New
Find
Notify
Tools

51 rear
 Login/Join

Picture of TRA-742
posted
I have never felt rear tire skate around so much or feel so unpredictable than this new 51 ive tried out at horn several times. My worn out 756 felt way more planted. My tuner told me to run lower air pressure since it builds up pressure as I'm riding and also check my sag so I will test that next. If that doesn't work then maybe find some old stock 756 or go to S12. I run 12 to 13psi so start at 10 I'm thinking. Anybody else think the 51 feels extremely loose at horn or is just me again like with the jump faces feeling steeper than normal? lol

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never ran an mx51 at horn, but I've heard a few complaints, nothing as drastic as you. I've ran nothing but 756 and mh3's and they feel good, could have been the conditions that day..... who knows

Posts: 55 | Location: arlington, wa | Registered: Tue August 17 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I think the 10 psi will work better. I've ran them on my 450 and my 200 and didn't notice anything drastic, With that said, Rocky Mountain ATV was having a closeout sale on 756's for $35. You may check them out and see if there are any left. I bought one for my 450 because I'm cheap. I think the MX51 is more an intermediate tire, the MX31 would be more close to a 756's softer terrain use.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
TRA!!! Its because your running 13 psi. Never run 13 psi! Bad luck dude! Your tire knows it too.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chaz822
posted Hide Post
404/403 @14psi feels really nice.

Posts: 35 | Location: Bellevue | Registered: Thu July 08 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Me personally...would run the 31's at Horn..

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
Go bridgestone 203/204's or M12/S12 (fr/rear)combos, They hook up good and last forever... or stay with 756's and plan on buying a set of tires every few rides... my .02

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kimball #126:
Me personally...would run the 31's at Horn..

That's what I was thinkin trying the 31 on back. I run the 31 on front it seems to work well. Thanks for the feedback guys. EW849 it's 12.9 or 13.1 never 13 flat!

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
How do the 31's work on tracks like Washougal or Spokane? Horn is about the only sandy track I run on. I do know that the 51's worked great on my 200 2 at the team tortise hare scramble at horn.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
31 in Airway work good, better than a 51 IMO. I haven't been real pleased with the MX series. I want to try out some bridgestones next or go back to the S12 which I liked except in the summer hardpack and on concrete starts.

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
I only use bridgestone 403 and 404....cheaper then dunlap too....Bad part is i dont know of a shop that carries em so its online ordering only for me

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chaz#822
posted Hide Post
RMC + free install Big Grin

Posts: 61 | Location: Bellevue | Registered: Mon November 29 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haney10
posted Hide Post
Mx 516 agreed. Unless they still make the 756 RR. That was my favorite a couple years ago.

Posts: 59 | Location: Tri-Cities | Registered: Tue November 04 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KinserMoto438
posted Hide Post
Michellin Starcross. 12 pounds. All hookup, all day.

*Let up for a second, and thats where you'll finish!*
-Klete #438

Posts: 114 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Mon November 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Kinsermoto is right, you get yourself a set of Starcrosses (I prefer MH3's) and you will experience traction and wear life like you've never felt. I run hour meters too, and they last 10 hours longer than the Dunlops, with better quality of traction during that time too.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
I take it by MX51, you guys are talking about the Dunlop GeoHYPE everybody is running these days?

Everybody thinks Im crazy, but the only tire Ill Run is a Starcross Sand4 rear and an m12 or s12 front. I run 14/52 gearing on my 450 and the only place I have trouble hooking up is Hannegan, and even then I drop down to around 8 or 9psi, and Im golden again. They wear excellent for the first 3/4 to 2/3 of their life and then they start chunking, but I can get almost 2 series out of a set. The tire I have on my bike right now has seen better days, but has been on my bike since before last years goldstar started, raced half of those races, the whole WA state series and all the practicing in between. Even though it looks haggard as all hell, it still hooks up pretty good. I wont run anything else... You guys can talk tires all you want, I dont even worry about it...

Either way, Michelin FTW!

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Got the GEOMAX on the new bike, but will be changing up to the Starcross MH3. There is no better in my opinion.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
I run the Starcross MS3's front and rear. They kick ass at Airway and Toes too. I have never ran a better set of tires anywhere. I was a Dunlop 752/756 guy for 20yrs until my Rep gave me a set of those Michelins...I had been missing out for 20 fricken years! MS3's for me!

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Did anybody see the rear tire mounted on the the JGR 18 Millsaps "display bike" inside the stadium, I think it was Pirelli? I couldnt find any model numbers on it or letters? It was radical design like mini paddle tire, center lug was totaly cupped and almost all the way across..

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I think that is the Pirelli scorpion