New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires
 Login/Join

Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
Alright guys a couple things here. Paul you are right about them still producing mx tires. They just wont have any trucks at the sx or nationals anymore. Turns out the funding from Japan got pulled and while bridgestone says it was due to the bad economy my sources say it has alot more to do with the politics of racing than anything else. How many titles has dunlop won lately? how many signs do you see for dunlop at the track? second, Bridgestones are still the best tires available there is a reason that chad bubba ricky procircut and all the titles winners in the past 5 years or so have run them. They pour development into tires like they are never happy with the designs they have. That is key to building good tires. Bikes and tracks are always evolving and tires should change with the way bikes have. Alot of these tires that people have talked about are 15 or 20 year old designs. They work well but not as well as they could be with some small tweaks.

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Tires that have the technology and development poured into them giving peak traction and performance for one moto might not necesarily be the best tire for a guy or gal who needs them to last more than 3 or 4 rides. We, as consumers, have a different set of expectations of our tires than the SX racer does. Peak traction + longevity over a diverse type of terrain is what I look at, not price. In my opinion, and I have run all of the tires except Maxxis, Michelins Starcross tires are great. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just sticking with what has worked great for me.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
Aaron Greg needs his tires to last. Trust me, when he is not at a supercross the damn tires have to last. As far as keeping a good edge, the Dunlops are by far the worst they are frickin garbage. And Aaron if you have not tried the Bridgestone 403,404 combo you are doing yourself and injustice. THEY ARE THAT GOOD!

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pc#148
posted Hide Post
I used to run 752,756's, but I threw on a Bridgestone!! Wow! awesome traction most everywhere.. And man that thing looks new still and I have probably 8 good rides on it..

Personalized MX Jerseys * Screen Printing * Vinyl Graphics
http://www.facebook.com/tracti...Designs/170997341311

Posts: 189 | Location: USA | Registered: Tue December 02 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I ran them last set when I couldn't get any Starcrosses. They were good, I did notice how they are easier to spin the bike around a 180 corner than the michelin. They didn't seem to last as long to me though. I can say though with the Dunflops, I got 20 hrs out of my last set that came on the bike. They had cracks at 5. I am at 26 hours now on the Starcrosses, same tracks that I rode the Flops, and while I do have some wear, there are no missing knobbies or tears. Now if someone wants to start giving me tires, that's a different story. I'll start running Cheng Shinns if thats the case. (Aren't Maxxis made by Cheng Shinn? When I was a kid those Chengs were considered the worst. Pretty cool how you can just change your name and people think their good now. LOL.)

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of honda916
posted Hide Post
i'm with Aaron on this one. Stock dunlops whatever comes on the CRF's suck. my last set had cracks all over in them some of the knobbys are falling off. I have ran Bridgestone's before and they seem to wear out pretty quick but have great traction. Ran Pirelli's once those had suprisingly good traction but also wore out quickly. Starcross's seem to have great traction and last long. Definately not the cheapest but I will pay more for a tire that lasts longer any day. I hate installing tires.

Posts: 235 | Location: bothell wa | Registered: Thu September 08 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
That's funny that Cheng Shinn has been brought up. A buddy of mine use to put them on his bike WAY back when we would go out to the practice track that use to be out on the Navy Base here on Whidbey. I think he paid $25 each for them but after a few laps he was missing 50% of the nobby's. NEVER would have believed something could be that "well" made if I had not seen it myself. At least they weree able to keep half the nobby's intact.

After a few outings on those his stepfather started getting Larry Ward's 1 ride tires and using them for practice. Those lasted longer than afew laps at least. OHHH to have connections like that.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...-AMA-Supercross.aspx hey greg are you sure?

I think that is exactly what is happening
Brian. Bridgestone won't be supplying the riders the trick racing tires in those series anymore. They will be still selling to the public. One has to wonder how they will do any new tire development though.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Open Class
posted Hide Post
love the 403/404 and I was a 7 year Dunlop guy.

Ok, I still run the occasional 756 front for the sandier/loamier tracks.

---------------------------------------------------------------
"You, you, and you: panic. The rest of you come with me"

Posts: 722 | Location: An island in the middle of a lake | Registered: Sun January 07 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Maxxis

They seem to last much longer than the high budget tires and are much cheaper to begin with.

My opinion is that the average rider can barely tell the difference from one tire to the next on the track..... the only thing I think most riders (myself included) can tell is the difference between a new tire and a worn out tire.

I've found the key to making tires last forever.... just only make it out to the track every 3 months or so and you won't have to worry about it Eek

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
I promise sharky I talked to a bridgestone mx guy today actually so its all good for the guys that buy the tires at the shop. Just hurts me real bad. might have to try some pirelli's

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crater:
I promise sharky I talked to a bridgestone mx guy today actually so its all good for the guys that buy the tires at the shop. Just hurts me real bad. might have to try some pirelli's

Hey what about the Kendas, don't say they are crap I bought em cuz you ran em Big Grin Actually I can't really tell the difference. One day at practice I thought the front forks needed a bit of tweaking and come to find out I had a flat.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Charlie's bike I run Dunlop 756's for arena cross and for outdoors I run Maxxis SI front for all outdoor tracks and rear for Washougal and Horn and just change out the rear tire to a Maxxis IT for harder packed tracks like Pacific Raceways, Oak Harbor Mx and any other rocky or hard packed tracks. Just my .02

Posts: 295 | Location: Sultan Wa | Registered: Wed November 12 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
All I run is the Michelin sand4 rear and s12 front.

I dont even have to worry about traction and they work great everywhere, not just the loose crap.

I have had several sets and one set will last you a full season without traction problems.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I am NOT a great rider and I can certainly tell a difference. Then again other people are much more perceptive on suspension settings than I so we all probably just differ, we're all individuals.

quote:
Originally posted by NaPalm:
My vote is for Maxxis

They seem to last much longer than the high budget tires and are much cheaper to begin with.

My opinion is that the average rider can barely tell the difference from one tire to the next on the track..... the only thing I think most riders (myself included) can tell is the difference between a new tire and a worn out tire.

I've found the key to making tires last forever.... just only make it out to the track every 3 months or so and you won't have to worry about it Eek

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
You guys should get a set of those Artrax's! I hear they are awesome!!! $84 bucks a set too!

LOL