Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum is tricky
 Login/Join

posted
Poor sucker who bought that yz250 conversion I showed a few weeks back. Some guy bought it off ebay and rode it 3 laps the owner did the mod's himself he bought it from. That is one piss poor weld job!

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Probabaly used the rod and the MAPP torch they advertise at the fair!

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Can't believe anybody would let that fly! Hope the repair guy is better than the original.

Posts: 55 | Location: arlington, wa | Registered: Tue August 17 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must still be tricky for even yamaha a 2010 yz450f

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KinserMoto438
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

*Let up for a second, and thats where you'll finish!*
-Klete #438

Posts: 114 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Mon November 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn some one else just posted another pic of a 2010 yz450 of this same spar weld cracking the upper left side by the head tube.

posted Hide Post
Dang seeing that 2010 frame tempts me to head out to the shop and dig into mine to ensure that doesn't happen to me. That would be a real bummer deal to a guy that isn't capable of repairing it.

Posts: 55 | Location: arlington, wa | Registered: Tue August 17 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that first weld is totally unacceptable, they really need to get some more time on a TIG machine before attempting projects like that...

The Factory weld just shows you that it doesnt take some shmoe in his garage to induce impurities into a weld... Aluminum has to be VERY clean when you weld it, and thats the only thing that makes it tricky, Laying the bead itself is the easy part, it keeping the part clean that will make all the difference in the world.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize this is a very old post but be warned, if you're doing this yourself don't use brake cleaner. While unlikely it is possible to create a chemical weapons grade gas. Acetone and a stainless wire brush used on nothing else seems to be the most often recommended methods.

I also recommend 7005 series aluminum which you can precipitation harden in an oven next to your pizza or in a powder coat line.

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post