Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRO 3/7/10 Horn!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I brought my moto stick(dirtbike pogo stick) out to horn and leaned it up against the tower for a few hours,raced, went back to grab it later on saturday and it was gone...who jacks someones moto stick ? ughh if anyone knows who took it text me or something, or if you took it to be funny, fine whatever, just give it back...it says kimbo103 on the front.

Posts: 3 | Location: kennewick wa | Registered: Mon March 08 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:
MR MXNUT It was about the 96 era or so when 12 rolled out on one day- yes I know its hard to imagine but it for dam sure happened I was there it was fkn nuts! Back then HORN was way more Narlier had quads that took 4TH gear pinned on a 250 two stroke (i only trippled it but i remember howels dad used to quad it regularly on a ktm250) plus the track had huge tabletops and the protaper was called the pro double it was Big. I dont think the bikes back then had as advanced suspension as they do now either. Where you really there back then?

Was I really here? Yeah Ted I was. Not that it matters but I have lived and raced here for 30 years.
But you know you have a point about the superior machines/suspension. The tracks were so rough and knarly back then we couldn’t hit the berms, straights and jumps like we can now a days.

Posts: 18 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Fri March 14 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW...someone is stirring the pot.

Posts: 91 | Location: TOES | Registered: Fri December 11 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mxnut:
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:
MR MXNUT It was about the 96 era or so when 12 rolled out on one day- yes I know its hard to imagine but it for dam sure happened I was there it was fkn nuts! Back then HORN was way more Narlier had quads that took 4TH gear pinned on a 250 two stroke (i only trippled it but i remember howels dad used to quad it regularly on a ktm250) plus the track had huge tabletops and the protaper was called the pro double it was Big. I dont think the bikes back then had as advanced suspension as they do now either. Where you really there back then?

Was I really here? Yeah Ted I was. Not that it matters but I have lived and raced here for 30 years.
But you know you have a point about the superior machines/suspension. The tracks were so rough and knarly back then we couldn’t hit the berms, straights and jumps
like we can now a days.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>€

Okay okay mxnut I beleive you where there I was just joking.. go ahead and roost me at the next race! lol

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Message to Piglett: Please be at the tower at 7:30 Saturday morning March 27th to get geared up to flag for us. Since we "Blatently dissregard safety" at our events, we could use some experts like you.

mxnut. Just because my post dropped in following your post does not mean I'm taking shots at you. You and tra-742 are correct about how rough it used to be. The track this last weekend was not rough at all. I rode Richland during the big pac west days when 450 rider attended. Last weekend I rode and it was not rough at all in comparison. Dodge National, Mammoth Mountain, Lake Whitny, Vegas. That's rough. Ask anyone that has been there.

Richland used to be very dangerous because it was more sandy and the city dozer operator had never ridden a motorcycle and could not build a correct jump. They didn't work on the track at half time or any other time during the day. People would be out there constantly, with shovels fixing very dangerous jumps. All the jumps would have deep ruts with extremely nasty bumps in the ruts that in the afternoon you could not see.

At our next race we will have dialed the flaggers in more. Those of you that are expert flaggers and posted so on here will I'm sure help out with some on the job training with flaggers that need some assistance in that area.
And yes I will pay you if you walk the walk.
I don't know who most of you are, but you know who I am. Step up to the plate and say who you are here. At least Dillman had the balls to. And believe me, no one said anything as offensive as Dillman on this subject. Even those who've had negative stuff to say don't shy away from talking to me at the races. It's your race and it's my job as the promoter to do everthing in my power to make the customer happy.

No I'm not going to grade the whole track before your or your kids moto! I knew you were thinking that!

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
I personally have this video and make my club watch it 2 times a year. They need to sign off before they can flag for our club.

The Brett Downey Safety Foundation has shipped over 300 of The Instructional DVD’s to track owners and promoters at no cost. The Foundation continues to reach out to track owners and promoters by offering this DVD. The video provides flagging instructions that explains everything from the flag system to proper positioning. It is approximately twelve minutes long. The video’s intended use is for Track owners and/or promoters to view with their experienced caution flaggers on a regular basis as well as new hires. The track owners and/or promoters should hold a Q & A session after viewing the video to further assist in comprehension of the information given from the video.

The Brett Downey Safety Foundation strongly believes caution flaggers are a key component to increasing the safety standards in motocross and tracks should provide a sufficient amount of caution flaggers at every practice and race. The DVD is Free! to every track owner across the nation. The Foundation is offering this video for free in “good faith” to track owners in hopes they will agree to hold safety meetings at their track with their caution flaggers on a regular basis. At these meetings the caution flaggers can view the video and discuss how they can improve safety at their track. Many different industries such as construction or even retail require their employees to attend and participate in a safety meeting on a regular basis. Motocross tracks should do the same. The video will be a great tool to assist track owners in these types of safety meetings. Furthermore, The Brett Downey Safety Foundation challenges every track to hire at least one or two additional caution flaggers this year. A safe track starts with educated caution flaggers, a safer track has enough of them to do the job correctly.

http://www.mxsafety38.org/

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Ted are there any video flagging lessons out there, from the Brett Downey foundation or others? Perhaps it would be a good idea to make one and show it to the flaggers before each race. Some how the flaggers need to be trained. The track is what it is. You do a good job of keeping up with that.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ivest4
posted Hide Post
Ted, you know who I am .... Clarence Ivester #4 and no.... not Carmichael. If I wasn't racing I'd be flagging. Flagging in alot of ways is also pretty fun considering you're right there with the action! I've flagged for Supercross the last 6 years and it is really a rush. One thing I like though is that everyone has mini radios to listen to the track boss.. that being Mike Larocco Sr and let me tell you... If you don't have your sh**## together he'll let you know!!! That might be an idea in that someone in the tower could help manage the flaggers.. although Brian does a great job of letting everyone know what's happening.

Posts: 388 | Location: Arlington | Registered: Tue January 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off I was not at the race so I can not say if the track was one way or another. But what I can say is that I know that the DEVOL team would never put on race or build a track with the intention of hurting riders. As most of you know TED is all about our sport. You may like him or dislike him but you know where he stands when it comes to keeping our riding area's open and putting on races. As for making money, why shouldn't he be allowed to make money. He takes a big risk when it comes to putting these things on. Its not like he just woke up one day and put this event on and 800 riders showed up. He built the PRO series over time and I am sure he has lost plenty of his own money starting this series . If he had a bad product then I am sure we wouldn't even be talking about the PRO Series. Everyone has a choice before they sign up or line up on the gate. If you walk the track and see the jumps are too big or you think this is not for me, or there is a safety concern then ask for your money back, if you do not get the results your looking for. (This would need to be done prior to your first moto ) and I am sure Ted would have no problem with that.
As for flaggers, Should there have be more? I assume so according to everyone's post. But its not like Ted or anyone else can go to the the flggers union of motocross and prehire a set number of flaggers. I am pretty sure he only put's out on the track as many people who decide to Volunteer there time .(or get paid for it). I don't think TED would turn down someone who came up to him and said they wanted to FLAG on race day. I must say that on race day is there a tougher job at the track? They sometimes have to sit in one spot for 12hrs at a time and receive little or no pay for it. Most of them have normal jobs and work during the week. I cant imagine any one who does it ,does it for the money , but rather for the sport or just to help out and to keep our riders safe. I say this because I hope that no one yells or insults a flagger at the next race you attend because they didn't flag the way you would like. I know they are trying there best with no training most of the time I think we really need to thank them for what they do. Someone made the suggestion of a video prior to the event. That sounds good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: T-MONEY 117,

Posts: 336 | Location: MT VERNON WA US | Registered: Mon November 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I actually did step up and voice my concerns on sunday at the base of the tower person to person. (the person said he was in charge) When I was voicing my concerns never once did anyone suggest I take a flag to a jump. I would have gladly. I will pick up a flag any day of the week if it will help keep riders safe. Never did I say I was an expert flagger but if my concerns are not valid then there would be no need to change anything for the next races. I didnt get the name of who I did talk to and am not familiar with the Devol team but I will say that he did listen and said two flaggers were let go the day before and he would be covering concerns with his staff and Ray after the races.
I apologize if I have offended because that was not my intention. I just stated what I and many others witnessed on this last event (Sunday) and not any other events.

Tara Smith
smithtara@q.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ppiglett2,

Posts: 2 | Location: Middle WA | Registered: Mon March 08 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HANDY 417
posted Hide Post
dude randy give ted a break its hard to make everything perfect when u got 800 plus riders everyday.chill out man i think the track was awsome ya there could have been a little better lay out but it was really fun a diffrent thats what i liked about it.and its hard to find flaggers the day of the race to lay off jeez.and i dont see u having a big p.r.o series so why dont u go make ur own race then u can talk untill then keep all ur B.S to your self.
and ya you should go get some golf clubs cause ur not cut out for motocross everyone that races knows there is risk behind the sport and if u cant handle that then sell all ur stuff and get out of the sport.

Posts: 18 | Location: FEDERAL WAY | Registered: Wed June 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Handy! I already play golf a little,not very good at it though! I will take your advice and do some soul searching on the matter!

Posts: 29 | Location: Sunnyside WA | Registered: Tue January 26 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
seems like the pro turnout was low? where were these guys potter, abrigo, crater,metzler,to name just a few

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teddy,,I logged in tonight to hear of the incident i heard of...You know we have been good friends for over 20 years.Heres my take(and you know i always give you my say).Promoters come and they go,,your family has devoted alot of time to continuing to promote racing..However when the 4-stroke came to play the racing changed ??.Although flagging has allways been questioned ??.Flaggers are a easy and cheap hire,,But they have sooo much responsibility they dont even know.As the day goes old they become even more un-aware..Ive seen too much of this in my time.I suggest building a track capable for a expert 125 rider to clear and spend more time educating the importance of flagging !!.Good luck my friend and really you should pass the baton in this day and age of racing..Screwy

Posts: 2 | Location: screwydesigns@hotmail.com | Registered: Wed June 03 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Sharkey:
seems like the pro turnout was low? where were these guys potter, abrigo, crater,metzler,to name just a few

I saw Crater leaving there but had no bike with him.Atleast it was his truck...

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crater just had shoulder surgery not to long ago.

Posts: 440 | Location: Royal city | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screwy. PASS THE BATON!!? That's a walking cane not a baton. And I'll whack you on the mellon with it for even suggesting putting me out to pasture, you ,you two smoker.
You are very correct about the job of a flagger.
It really is hard work.
We had 2 additional flaggers on Sunday compared to Saturday.

The people have spoken on this subject and believe me it will be improved for the March 27th and 28th event.

It was a low professional turnout with 20 Pros.
It was a bunch of reasons. Broken bikes or body parts and at other events. It sounds like more are planning to get to the next one.

Copy that Tara.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I was there Sunday (3.7.2010). 4:30AM wake-up call and head east from Gods country (N. Bend WA), 5:45AM burger call (Ellensburg) for a 7:30AM arrival time at the-Horn.

Had a hell-of-a-time all day. Hated to see Flynn #62 go down. Loved the pro-class racing (meaning peeps-are-watching) as the rest of the classes. Peeps are watching those too.

Didn't ride cause "Common sense" told me otherwise.

Noted that flaggers could use actual "rider" experience but you get-what-you-get cause "locals" are just that. Promoters have to cope.

Twas pretty a darn good MX racing Sunday 3.17.2010 at The-Horn is you ask me.

Didn't ride but track looked good considering.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeVol911
posted Hide Post
Ok ok......first off I'm really bummed to hear about Flynn. My prayers are with him and his family. Secondly, who is this Trevor kid who died? and what does his death have to do with Ted?? From what I've read there was only one ambulance ride and it was Flynn, so what gives? I unfortunately could not make it to the opener so I can't speak to the conditions or the flaggers. Lastly, Horn has never been safer or better. I've been racing and practicing there since I was 14. I remember how gnarly it was. The jumps now pale in comparison. Especially the old Pro Double!! I remember a specific Squisher race with very poor flagging. This one is for.....we'll call him "Selective Memory Randy" Where I believe some vet int. wrecked hard on the pro double. Again the most blind and biggest jump ever at horn! Then the next guy over the jump lands on the downed riders bike and wrecks hard. The following rider over the jump lands on one of the downed riders and wrecks himself. The guy after him lands and wrecks into the back of the newly downed rider. Half that class stacked it up right in front of me until someone stood in the middle of the take off waving the yellow flag!! All took a ride to the Hospital! Horn was always filled with gnarly braking and acceleration bumps, square edge holes, ruts on jump faces with these nasty divet kickers in them that actually almost paralyzed me at one point! It was rarely maintaned. Watered maybe once a day twice if your lucky. I raced there and trained there religiously b/c it was all I had living in Wenatchee. The absolute worst day at a PRO race or HRMC event now is like riding on a perfectly groomed track when compared to Horn back in the day! Don't take my word for ask Matt or KC Rambo, Jensen, the Rose family, or even Josh Hill. Josh, Justin, and family would be at Horn for a week or more at a time training when it was too cold or wet on the other side of the mountains. Ask them how many times they saw a dozer out there. All I ever saw was a fat a$$hole county employee drive through once a day then back to his single wide. I'm with TRA ambulances were a regular thing at PacWest and Squisher races. Selective Memory Randy either was never at these events or he needs to pull his head out b/c as stated before slamming other promoters and tracks isn't going to drive more business to you. What track is yours??? Just wanted to make a note to "NEVER" go. Keep up the hard work Ted! And thanks to everyone else excluding Selective Memory Randy for their "Mature" views and opinions on the matter. Oh.....and in Pat's defense he is a great guy and did a great job promoting races. He worked very hard and I always enjoyed and looked forward to his series out there. Horn has always been and probably always will be one of the most difficult and technical tracks in Washington. It is what it is. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. We don't need the negativity. We need to work together more than ever to keep what we have open and running as smoothly as possible.

Posts: 95 | Location: E.Wenatchee, Wa USA | Registered: Wed February 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Things I Believe In:

#1. Motocross is not golf.
#2. Golf is gay.
#3. Motocross tracks, the rougher the better.
#4. Flagers, the more the better.
#5. EWMX schools can teach you how to survive both rutted jumps and jumps with kickers.
#6. During the last moto of the day EVO Suspension makes the track feel like a newly paved freeway.
#7. Golfers are just as gay as the game itself.

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post