New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is motocross officially dead?
 Login/Join

Picture of mx298
posted
Last round of Gold star at port angles, perfect weather. . . . Great track . . . One 250 intermediate (old 125cc class) shows up. Back in the day that would be a full gate. I understand its the gold star but no one showed up! MX is DOA!

Posts: 64 | Location: North | Registered: Wed August 31 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been noticing that the beginner classes and peewee classes have been shrinking. Practice days seem to be carrying the tracks better than the races, offroad events are still doing well though

Posts: 83 | Location: brush prarie | Registered: Sat March 05 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
I was there. I'm wondering how many made the trek to Washougal? I'm thinking $$$$$$$ has a lot to do with attendance. I would like to think that the majority are choosing to put food on their table rather than race.

Show up at a race and all I see these days are triple mortgaged houses so that everyone can drive a motorhome and their kid WILL be the next JMc, RC, JS, RV............

The days of seeing waves of tents are gone. Bring back the tents and I am sure more people will be there weekend after weekend instead up waking up one day and seeing they can no longer afford to race because they got in way over their heads = dwindling #'s.

That's my $.02 and so with that said since I've tented it for 30 years; I'm headed out to look for a toy hauler Smile

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Dying, but not dead.

I see smaller race series starting to be the theme. Local 4-7 race series that helps with travel so most can just drive up for the day.

But...

4k for a 50cc bike (yes you can buy used, but a gamble)
9k for a 450cc bike (yes you can buy used, but a gamble)
$10 gate/ $20-$30 for practice /Spectator fees?? WTF?
$30 entry
$50?,$100?,$200 for gas???
$30-$100 for a weekend of food (depending on family size)
Truck? Trailer? Camper???

My weekends are around $300-$350 including my son's race fees (he rides 2 classes, I ride 2 classes)

Well kids, you are looking at one of the most expensive sports to be involved with. Right up there with Hockey.

Idea's?

- Multi-class fee discounts
- Free Practice! Ooops, I know...that won't work
- 2-day race weekends (most places do this)
- Bring 2-strokes back! Stupid OEM's...
- Promoters are being too greedy??? (Sorry Ted, don't yell at me! Haha. Thanks again for coming out to Helena! It was great to see you guys making the trip.) I know its a business, but what can we do to help the shoe string budget folks?? $10 Beginner and Amature classes??? IDK..just ideas.
- Sponsors to help off set costs of the promoters? Equipement? Fundraisers?? Raffles??

Okay, that's it for now...this is just off the top of my head.

I know there are much more knowledgable people than me out there with better ideas. Let's see what you have...

Jason #808

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one. I know that promoters are not getting rich doing what they are doing, most do it for the love of the sport. There are cheaper ways of doing things, people have to be willing to scale back and do it that way though. One thing that I do think has hurt numbers across the board is that there are SO many different series, tracks and promoters running against each other all the time. Back when I got into racing in the mid nineties there was really only a hand full of series being run. It was mainly the Gold Star, WA state, Pac West and the Arenacross series, with scattered cool one off races here and there ( examples Scott days at Washougal, Dealers Challenge at SIR etc). I dont think I have any answers but too me it seems as though all the competition for race dates might hurt EVERYONE, and not many people can afford to do multiple per year. Just my .02, braaaaap, long live MOTO!

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I also think it is the cost. With that said, I think there are too many classes which limit the number of laps. Back in the olden days, you A,B,C and pro classes in the standard bike sizes. Do we really need an umlimited class or school boy and college boy and 80 and super mini. Back in the olden days, we had 20 minute motos, more staggered starts. You can go practice for 20 bucks and get hours of ride time.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
It's seat time. I practice and get 2.5 hrs on the meter, race, and get .8 for the same money. It's basic bang for buck. Plus I think more people are riders than racers.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
Someone once said "racing is dangerous". We are professional practicers but with PA being a practice sat. Race Sunday and a good time to see where the kid sits speed wise. Was a Long day! Being 300 miles away from a PRO race there is nothing else in this area. How long can track stay open with turnout like that? Went to Monroe two weeks ago and 2 pro's and 2 int's (most all from bellingham) and no supermini's. At least Hannegan will get 10 int' and 7 or 8 pro's on Thursday nite! Contrary to what Mitch Paton says it's a rich kids sport! Heading to the great white north this weekend.

Posts: 64 | Location: North | Registered: Wed August 31 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of us have quit because of the serious injuries and deaths that have occurred.

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
I second that mxaniac. I'm over it do to injury...
But I will say that it didn't matter how much money I ever made, I was always broke due to Motocross. The more I had, the more I spent on it. I think that is just the way it works

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
There has been a lot of injures lately, is it that the bikes are just too fast(450's are stupid fast) or is it the tracks are to dangerous? I know tracks have changed when the 450's showed up! My +40 friend John got carted off to harbor view last Hannegan race with some bad injures and the track had been changed!

Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Bigger, heavier, more horsepower. Some bike are 40lbs heavier than the bikes of 10 years ago. Most mortal humans can't handle the power and weight of modern motocross bikes. I had to go back to the 2-stroke. At 158lbs, the 450 was waaaay too much for this little guy.

2003 CR250 – 46.5HP – 212LBS
2013 CRF450 – 51.55HP – 234LBS

2003 KX250 –44.6HP – 214lbs
2013 KX450F – 55.1HP – 251lbs

2003 RM250 –44.3HP – 212lbs
2013 RMZ450 – 54.10HP – 249lbs

2003 YZ250 – 45.5HP – 212lbs
2013 YZ450F – 55.2HP – 245lbs

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
Washington state series hannegan round Sunday, zero 250 int. (the kid rode in 450 class on his 250). The track had numerous changes, ripped and watered and no one showed up! Motocross is on life support!

posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Same story everywhere. Tracks are now happy if they get 100 riders,that's a good day. 500/600 for opening rounds of the PAC west are a very distant memory.
Cost of racing is problem #1. Promoters are not reaching out to get new riders interested in racing. If you get a new family into the sport they will be spending money for at least several years,yet tracks want instant income. Talk with local promoter all the time about increasing rider count rather then increasing fee's. More and more racers are doing less expensive stuff,three of my kids who used to race now do dual sport rides= more fun and less expensive for bikes and entry plus way more riding time. Problem goes all the way to national pro level,guys at Utah not in the top 10 lost money racing,guys below 40th paid a lot to have 1/2 hour of practice. Compare to any other pro sport and we come up way short. JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Amen Greg and Jr. Our local track charges 30 bucks plus spectator fees and is empty every time I've been there. I guess most have given up as the cost is prohibitive. I've always thought more riders for cheaper fees would drive a tracks success but maybe they would rather have less riders and more money, as it takes less upkeep. Who knows. Either way, mx is dead here in Snohomish County north.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
I found a 40 rider gate of 250 intermidete's, Top Gun!

Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
That's Portland. It's about like SoCal!

posted Hide Post
I did the 125 dream race today they had 40 riders in the 125 jr and 30 - 32pro/int and i about the same in the 250 2 stroke class. biggesst classes cept maybe 30+ c i am done with racing cost and lack of track time kill that. Too many classes and sitting around all day kill fun factor I came to ride not sit and watch all day so I hit practices and it's no secret Everybody knows this.

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really think offroad racing is the next big thing. Plenty of ride time and mx tracks incorparated into the design

Posts: 83 | Location: brush prarie | Registered: Sat March 05 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx298
posted Hide Post
Trackmaster, the only problem with that is it's not motocross. I get the seat time thing as we are professional practicers. But this year my son moved up to big bikes (just turned 15) and he wanted to see how fast he was. So he raced from Canada to Vancouver and ended up racing local pro's because no one is racing 250 int. Top gun is the only place that has full gates but you do one moto a day and I took out a 2nd mortgage. Practicing is not racing and off road is not motocross! Like the title says. . . . . .