E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    sweet one two five's in action
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sweet one two five's in action
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICE_1N8ppw0 - short attention span version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...jAbqc&feature=relmfu - Full version

who doesn't love the sound of a full gate of 125's on the pipe! the first part of the video is the best part.

WHY?! can't we have a 125 class only locally ?! I'd come out n race just for that and I don't really care for racing! NW Two Smoke Nat's !

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool video NO KOOL-AID drinkers there

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Very Good Ride. I was amazed to see how relaxed his hands were, on-the-bars, even though he was into lappers already (7min or so mark).

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Good find Joe!.. Great video.

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joe439:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICE_1N8ppw0 - short attention span version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...jAbqc&feature=relmfu - Full version

who doesn't love the sound of a full gate of 125's on the pipe! the first part of the video is the best part.

WHY?! can't we have a 125 class only locally ?! I'd come out n race just for that and I don't really care for racing! NW Two Smoke Nat's !

Well if you tried out the NWRA series, youd see that we had a 125 class... And a whole 2 riders ever showed up.... So the class got dumped...

Cmon guys, your romanticising 125's... I remember when the 250F's first started becoming popular, I was on probably the most built 125 around (Vern can verify this) and it still wouldnt keep up with the 250F's... Yeah 4 strokes are expensive, but they rule when it comes to having deliverable power... Unless you get ahold of a 500... Thats a whold other ballgame...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They get gates like that in Britan and Europe, if you can't tell that appears to be a British race. The Europeans in some series that I've followed will not allow the "kids" race a 250F until they are 16 so it forces them to ride 125s and probably makes them better riders in the process. To bad the AMA does not do something along those lines meaning a certain age to race a 250F. It always seemed like going from a 85 to a 250F is a big jump for kids to make I think a 125 would be a good bike for them to make the transition on.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NWRA? what? I can't say i've heard of that series ever before, hmmm maybe thats why a lack of people showed up then expect it to just boom over night without nobody knowing bout it really? Didn't even give it a chance cancel after one race and 125's only at least split the class into 125 / 250 smokers till it caught on.

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man I get so tired of hearing people talk about the smooth power of a 4 stroke... Listen to your self people you sound like a commercial. I think at times we want instant results for classes or races to produce results and thats just not reality if nobody knows about the races or the classes.

I would say ask your self for those of us that have riden 125s, did you get that 250F because it was so much more fun to ride or was it because you wanted to be more competitive and not get beat.

I have a blast riding my kids CR125 that I gave him to ride. Sorry to say if you have kids and a family that all ride, 2 strokes are quite a bit more cost effective to own. I may not be a fast guy but I'm still having fun on the trusty 2 stroke.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchracer:
Man I get so tired of hearing people talk about the smooth power of a 4 stroke... Listen to your self people you sound like a commercial. I think at times we want instant results for classes or races to produce results and thats just not reality if nobody knows about the races or the classes.
I would say ask your self for those of us that have riden 125s, did you get that 250F because it was so much more fun to ride or was it because you wanted to be more competitive and not get beat.

I have a blast riding my kids CR125 that I gave him to ride. Sorry to say if you have kids and a family that all ride, 2 strokes are quite a bit more cost effective to own. I may not be a fast guy but I'm still having fun on the trusty 2 stroke.

Cmon fellow SMC'r.... Do I need to let you ride a 450 for the first time??? Wink... In all truthness, I have never ridden a bike with more predictable power than my 450, plain and simple. 4 strokes have more managable power, and a better torque curve than 2 strokes. 2 strokes should be able to put out twice as much power as a four stroke, but they dont because the tech that has gone into four strokes the last 10-15 years has devoloped a 4 stroke that is nearly on par with 2 strokes of the same displacement. I get the hype around two strokes, Ive bought into it a bit, but the reality is, the tech is in 4 strokes and the power follows the tech. So anything more than romanticising a 125 or 250 2 stroke is what it is, there is a reason 4 strokes are in the numbers they are...Hell 2-strokes have to be handicapped to the same class as bikes with half the amount of combustion cycles... that should tell you all you need to know...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
OK my son, If I could have the predictable power of the 1983 CR 480 in the frame I have...
Yet I love the fact that I can run High Octane in the tank, Shell Rotella synthetic in both holes, and still have a bike that pretty much has cost me nothing but chains, Michelins and (let me think a minute...), race anytime I feel up to in OT Class, and loan it to (I lost count) of many younger riders who can haul ass and do good on the CRF450, I gotta side thumper tonite, but back to the predictable 480...

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm messing with you Justin I tell my friends the same thing when they talk up there 450s. I have riden 450s in the past the newest one being a 2010 YZ450 and raced a 2008 YZ 450. They were almost to easy to ride I just had to shift a litte bit and don't get me wrong they are fast. But for me not being a fast guy the 250 2 stroke makes me feel faster than I am and strokes my ego a little more than a 4 stroke.

On the flip side I forget what 250 class I was watching at Lorettas but I did get to see a 2 stroke 250 beat the 250Fs in a moto and he beat them by like 15-20 seconds. Unfortunatly he waded up in the next moto the next day and looked to have hurt his wrist.

I think we could maybe see a push for tech being put into the 2 stroke bikes KTM admits to having a FI 2 stroke that they say they will produce. It will be a trail bike before a MX version comes out due to emissions on trail bikes. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel for people that are fans of the 2 stroke as the ground work has been laid by the snowmobile companys.

posted Hide Post
Im no curmudgeon to the two stroke... The next engine that will be in my frame is a CR500 as soon as I can find an affordable donor... But Im realistic when it comes to four strokes, they are great bikes, plain and simple... Dad mentioned how he hasnt had to do crap to his bike in 5 years, well the most I have had to do to my 450 in the last 4 years is to adjust the valves, and I did that for the first time two days ago. Id probably gone through 4 top ends in that same amount of time if I had a 250, and even moreso, a 125. I know that I was gung-ho about 2 strokes until dad picked up a basically new CR250 a few years back, and I rode it, and frankly I was disappointed... The power of a four stroke is super predictable and makes for an enjoyable ride, whether its on the trail or on the track...

posted Hide Post
Wow! news flash yall JA likes 4 strokes over 2 strokes what a shocker for the reasons you like your 4 I like my 2 get off your 4 strokes are better soap box they are just DIFFERENT! The japanese are not giving us anything new really either just throwing techno crap at them they've had for years and calling it new.

We should have both! unless you wanna go the way of Moto2 or the new Moto3 GP classes and we all ride the same cookie cutter bikes.

Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I am a "curmudgeon" and have worked/ridden both 2x-n-4x for many years now. 4x strokes have traditionally been difficult to work-on (circa 1960's-1990's) like timing and valves, get a Valve off and Grenade an Engine. But then circa 1980’s 2x strokers came up with POWER-VALVES and the playing got leveled. It was as tough to re-assemble power-valved 2x strokes.

For me when breaking down a 4x-stroke became as simple as a 2x stroke I switched. 4x I love the power and maintenance. Now-a days it’s all about Lift-N-Duration (4x Stroker Cam) where as before it was about Port-Height-Location-Grind-N-Flow. I found "flow" a bit tough to deal with.

The Power Valve changed port height in 2x Smoker and to me that was "ok" but never good. A Patch. It wasn't the BIG solution to low-end-torque I wanted - it was just a-band aid. 4x and Cam shape came back/along and things got easier to predict. Add in New-Fangled-ECM (Electronic-Control-Modules) and pre-programmable power-curves and I’m hooked on 4x Smokers.

I like 4x almost every bit as much as a good "Toasted Jalapeno, Onion and Olive Steak & Cheese topped with Chipotle sauce sandwich". 4x is good.

I love my bike, The Red Beast from Da-East does me good.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well at least I have somebody on my side... LOL

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
The finest bike by far I have ever rode period.. was a stock new 2010 Honda CRF250. I could do things on that bike that I never could before, I was sold on it so I gave up on the hunt for the YZ125. I couldn't find one all the new ones sold, so I put my name on a 12. Then luckly the 125 deal came back around so I jumped on it and absolutely luv it total blast and you can go pretty fast on it to. I don't like and can't ride a 250 two stroke they flat scare me, maybe with a very heavy flywheel. 450's are boring to me but there twenty times better than my 86 88 89 91 and 93 CR500 I owned, 500 two strokes are definetly not user freindly motors, maybe for hill climbs!

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My YZ125 is the funist bike I have ever had.

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dave on this one too... We have a YZ125 in the garage and it is an absolute blast to ride...

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KTM did a 2012 intro at Lorretas this year Short on the 350SX and Mike Brown on a 125SX both were cool but to see Brown wring the neck of the 125 was sweet.

I will say I was faster on the 4 stroke but my ego just feels better after I ride the 2 stroke.

If I really wanted to try and qualify or race stuff like Lorettas I would probably end up on a 4 stroke.

Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Ohhh MAN!!! I put my gear on lastnight and busted the chainsaw out (YZ125)!!!! Its been around 5 months since I have rode. My leg didn't bother me. Im in really bad shape though. I do not plan on riding the 450 anytime soon.

Long live the 125!!!
125 power jumping my stepdown tripple!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: E.W. #849,

125-1

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post