New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Stroke open class??
 Login/Join

Picture of Greg726
posted
With all the hype on the 2 strokes comming back why don't you guys have a 2 stroke open class? Its just one more class you can sign up for.

Posts: 135 | Location: Kennewick wa | Registered: Mon September 24 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
There is already too many classes. I'd rather see lowering the number of classes and adding minutes to the motos.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to that Paul. Unlimited classes need to go away. Or make it 250 and unlimited or something where, I guess, a dude with one bike can ride two classes but only two. Two classes for big bikes is enough and if older riders want more they can ride age groups. I can race six classes if I wanted to right now at a PRO race!...not that I race!

Less classes equals more laps and more bang for your buck to me. Just saying.

Posts: 157 | Location: kent, wa, usa | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
That's why i am enjoying doing the off road stuff. I show up, race my 1 1/2 hours, still get my butt kicked, pack up go home:-)

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
Lorettas is adding a two-stroke open class. Any skill any size, run what ya brung. Bring it to the PRO series, everyone already makes a weekend out of these races, whats 10 more minutes?

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
A gate full of 2 strokes sounds so cool!

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO KOOL AID Drinkers in that class

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
I agree there are too many classes. I'd rather see less classes and more laps. But I understand the promoter makes more money if people ride 4 classes for 4 laps instead of 2 classes with 8 lap motos.

Get rid of the Unlimited Classes. Or remember when PRO used to have it as just 1 long moto?

I say just make your Schoolboy class a 125 Open Class(up to 144cc 2 stroke...so we don't have to worry about protests and no need to exclude KTM 150's or anyone who's built a 144.). No skill level. Don't put age restrictions on it. If a 16 year old wants to race a 125 let him in....and if a 26 or 46 year old wants to sign up let him. I bet you could create a class bigger than several of the ones that exist now.

The rest of the country is doing it.

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now there's a class I'd show and Race! It's turning into one of the more popular classes at the glen helen REM races.

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 2 Stroke open class idea.

Posts: 452 | Location: Selah,WA. | Registered: Fri November 14 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did the 2 stroke thing in 2010. We had 5 guys in the class. The Unlimited class is a large class in all the levels. We are discussing a change in the Unlimited Pro class but haven't decided yet.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As people find out they can't afford 4strokes you will see more 2 STROKES

Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
2x Strokes were, pre power-valves, easy enough to maintain. A couple of holes in a cylinder wall and that-was-that. Post Power Valve however now that's a bit different. To many moving parts and to many things to go wrong in re-assembly.

4x strokes seem a whole lot easier to maintain (post 2x power-valve) and ride. A feeler gauge a degree wheel and a good Subway and I'm ready to go.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
Ken,

Your subway sandwich order is more complicated than a powervalve!

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
I would like to have a 20min transponder class and just race the track for fastest lap times I think that would be siiiiiiick!!!

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted:
We did the 2 stroke thing in 2010. We had 5 guys in the class. The Unlimited class is a large class in all the levels. We are discussing a change in the Unlimited Pro class but haven't decided yet.

That was then this is now. I know a lot of people are switching back to Two-strokes. Tired of blowing up 4 strokes, and finding good used 2-strokes.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Instead of making an open 2-stroke class....just change the 250F class to a 250cc class restriction. The rest of the amature world does this. Montana changed this 2 years ago and it has been really successful. The old "125" class was about extinct until we changed the rules...lots of "older" fellas enjoying the 250 Novice/Int/Pro-Am class on their 2-strokes...

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
I like what MXA did to that KTM 300 and turned it into a MX'er. Switch the tank back and go trail riding, desert racing or whatever.

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
Back on the original subject..

There are too many classes and there should be a 125 class.

What’s the difference between Unlimited and 450? Anyone can ride whatever they want in the 450 class already…a 450, 250F, 350, or 250 2 stroke…so they are essentially the same class.

What classes used to be the biggest? 125! I remember 3 and 4 divisions of qualifiers for 125 Junior at Pac Wests in the early 90s! Why? Because it was the bike people could get into the sport with at a reasonable price and learn how to ride, race, develop technique, and learn how to work on. The growth and boom of Motocross came with 2 strokes in the 70s/80s/90s. We will never see growth and will only continue to shrink with everyone racing 4 strokes...regardless of the economy.

The main entry level class we had (125) morphed into the 250 class..full of 250F‘s and some 250 2 strokes. And we have a resurgence of the Open Class with 450’s. But we have no 125 class. A class that used to get a shitload of entries. A class that was perfect for kids coming off mini’s and perfect for newcomers to the sport. A class that always offered exciting racing at all levels…a class that was was pretty inexpensive to compete in. A class that you went fast in because you learned to ride the bike right and have momentum….not stop in a corner…sit down…and then twist the throttle and jump everything like every C rider on a 250F can do now.

The rest of the world is figuring this out. 2 stroke racing is huge in the UK and Europe. There is a 125 class at the REM series in California. The Megacross series I did when I lived in Illinois now has a 125 Open class and is averaging 17 riders a weekend. Check out this link from Florida: http://twostrokemotocross.com/...da-motocross-series/

I completely understand that you don’t want to add more classes. My suggestion is this…you already have a Schoolboy class that is 125-150 only. Simply make it an 125 (up to 144cc) Open class. Don’t discriminate against the 17 year olds (or 27 year olds!). I think you would be surprised by the entries and they would grow as the year went on. You can create a class someone could get a used bike for under $2500 and go race in. It might not have a full gate...but going through your results you had 3 450 Beginners at Horn Rapids in March on Saturday and 5 on Sunday! That's very surprising..

I think it's very ignorant for anyone to not realize that a 125 2 stroke class is extremely important for the health of Motocross. Do I want to race my 125. Absolutely! Anybody else care to join me?

Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
I would love to join you Parker but I exceed the weight limit. Smile

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post