E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    Villapoto out for the outdoor season..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Villapoto out for the outdoor season..
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Its simple....

GET BETTER... Thats how you make money... its called reality... You think this is professional wrestling?? That its just a big show??

Because its the principle behind it, this entitlement mentality is complete BS! Youll be compensated for what you are worth, and If your not cutting it, your obviously not worth the money...

Its competition, THATS what its about, and if its not about that... Then screw it, lets just practice for a living, now thats excitement!

I dont know why people have to think they know whats best for everybody involved, why cant it work itself out the most effective and efficient way possible? Its worked so far...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wilcox
posted Hide Post
The only way for a riders union to work is to have the top ten on board ... plus its it gonna have to be done with someone that the ama and feld does not have a binding contract with them ... i know that the powers that be would try to squash any union before it would form..

ask james Elkle .... google him ... he was there in 97 when the lights went out... as a 3 digit guy he tryed .... then got blackballed

other then jr devol ew and me have you guys ever sat down and read the contract you sign to get a hardcard ??? the rights you sign away ...

a union or whatever wont form until all the haves are on the same page as the have nots ... and i dont see that happening anytime soon

i can tell you the AMA is the big problem ....

when we did AMA supermoto series .... I watched the ama waste so much money and then bitch that the series wasnt making money .... they would collect 35 grand from the promotor for a race that would only draw a 1000 people maybe ...tell me who is making the money there out of that deal ??

Posts: 331 | Location: lynnwood | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Justin does have a point. The problem though is if there isn't more money in it, none of the privateers will show up and the sport will die.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
Justin does have a point. The problem though is if there isn't more money in it, none of the privateers will show up and the sport will die.

So the first place guy makes 5 mil and the tenth place guy makes free suppoprt ride and maybe 50k if he's one of lucky few. Get real its a bunch of hillbillys running the sport. Please show me where you can find a professional sport pay scale like that? Bottom line its 100% up to the riders to make a stand to get paid more it can be done with the right people involved I'm shocked it hasnt happened the sport is 20 years behind.

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
What is the actual pay out from Feld/AMA? I looked at the Honda contingency and they only pay to 10th. Europe doesn't even pay purse money, it all comes from sponsors.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanP
posted Hide Post
TRA-

Other sports aren't quite as bad, but football for example isn't too far away. I'm a huge GB Packers fan... Top paid Packers player (by salary, not counting endorsements) is Charles Woodson who made $10.9 million last year. Add roughly $3 million to that in endorsements (minimum) as well for round numbers of $15 million. The bottom 24 guys on the Packers roster averaged about $400,000 in salary. None of those guys are getting any endorsement money. So, the bottom half the roster COMBINED makes about 2/3 the total compensation as the highest paid guy. Also remember that "bottom half" guys in the NFL get screwed in several ways. The contracts are not guaranteed...they can get cut any time for any reason. Also the NFL is notrorius for letting these "bottom half" guys go by the wayside just before they get enough seniority to get full union pension/retirement benefits.I know some here will say it is different because $400,000 is a lot of cash (vs $50,000 for a high-end privateer)...but...the average career for these guys is about 3 years. Take 55% off of the compensation to pay union dues, taxes and your agent and you get $180,000 per year for 3 years...can you retire on $540,000 for the rest of your life?

I don't feel sorry for the football players in this spot as this is the path they have chosen. At the same time, I wish privateers did better money wise but you know the rules of the game when you sign up.

Also, I think the problem with Supercross/Motocross isn't that the payout is not proportional to performance...it is that the entire purse is too low. RV/RD etc may make $5 million per year, but much of that is endorsement money (just like Tiger Woods makes 95% of his income from endorsements, not prize money). A union won't cure that. In my opinion, the breakdown of purse is appropriate...I just wish for the riders sake the purse that is disbursed was bigger...

Posts: 273 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed February 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Clearly is not its from feld they don't pay hardly anything. The teams and sponors pay for it all. Riders can put agreement together that could control the minimum pay a rider can make to ride the night show and the rides could make feld make the teams abide by it just like how they do everything else and the riders can make the AMA hold feld acountable. It all starts with the riders setting up riders union just like all the other major pro sports have they stood up to the powers that be and demanded it.

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
In all my years on this board, I never thought I'd hear TRA advocating riders bargaining collectively! What's next, Justin voting Democrat?!!?

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
It's the end of the world as we know it

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:
Clearly is not its from feld they don't pay hardly anything. The teams and sponors pay for it all. Riders can put agreement together that could control the minimum pay a rider can make to ride the night show and the rides could make feld make the teams abide by it just like how they do everything else and the riders can make the AMA hold feld acountable. It all starts with the riders setting up riders union just like all the other major pro sports have they stood up to the powers that be and demanded it.

TRA the one difference between MX and all of the other sports is the athletes have contracts with the team. In MX only a select few have contracts. Perhaps they should make the purse money only available to riders who do not have a certain dollar amount of sponsorship money.

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen I know one thing and that is without the riders there would be no show, taking all the bullsht out of it that's the bottom line period, the riders really have the control and then the fans are in the next second position, then feld and ama.
The fans are not going pay to watch sx/mx unless the top premier 40 riders are competing and more importantly tv ratings would go way down.
And no Aarron & Paul this doesn't make me a liberal! lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
In all my years on this board, I never thought I'd hear TRA advocating riders bargaining collectively! What's next, Justin voting Democrat?!!?

Lol... Fortunately, No circumstance, nor substance could ever limit my brain power enough to do such a thing...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well gentlemen I know one thing and that is without the riders there would be no show, taking all the bullsht out of it that's the bottom line period, the riders really have the control and then the fans are in the next second position, then feld and ama.
The fans are not going pay to watch sx/mx unless the top premier 40 riders are competing and more importantly tv ratings would go way down.
And no Aarron & Paul this doesn't make me a liberal! lol

Your rationale is oddly in line with one...

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
it does seem odd this sport cant support more athletes when you compare it to others

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Other sports have really rich owners, really large market TV contracts, fill 80K seat stadiums every Sunday, have really large corporate sponsors.

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Coca Cola wants to buy Monster Energy which is valued at 92 billion dollars and how much is the 20th place 250 lites rider purse? All 40 riders who make the main from first to last place make so little from the promoter that if the promoter up it by five times it still really wouldn't be that much. I'm talkin pro ama sx/mx only not your local pro/am races that's a completely different deal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Coca Cola wants to buy Monster Energy which is valued at 92 billion dollars and how much is the 20th place 250 lites rider purse?...

How much business does the 20th place rider in the lites class generate for Monster?? Not much...

Im sure people are knocking doors down to get a monster because they were in awe of the 20th place rider (Whoever it may be this week)... The top 5 (If even less) are the ones who generate the advertising revenue for the series... Therefore, they should be paid accordingly... Its a pretty simple equation...

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
The top five riders would be not top five if the other top 15 riders weren't racing them so they are definetly just as iimportant part of the equation for all partys involved..

posted Hide Post
How do you figure???

Top five is top five...

Whats important is if you separate yourself from the pack, choose the right lines, and push hard... Not follow somebody elses lines...

You shouldnt be compensated for something you didnt earn, that is the issue.

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Justin the issue is that if the bottom 15 guys can't afford/can't make enough money to justify the costs there would only be 5 guys racing. I'm not sure how many folks would come to see 5 guys racing.