Find
Notify
Tools

what if topgun was?
 Login/Join

Picture of majorsmx521
posted
held at hornrapids? rain would not be a factor
just day dreaming about sandy berms and full gates........curious if the idea has been kicked around?

Posts: 19 | Location: pendleton | Registered: Thu April 24 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majorsmx521:
held at hornrapids? rain would not be a factor
just day dreaming about sandy berms and full gates........curious if the idea has been kicked around?
It's been held there before and it was good. Washougal ( along with it's rain ) has the prestige I guess.

Posts: 139 | Location: West Richland | Registered: Mon December 26 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love top gun to be at Horn. Washougal this year was rediculous. Don't know if I will go next year just because there is always a chance of rain at washougal and since we raced in the parking lot this year then why wouldn't we race there again when it rains. I feel there was no reason why we couldn't have raced on the motocross track on Sunday.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kennewick, Wa | Registered: Wed July 04 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moto_x151:
I would love top gun to be at Horn. Washougal this year was rediculous. Don't know if I will go next year just because there is always a chance of rain at washougal and since we raced in the parking lot this year then why wouldn't we race there again when it rains. I feel there was no reason why we couldn't have raced on the motocross track on Sunday.

Obviously you have never ridden Washougal in the mud. It cracked me up how many fast guys couldn't ride that grass track.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I do agree that Horn would be a good change.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I liked the grass layout but then I didn't have to ride it. It reminded me of my first race at Goldbar WA.

I'd abandoned my high school girl friend for the day and strapped my new 1976 400cc Maico World Beater Coffin Tank wonder machine to a single rail trailer hitched to pure Pontiac Power (1965 GTO sportn' 4:11's and Micky Thompson's (50's)). Grass every where! Pat Jackobsen too.

Signed up in a "Junior" class cause I was no beginner. Got a good start (1st) and walked away (fer half-a-lap) until I discovered what everyone else already knew. Da Wall. Endo loop and sucking air. Ok it was only a couple feet high but at speed it sucked me up and spit me out. There I was laying on my back somewhere on a track and marveling-and-scared about the bikes going by. I was hooked!

It was a rainy day (it always rains on us "Westies") and there I was flat out on my back Hero-to-zero. So what was I supposed to say to my girl now...Argh! Not much is what. I just rolled up to her door soaking wet (washed down with water hose) and with 6" plastic trophy in hand and said guess what. Still got that trophy. Dude(s) and Dudette(s) everyone needs a trophy.

Hi Babe...guess what!

So when Monday Sept 2009 rolled around and I got my first glimpse at Top-Gun's 2009 track I couldn't believe it. It had to be the best track ever. Up-to-and-including a most outrageous 90' rubber band start. It was 1976 all over again and Roger DeCoster lived yet again. At least in my mind he did.

I didn't ride but I sure did have a good time watching all those that did. Ya know my dream is that one day I will be talking about one of you NW peeps in the same terms as Roger. Come to think of it I already do. I my mind at least.

The track had virtually no jumps, plenty of turns and gone were any semblance of timing-anything. It was man and machine competing against one another and the terrain. It was 1976 all over again. Wahoo!

2009 Top Gun...Thank you Ted, Garrett, Royce. All the DeVols.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of majorsmx521
posted Hide Post
Devols did a great job with the call to race the grass track
that must have been tough for them
horn is a awesome track year around rain or shine
washougal is epic or bad never just good
thats the chance we take at that time of year
with the cost to do top gun
would be nice know you are going to race the main track
rain or shine

Posts: 19 | Location: pendleton | Registered: Thu April 24 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had we tried to run the National track we would have had only a survival race and the 50 and 60 class would have been determined by who got the farthest in the lap. The racing actually turned out very good I thought. You could watch the entire 2 minute + track from the top of the hill and there were more passes during the event than any race I've seen.
Of course we could have raced at S.I.R..

Anyone think that was better even on a good day?

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad_mxer317
posted Hide Post
yeah i do

Posts: 1034 | Location: TUMWATER | Registered: Tue November 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Gun was a blast. My team was probably 60/40 on the grass track, at least the race was able to go on even though the weather was less than great. The small bikes would have been buried in the mud on the big track like in years past @SIR for the Dealers Challenge. Seriously I had kids that hated the grass and others (more) that were stoked to ride it, and appreciative for an alternative under the circumstances. We've done Top Gun @Thurston Co, Horn and Washougal...and it's fun no matter where we go! Thanks to the Devols for making it happen!

Posts: 43 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moto_x151:

Wow you must really love horn, let's see run Top Gun at a famous track or at a track that most people outside of Washington have never heard of: don't think that's what the promoters are shooting for. Top Gun was held there in 2003 and it was pretty heavy, Villopoto was on his supermini battling out with Weimer in the B class and Seibler and Abrigo in the Pro Class.

This year's grass track didn't give Whitlow any problems, maybe move off of the main line and you'll have more fun next year.

Posts: 40 | Location: yourname_NO_SPAM@aol.com | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Whitlow was amazing on that track.

Picture of majorsmx521
posted Hide Post
washougal one of the greatest tracks ever!
just not in sept
as for moving off main lines that grass track was beat by the end of the day
devols put on a great top gun this year,
with the rain could not have made a better
call than to race the field
horn is a great track that just needs a chance with the improvents made this year
its better than ever showers real bathrooms
lots of rv hook ups
two tracks to choose from, i see some great points with the expectations, and money spent for top gun hard to have fun in a field

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
only bad thing about horn rapids would be getting home over the pass that weekend would be a nightmare. on a regular weekend its backed up a hour in the summer but that one would not be good

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ivest4
posted Hide Post
Horn would be a perfect setting for the Top Gun. If you're worried about traffic go through Leavenworth and Wenatchee via Highway 2.

Posts: 388 | Location: Arlington | Registered: Tue January 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
I posted this in the other thread with some ideas about horn and top gun. Not sure if everyone has seen it or gave their 2 cents.

I would have to agree on this one for sure. I also was going to talk to gerrett about an Idea I had... IF it were to be held at horn rapids, lets utilize the whole facility. Saturday (day) run the night track, sunday make it over to the MX track and on Monday open it up to a GP style race like P.R.O. had there last year. Connect the MX, Quad and 4X4 tracks with long motos on Monday.

I think this would be a blast and I mentioned it to some others and they seemed like it would be a fun and interesting race with variations of MX. Like the MINI O's in florida with different days having different tracks. After this year at Top Gun I think it's going to take something a intersting and different to attract the riders.

What do you guys think? Gerrett.... Ray...?

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivest4:
Horn would be a perfect setting for the Top Gun. If you're worried about traffic go through Leavenworth and Wenatchee via Highway 2.
that isnt much better on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!!

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drew, We would be up for that.
we can just wait and see what the devol's would like to do. it could be done.
thanks for the input.

Posts: 157 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Tue December 19 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also as a reminder Track is Open Sat Nov 7th till 3:00pm. Sun is EWDRA X-country annual fall race. Mx Track Closed on Sun.

The following weekend Nov 14-15 is Final rnds of the "Black Widow" Mx Championship Series.
Triple Moto Sat and Dbl PTS Sun.

From there we are open thru Dec 15th.
Thanks to all once again for all of your continued support and there are some good things happening already for 2010. Schedule should be complete for 2010 by Jan 1st.
Hope to see ya soon!

Posts: 157 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Tue December 19 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post