Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 KX 450 reliabilty!!
 Login/Join

posted
Im in the market to buy a hold over 2012 KX 450, but I have heard a few rumors about some bottom end failures. These stories seem to always go around no matter what make the bike is, but just wanted to know if anyone that has one has had any issues.
Thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon December 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
Ray has been riding his 2012 kx for a year now with only one issue. The check engine lite started flashing with a code for coolant temp sensor. I replaced the sensor connector with one from a spare harness and spiced in an extra ground strap.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Kenny Webster had one that would randomly stop running. The shop could never find the problem.
YIKES!!!! Sounds like fun on a supercross track..... NOT!

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGinnis_339:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXeEIyp1fc
I wonder why the various shots/camera angles? Did they keep restarting a broken motor? Whats up with that? the way its edited is somewhat bizarre!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blaze,

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
When Rays' bike had problems it would cut out going over hard bumps. One other thing the oil filter cover is really tricky to install with the double o'ring set up. Easy to crack the cover or pinch the o'ring.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Got the '13, love it, super reliable so far, just do oil and air filter after every ride and oil filter after every two rides... Stock motor with fmf system, tassanari air box and pro wheel holeshot device and consistently holeshot the intermediates at pala and milestone... Damn glad I didn't get a Honda again...

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
You holeshot . . . . . Do you win?

Posts: 64 | Location: North | Registered: Wed August 31 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info:
I've seen that video before, it seriously looked staged.

Posts: 31 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon December 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mx298:
You holeshot . . . . . Do you win?

Haha beat all the Hondas! Can beat all the 30, 40, and 50 year olds but the young guys drop me pretty quick... I just scalp the small events when there is a big event going on somewhere else, that way all the guys with talent will be elsewhere! The Washougal amateur nationals is perfect for me cause the real fast guys are all at Loretta'sSmile

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for your picture on The cover of Motocross action?

Posts: 64 | Location: North | Registered: Wed August 31 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mx298:
I've been looking for your picture on The cover of Motocross action?

Ahhhhh Dennis Stapelton Sr. is my homeboy, I'll have to ask him to do that so your fantasies can come true!!!

Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
Actually my fantasy does not involve you but thanks for thinking of me! That stuff is legal in this liberal state now along with smokin dope! I am more of a conservative, you know like no ear rings, not stoned, and like women!

Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
MX who are you trying to convince? Me or you? Just kidding bud...

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
auzzi what did you get

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
auzzi what did you get

When? Where? For me it's kinda always the same, "win one or two, crash a few"...
Right now I'm in the "crash a few" part of the story, crashed out my last three motos, waiting for my shoulder to heal up at the moment, hoping it will be ready by Washougal, gonna send in my entry forms and hope for the best...

How you been Sharkey? You gonna race Shougal?