New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cost of crashing
 Login/Join

Picture of B Anderson
posted
Ok just about everyone in here has crashed at least once. Aside from bike repairs, I have a question about the medical costs.
My stepson Sean wiped out in practice during the amateur national at Washougal. He rung his bell pretty good and was knocked out.The EMTs talked me into taking him into the hospital to get checked out. I figured it was the right thing to do and his mom wasn't there with us to make the decision.
I followed up on the ambulance and when I got to the hospital he was in getting a CT scan. He had a good concusion but they released him about 11:00 am. (crash happened 7:45 am).
Now keep in mind he is covered by his dads insurance (Teamsters) but we recieved a bill in the mail the other day for over $21,000. Not sure what insurance is going to pick up but???
Somebody tell me this is an error on the hospitals part. $21,000 for 3 hrs?

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mistake but that is the bad reality of it. My dad had to take a air ambulance ride when his health was bad and it was a 25 minute flight to the tune of $24500!!! I feel what you are saying it sucks to get the hospital bills.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
that sucks and is not right. and just think of all the people getting free healthcare that shouldnt and your paying their bill

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
Healthcare in the U.S.A. works like a lottery.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
CT scans are expensive. When the actual bill is paid, it will be about half that. That's the cash price, the inusrance companies negotiate substantial discounts.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costs are steep, thank god I have insurance. My son wrecked in may 2010 and had a spinal injury. After all was said and done the bills were $160,000. Ambulance, xrays, cat scans, surgery, 4 day stay. Son's damage, 2ea 10 in rods 16 screws, fused t1-t8.
Bike damage-1 chain/sprocket set.

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Wed June 01 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
My femur bill was $55,000. After insurance, Im close to $8000. No new 450 for me.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
We have about $185,000.00 into my wifes pacemaker (covered) but crap that alot of dough for a real simple surgery and a tiny electronic device with a couple little wires.

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm in on this one. First of all There's no such thing as "I'm Covered". Everybody $pays in this game. Saying you're covered only means you've transferred your debt to someone else and that some is....dha-me! My rates go up every time someone gets hurt me included.

To say it only $cost "me" $XXX is a misnomer - it cost all of us something and eventually that something can lead to Hospital Closures, Increased Insurance $rates, ETC. To say it didn't $cost much because one has Insurance only means that for now it didn't $cost much.

Tomorrows another day.

The high rate of which [B Anderson] speaks seems to support my prognosis.

Huy, Adu-Bi-ci-Chud

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
I have some of the best coverage there is...

With that said, it's still a 80/20 plan.

$4600 for chopping off the tip of my finger...45 minute surgery. Luckily I only paid about $700.

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanP
posted Hide Post
Oh how times have changed...

1999 I was racing snocross in Minnesota...cased a double and got smashed by another sled. Trip to the hospital via ambulance (I wish I remembered the trip, but I was out cold), cat scan, several x-rays, 2 nights in the ICU etc...Total bill was about $12,000 including chiropractor bills and PT. With my insurance at the time I paid a $20 co-pay for going to the hospital and had a $50 co-pay for the ambulance ride. $70 total out of pocket...including all PT. The best part was my premium that I paid was about $85/paycheck (employer paid the rest) for full family coverage.

I imagine in today's world, the cost would have easily been double or triple and my out of pocket costs would have exceeded $5,000 based on my current insurance plan...and my premiums now are nearly $500/paycheck...yikes!!!

Posts: 273 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed February 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Everytime I go to the Dr. I'm thankful for my union negotiated medical insurance. Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
When Storme was born he was in ICU for two weeks, bill was over $250,000. Thankfully Sharkey helped pay it... I wonder if he had a choice to pay it if Storme would have made it or not... Damn Sharkey damn... Oh yea and to top it all off I'm an immigrant! The money I saved on insurance this year I spent on a 2012 Cobra CX50JR! Watch out Loretta's here we come!!! I'll be sure and thank you on Storme's sponsor list Sharkey... J/K Sharkey you know we love ya!!!

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
auzzi none of that shit matters to me if you work like the rest of us and pay your share. but if your a lazy ass and stay home and do nothing and get stuff all of us have to work for then i think thats different. i guess its pride but i dont know your situation. maybe your just jerking my chain . my boy went thru the same thing so i guess we have that in common. (born 6 weeks early and still 7 lbs)are you tired of cali yet?

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Listen, I dont wanna get into this too much, because regardless, govt run healthcare cost to service ratio is still WAY more than private HC, HC is still subject to supply and demand. Dad, (less the intricies of the situation, which I understand) you and Sean had the option not to take the ambulance ride and the hospital visit. Who hasnt had their bell rung during a crash? Just because you get knocked out, doesnt mean you need and take a trip in the ambulance, and have a cat scan in the hospital. You made the decision to do so, and you/your insurance are going to pay for it. The more demand increases for a product, the more the cost increases unless supply matches. Until people get the idea that not everything can be put on insurance, and that sometimes you have negotiate your medical bills and pay cash, the price of healthcare is just going to continue to rise.. Thats the price you pay for the best heathcare service in the world.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
No BS there Justin, I always let you decide if you were OK. Sean though as you know , your step brother, wasn't really my decision in the long run 6 of 1 and half a dozen... either way I could have made the wrong choice.
What blows is that 3 hours of attention is somehow worth 20 someodd grand to even the insurance company.
Healthcare reform is definately beyond Obama's resume.

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motokids
posted Hide Post
My pops blacked out (diabetes) and hit his head back in October last year in the Tri Cities, air ambulance to Harbor View, coma four days, spent 31 days in Harbor View, then another 30 days in a life care facility. Ambulance in Tri Cities to KGH, Air Ambulance, Hospitals, etc., over $300,000! Mom's insurance (School District), pops' Vet benefits, she still had to come up with around $25k, so will be paying on that couple months for a LONG time! Health Care System needs some MAJOR work!

Posts: 337 | Location: Home | Registered: Mon August 16 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
I was just jerkin your chain and Cali rules! Surf every two days and ride a different track the other days... Its always 76 degrees and sunny, live 45 min from pala, whats not to love...

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auzzi152:
I was just jerkin your chain and Cali rules! Surf every two days and ride a different track the other days... Its always 76 degrees and sunny, live 45 min from pala, whats not to love...
that is nice. i always wanted to go to pala. looks knarly

Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Its a great facility, a 50 track, 80 track, pit bike track, vet track and national track, they keep them all groomed and watered. My only complaint would be the huge man made obstacles on the lower national track... Built for pros for sure... The vet track is a little to easy and the national track is a little too hard, I either need to commit to getting faster or slower... seems like slower is the more likely of the two...