New
Find
Notify
Tools

We ride because......
 Login/Join

Picture of motodad642
posted
With all the attacks and rising costs of our sport, what do you think is the most important reason that keeps everyone comming to the races?

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Geeze Mark, couldnt be because its a blast could it??? Big Grin

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
It's a way to get away from my wife for a weekend Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to start going again so I can look for a wife Smile

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
ROFL Paul.... Justin you know this is true.....Maaaaaaan my wife makes me go with her then makes me work my but off when we get there...LOL... Bearmore you want mine??? Big Grin

Maaaan I gonna be in hot water if she sees this post Eek Eek

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Dont worry, I wont tell Wendy...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Its called a passion thats in my blood! If I dont ride for a week, I go crazy! Like a crazy woman thats PMSing. Everything will be fine when the throttle is in my hand!
I live for teaching others the passion that has kept me out of trouble thoughout the years.
I know many people that go to the track to get that release on life, I dont know many people that go to the track drag their life down!

When you can....go out of your way to pass that passion of riding dirtbikes to the next person!

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
A quote that I think somes me up...

It is better to be a mx rider for one day then a spectator for life.

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I ride because the chicks dig it.

Truthfully, I have a story for this one....

I used to buy my new bikes in Canada every year when Clinton was in office and our dollar was worth $1.64 in Canada. (Shameless political plug)

Anyway, my Dad was in town visiting and I asked him if he wanted to go with me to pick it up. We go up there, pick the thing up, and they give me the third degree coming back across the border. I had SCC MX stickers on the box trailer, so they were convinced that I was importing one CR 250 for sale in the us. The agent opens the door of my truck to search the truck, and there is my Dad, looking almost as surprised as the agent. (Dark tinted windows)

Anyway, the agent says "Are you the owner of Seattle Cycle Center?" My Dad says "I don't even know where SCC is?" The agent responds with "Well, who the heck are you?"

And here is why I ride, I guess. My Dad answers, "I'm the idiot who made the mistake of riding in front of him when he was 6 years old."

So I guess to make a long story short, that is why I ride. Because of my dad. Both my boys ride now, and I am proud to have passed it on to them. Who knows, maybe my daughter might just take it up too.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
Said very well Eric! I feel the same way, only I dont teach anyone! Smile

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Aaron cept maybe a few decades earlier. Go back to WWII and it was my dad that got me in, cept he was sport'n Harley colors and Vespa's. Back then it was that that whole WWII and South Pacific (US Navy) thing going on and he was in it. Wow some stories (but he only talked of the good). I got hooked bike'n by put'n a 1966 160cc Ducati Desmo together in the family basement. A hulk at first but then piece-by-piece it made it back to life. The best part was when it fired on kick #3 (just like pop said) and mom hit-the-roof! (HUGE LAUGHING) cause we were downstairs in "the furnace room" where bikes aren't supposed to be put together (grins). "Don't you ever blanky-blank do that again" she yelled and we, my brother, dad, and I all laughed (under breath) and knew life was good. Same basement's got scratched into an old coal-shoot door "1969 man on moon" scratched into it. Good days.

So even today I hear a Ducati fire up and my ear perk same goes for Maicos but never much liked them Husky things nore those Yellow wonders Suzuki's, not since (1978) when me yellow beast shredded my throttle pinky with it's Fox-Air-Shocks and no shock'n-fer-you. Recently a bud told me to go check out the "new" fox shock - "it's the smak". Me, I broke out in a sweat as I checked out me pinky scars 30yrs later.

Pop and Vespas and Harleys and Guzzies and peeps and dang that's why I ride. Besides crashing on dirt is way better than crashing on asphalt. Just an opinion.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Great story Ken. Thanks. Big Grin

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Eric.
Spent Jr. high years trying to eliminate my selenium rectifier from my SL100.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
I rode the wheels off my old scoots when I was younger.... life came along and had to give it up for years.....The passion still remained.. just a quite little voice.... then came the boy... he saw a bike and went nuts.. so he ended up with a honda 50...rode that thing so hard that the suspenion would bottom and toss him off into the bushes..SO we got him a xr 80... and my brother in law (a x mxer)saw how much my son loved to ride and knew at the time I couldent afford a bike... Bought me a 1987 xr 250 so I could take my son trail riding.
That is the definition of MX peeps!! we havent stoped riding since... I dont race... I just might do it soon... but there is no other place our family would like spending time than at the track, hanging with people we know and meeting new families. And I was reminded this last weekend how addicting this sport is... watching a young man.. looked to be in his early 20's... race for the fist time.... I dont know who was smiling bigger....him or me.

Picture of honda 250r
posted Hide Post
ya i bought Adam a honda 50, He hopped right on it and took off at 116th st. Finally bought him a XR 100 and me a XR 250 we rode the heck out of walker valley<<My brother Wheatie Carpenter was a MXer so I let Adam try it after I got him a CR 80 up at Hannigan. After a few ups and downs he is still racing and doing pretty good>>>>today is the 1st race of season at Hannigan.

Posts: 150 | Location: stanwood | Registered: Sun November 25 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of honda916
posted Hide Post
totally a release. Its definatly my old mans fault though. I probably would be like all the other saps out there that say they would kill themselves if they every tried to ride a dirtbike, if it wasnt for my dad. Oh if they only knew what they were missing out on. Thanks DAD

Posts: 235 | Location: bothell wa | Registered: Thu September 08 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
It keeps me outta jail!

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone that it is the best feeling to ride and a great stress reliever. It is a passion that is in your blood. Those who ride just don't understand.

Having said that.... the reality is that our sport is VERY expensive and if you don't have extra cash then unfortunately you can't ride, let alone race. I haven't started my bike since I did a random scramble in October. 6 months is way too long!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
You've one upped me. I have not been on my bike/started it since the last GS race back in June. After my Dad passed away and my wife left me the same day I figured I need to concentrate on keeping the house that I built from the ground up ($%^&**^ priorities). So I know what you mean about the cash flow. I know how much stress can be relieved by getting on the bike but if you just can't get on it that SUCKS!!!! Hell I should go out to the garage now and at least do some bench racing on it???

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Osaka #627
posted Hide Post
We ride because we all have crazy mini Dad's who are living their dreams through their kids! The kids don't even wanna be there, but the Dad makes them!

Just kidding....

There are people out there like that though. We've all seen it.

The Asian Sensation - Stirring Sh** Since '89.

Posts: 693 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue November 30 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post