghetto. I have MSR pants, TLD, UFO, and
Thor. The MSR is the best wearing and best fitting. The TLD is OK but really heavy. I'm looking for a new helmet and am having the same issues as Justin. Everything is ugly.

Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
There are three helmets I will wear.

Shoei, Shoei, and Shoei.

I'm in the market too.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well its good I was born well before the 90's, because I know all about it...

Paul, that JT would be cool, but there isnt a scheme that matches what I got going on...

I think its going to be some black and white gear again, I just have to choose a brand. Ive always been a Fox guy, but it seems like their focus is somewhere other than MX gear the last decade or so... I guess im just going to have so see what a few shops have, and go from there...

Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I had a killer set of JT baggies back in the day, black and white.

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a killer set of JT baggies back in the day, black and white.

I'd like to have a pair of those now

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Anderson:
Paul, that JT would be cool, but there isnt a scheme that matches what I got going on...

Aww now you are going to be a fashionista and be on a badass bike. :-)

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are three helmets I will wear.

Shoei, Shoei, and Shoei.

I'm in the market too.

I'm pretty disapointed in my Shoei helmet. I'm sure the shell is good but everything else is crappy and cheap.

Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post