New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Honda issues
 Login/Join

posted
Honda guys
We have had a on-going issue with our 250's 07-09 jumping time(cam chain skipping a tooth) Not fatal usually but makes less power and a little more noise! Been trying to fix ,new chain,guides,check both sprockets,cam adjuster,even considered manual cam tensioner.
Latest fix PC has a longer bottom guide(more radius length)for the crank sprocket. Testing with a couple other riders ,just a heads up if any other H. riders have same issue,slightly rare but riders that down shift mid-air more likely to be involved. JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
Does the OE tensioner have a ratchet mechanism?

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ivest4
posted Hide Post
If you've ever removed the tensioner for top ends etc.... Make sure it's re-installed right side up. They are designed to actuate from pressure and vibration in one direction only. If that doesn't work warranty it at the dealer. You should be able to flog the bike wherever and whenever without skipping anything by a whoop section !!!

Posts: 388 | Location: Arlington | Registered: Tue January 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I read in Thumpertalk awhile back about swapping out the auto tensioner to a manual one to prevent this from happening. Under the right conditions with more aggresive riders it can come loose. I cant remember the exact details but it made sense.

Posts: 28 | Location: Olalla,WA | Registered: Thu December 04 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rays D.
straight spring preasure.
Invest
Swapped lots and can't say I noticed top vs bottom for sure will look next time I look at them. Here is the thing,08 was at PC to figure out WHY? we are having problem W/this bike. They assemble it as well as the last time,NO not the 18 yr.old kid in some of the PC storys. After picking up bike ,runs real good 1st day second day on SX track skips time!
Chris
Some of the teams are/were running manual tension adjustment,there is a few drawback from these as well. Will be in LA Tues for testing until A-3,so will go with the "new" style bottom bracket guide for now. JR

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with a manual tensioner? My Suzuki has one and I think I prefer it to an auto, at least I know for sure it's tight, and if it screws up there is only one knuckle head to blame Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with my 06 CRF250. I replaced everything I thought possible. started out after a rebuild of valves, guides, retainers, springs. started jumping time every ride and only under a hard load.
Went through everything we though possible, cam chain, went to a mechanical cam chain tensioner, chain guides, a different cam.

After a lot of frustration and money We decided to rebuild it again and this time have the machinist reface the head. Somehow after that it stopped, we think a valve was binding up and putting a drag on the cam causing it to skip a tooth.

Turns out it was all for naught as it blew the rod out of the front of the cases a few weeks later.

This bike has broken my heart more times than chicks ever could. Long story short It's been three long years, 4 rebuilds one including the cases, A complete used motor off Ebay and a ton of money dumped into that lemon and it's still not running to this day.

Hey John If I can get another student loan, I have dibs on the next 08 you guys will be selling.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the giggles.Will let you all know "IF"the latest-greatest fix works.Testing starts Tues.(either way I spelled Tommrow didn't look right).Tryed to get a 09 250 Zuke but not out yet?? As soon as SX is done the 08 is avaliable,settin up the outdoor bikes now,hope you are running the wheels off your bikes !! JR

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motodrew295:
I had the same issue with my 06 CRF250. I replaced everything I thought possible. started out after a rebuild of valves, guides, retainers, springs. started jumping time every ride and only under a hard load.
Went through everything we though possible, cam chain, went to a mechanical cam chain tensioner, chain guides, a different cam.

After a lot of frustration and money We decided to rebuild it again and this time have the machinist reface the head. Somehow after that it stopped, we think a valve was binding up and putting a drag on the cam causing it to skip a tooth.

Turns out it was all for naught as it blew the rod out of the front of the cases a few weeks later.

This bike has broken my heart more times than chicks ever could. Long story short It's been three long years, 4 rebuilds one including the cases, A complete used motor off Ebay and a ton of money dumped into that lemon and it's still not running to this day.

Hey John If I can get another student loan, I have dibs on the next 08 you guys will be selling.

Drew did you fill out your FAFSA yet? Do it now for the best shot at student loans next year.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
quote:
Originally posted by motodrew295:

Drew did you fill out your FAFSA yet? Do it now for the best shot at student loans next year.

I forgot my PIN from last year so I'm waiting on that to fill out the FAFSA, hoping to do so within the week. The parent plus loan is really low interest and I there's another but I forget what it's called that has a pretty good rate as well.

as far as the manual Cam chain tensioner I tried this one and like I said it didn't help, so I sold it off. Tensioner

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing? I am SUPER STUPID or STUBORN take you pick.Bike didn' blow up,didn't skip time BUT was just lame on power. LONG talk with pc, Dyno bike befor Rask picked up and numbers were good,Mitch was the test rider who had it skip time this go-round.No SX track today at Els. so chose to ride only practice bike,Wed back to back 08vs09 with a couple other riders most likely at Beaumont,then tear down at PC to investigate "WHATS WRONG NOW" Might see a quick stop at Chap. for a 09 if this keeps going,those 60 mi. trips into corona are getting $$,good thing I had a great weekend at Salem. JR

Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MX Family:
Good thing? I am SUPER STUPID or STUBORN take you pick.Bike didn' blow up,didn't skip time BUT was just lame on power. LONG talk with pc, Dyno bike befor Rask picked up and numbers were good,Mitch was the test rider who had it skip time this go-round.No SX track today at Els. so chose to ride only practice bike,Wed back to back 08vs09 with a couple other riders most likely at Beaumont,then tear down at PC to investigate "WHATS WRONG NOW" Might see a quick stop at Chap. for a 09 if this keeps going,those 60 mi. trips into corona are getting $$,good thing I had a great weekend at Salem. JR

weird how there are better batches of bikes than others, I hear the team guys ride a group of stocker first to see what one is faster then that is their race bike since it's a better foundation to build off.

I remembered when rebuilding my head I did lower rod bearings too but we concluded it had to do with the head since if the bears were bad enough to cause it other problems would have happened before the chain jumped time.

So what bike is having the problems? the 08 your trying to sell me? HAHA

I saw in another post you said you have complete heads for $500.. whats the story on those? Stock, mod, cam- OEM or Aftermarket?