New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting rid of the unlimited class
 Login/Join

Picture of E.W. #849
posted
See who wants to get rid of the unlimited class.

Question:
Do you want to get rid of the unlimited class? example: And only have your 250f and 450f classes.

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
Getting rid of the unlimited classes might not go well with some, but obviously people want it gone. But if you think about it, taking away the unlimited classes might not sit well with the pros because that's taking away a chance to make a lot of money each weekend. And also, I believe most brands pay contingencies in the unlimited classes which attracts a lot of racers. More laps each moto for fewer classes (a positive) with less of a chance for racers to make money (a negative) and also less money to p.r.o. for not as many classes for people to sign up in (also a negative)... just a thought.

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
???
What purse?
quote:
make a lot of money each weekend

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a rider myself with adult children.I think we should get rid of ALL those multiple classes for small bikes,what a waste of my time waiting for my turn on the track!!
OK no hate mail from the pee-wee parents,please. Trying to point out we all want stuff for our own purpose.I have a kid who rides pro,so I want more pro$$ I want more support,Iwant,Iwant ,I WANT.
More people watch the pro class than the 450 beg just a fact.GO to SX and see 50,000 people pay to watch,again just a fact. Ted,Leach,Elane all have to make a profit to be there,aaaaagain just a fact. Why exactly do we need to get rid of the Unlimited Class? More laps,more track time,if so. Race weekend,Friday practice(fee to help with profit) guys who want more practice step right up. CUT PRACTICE down on race days,start racing earlier! People running some of these races seem to think we need a 2hour rider meeting,most of us have been to races before if not we can ASK QUESTIONS. IF you want to practice ,go to a practice,if you want to race come prepared to race. After doing SX maybe a little short. JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
The way the classes are all jacked up now I don't see the need for an Unlimited Class for every classification. When they started doing it (in about '01) it was neat, it was 1 long moto and you had guys on 125's, 250's mixing it up with a few 4 strokes.

Now the Unlimited Class is just a 2nd 450 class.
You can ride a 250F, 350F, 250 2 stroke or 450 in the "450" class. So I just don't understand what the difference is between Unlimited and 450?

You can ride a 125, 250F or 250 2 stroke in the "250" class. Which does not promote anybody wanting to race a 125 since they have to ride against 250's.

Why even have different cc classes?

I hope we end up going back to the old school format and it looks like this:

125(fun class for adults and important for younger riders and cheap!)

250 (2 stroke or 4 stroke)

Open (450's)

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets just combine the last 2 posts, we can have 125/250/Open with a pro class in each.

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of less classes and more laps, but I only have a 450 right now, and I dont want to just go race 1 class! I would at least keep unlimited for the pro class

Posts: 82 | Location: mill creek | Registered: Sat November 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
i dont care what classes they have.As long as there is a way for my son to ride 2 classes with 1 bike(250F) . Im not sure if a 6 or 7 lap moto would satisfy his itch to race and am skeptical you can add much more then 2 laps by eliminating a class,but maybe. One thing i do like it would give you a chance to actually catch up and pass some people if you got a bad start or crashed. With 4 laps they have now thats wishful thinking other then a handful of guys.

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The unlimited classes are some of our biggest classes. Why would we drop them? As Powers said. Ditto.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ..::MOTOX155::..
posted Hide Post
Our reasoning to have the Unlimited classes is to have a 2nd class to ride, without having to purchase another bike. Which a lot riders now days only have a 250F or 450F not both like back in the day when a 125 and 250 could be easily owned and maintained.

Times and manufacturers have changed this for us!

Quick summary w/o Unlimited/Schoolboy/Collegeboy, etc:
* Less revenue > less pro payout > less contengencies
* Less classes with same number of entries > more qualifiers > more motos > less track time > less motos to ride

The one thing you have to understand is for events with 100-350 entries it's a whole different ball of wax then 351-600 entries per day.

I really appreciate everyone's input and I hope you do see the promoters side as well. I beleive that consistency is key when promoting events, so you the customer/racer knows what to expect. Changing things drastically just makes it harder on everyone!

Posts: 214 | Location: Washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to rock the boat and make some huge drama topic. But plain and simple there needs to be less classes and more laps for the riders.
Getting rid of a few classes and have a time efficiently ran program is would be the way make it happen.

I know it would be a hassel when laying out the race order. When it is put together, having a slower class after a faster class. This way you could start the next race before the last rider is off the track. Same with practice.

Every minute saved will add up fast. 39 races times two. Save a minute each race. Thats almost an hour and a half right there.

Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E.W. #849:
I wasn't trying to rock the boat and make some huge drama topic. But plain and simple there needs to be less classes and more laps for the riders.
Getting rid of a few classes and have a time efficiently ran program is would be the way make it happen.

Well said.
I know it would be a hassel when laying out the race order. When it is put together, having a slower class after a faster class. This way you could start the next race before the last rider is off the track. Same with practice.

Every minute saved will add up fast. 39 races times two. Save a minute each race. Thats almost an hour and a half right there.

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right on EW, well said!

Posts: 145 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Tue March 29 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember limits on race size/rider entries?

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
As much as it pains me to say this, I can understand Ted's side. He needs to make money and that means more classes. As far as practice goes, I know when I go to the race I need as much practice as possible cuz I don't really know the tracks. The 2 laps is a bare minimum and you really can't throw more riders on the track during practice as it's to crowded as it is. Combining more classes would help, as well as more aggressive staggered starts. The thing that can really slow the program are injuries, not sure how we fix that other than remove the motorcycles and have everyone walk the track Smile. I guess it comes down to the same point, we all know it's an expensive sport and the seat time vs dollar equation will never work out.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully there are fewer crashes this year than the last few openers. They have slowed the track down quite a bit with the new changes. This should mean more laps and less waiting for everyone. I think there will be fewer injuries because of this. Some may bitch that the track has no flow, but every year the first round seems to have way too many ambulance rides.riders have not practiced as much as they would have liked and are not quite up to speed to go fast on a rough track. Fewer ambulance rides or stopages due to injury should mean more laps and less waiting for everyone. Hope I am right!

Posts: 145 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Tue March 29 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
have fun over there steve we will be at the next one though.

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
have fun over there steve we will be at the next one though.

Your not even going???? Spence needs seat time

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to go but I will be in London

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have been to some races where the beginner 50s run a smaller layout to the tracks maybe there is one option there. Another is to put the fast 50 riders into a split gate with the 65s unless the parents are just cherry picking and want to race the slow kids. I agree that if the tracks are a little safer you might get through the motos faster with less crashes and injuries, It may not be what the pro riders want but you guys can go fast on any track right. I second EW on putting a slower class behind a fast class to start the moto faster.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post