E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Racing  Hop To Forums  EW MX Schools    EW MX Schools tip of the day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EW MX Schools tip of the day
 Login/Join

Picture of E.W. #849
posted

Through multiple years of racing, I have seen many riders get injured. Although no one enjoys even the thought of this, it is difficult to participate in the sport of motocross and avoid at least a few minor injuries. Often, injuries can be avoided if a rider is conscious of his/her body positioning and surroundings. Although every situation requires different skill levels and techniques the one I will discuss below can boost every rider’s chances of avoiding a very common injury, broken wrists and arms.

When gripping the bars, grip on top of the bars instead of behind the bars (as you can see in the pictures above). Gripping the tops of the bars on a hard landing will allow the bike to absorb most of the force rather than transferring it into your arms/wrists. When gripping behind the bars your wrists become a possible pivot point since they are not on the same plane as the shock absorption (your suspension). This forces them to hold your body in its position on the bike and thereby absorb the force that your bike is working so hard to absorb for you!

Gripping on top of the bars will also keep your elbows up, which gives you more bike control. Having control of your bike will save you injuries as well as improve your speed and ability. When riding always take the time to work on good riding techniques. It will most likely save you a few dollars in co-pays at the ER and more than a few headaches!!! For more information on this and many other ability increasing and injury decreasing techniques contact Eric Waunch at ewmxschools.com or look for a school to come to your area.

Imageelbows1.jpg (126 Kb, 379 downloads) Elbows1

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Elbows2

Imageelbows2.jpg (140 Kb, 397 downloads) elbows2

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Dang Eric, I could have given you some actual race condition photos of elbows down. You didn't have to fake these Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Great thread! Tips of the day! I'll be checking back in regularly, God know's I need it.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I'm with Aaron on this Eric. I'd love to see you post real riding techniques here. I know the numbers (have for years, decades actually) but still struggle at making them work. Sad I know but that's how I roll. Put me on the "Pathetic" curve.

And hey dude no "Push ups" and no hard love. That stuff sucks. How about offering a bit more cooperation on technique. I wanna clear them triples but life has taught me NO WAY and so I suck up my fat-gut approaching a monster triple same as I do approaching a most magnificent ... sandwich or gal. I just sucks!

Dude, I know it's just a wanna ride thing for me as in beating them in every corner and over every jump and in smak talk afterwards. If that don't work then I'll spend $bucks cause what's more important the race or the talk afterwards. Dude it all about smak talk! Talk lasts a thousand years.

It's a dream I know and maybe it could happen. I could out talk my buds. Could happen.

How am I doing so far?

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks EW,I rode today and consintrated on keeping my elbows up,and had a much easer day.How about a tip on corners, downhill off camber left to very tight corner.

Posts: 43 | Location: Lake Stevens | Registered: Tue March 20 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post