New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminiscing
 Login/Join

Picture of Bearmore
posted
Anyone remember the old MX track that was on NAS Whidbey? I doubt anyone will other than Ross (OH Track) and I. I remember Big Fred (seen him behind the scenes a few times many years ago at the Seattle SX's), Crazy Dave (Coupeville), Larry Ward believe it or not and his Dad more times use to all ride out there. My Dad and an Officer that had a kid that rode got the track going back in about '85.

Perfect situation when track work needed to be done; we had a track work party and the SeaBee's would come out for training with the BIG equipment and build what we wanted. Those were the days that is for sure.

I still wish I could thank those fine young Squids that got it shut down by the CO of the base thanks to riding and getting injured while drinking out there.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Crazy Dave?

Oh I remember him but never had the pleasure of attending Base MX Track. As a matter of fact I just attended a Native American Naming Ceremony (Hy Laddis) on Lummi Nation land and was thinking about Ole Crazy Dave as I was heading North from Gods own North Bend WA. One, two, three sign posts I was passing and pondering about Dave.

No memories of yer Base Track, many of Dave. Immortal.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
Dave's still around (Coupeville). He can be found loitering at the OH Burger King most any day of the week. When we would do our pre-ride track walk (ROCKS grew out there) good 'ol Dave would bear hug a boulder and get it off the track. Quite impressive.

Numerous times Big Fred would bear hug my handlebars and get them straight once again so I could continue riding. That guy was a blast to watch riding a CR125 at I would guess over 300lbs but he claimed he enjoyed that bike more than his 250.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up there racing.Have pics from 76 on my built xr-75 rode there alot navy brat even in the middle to late 80's Brad Bolmes

Posts: 31 | Location: snohomish | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
Actually that was the track out by the gun range/Rocky Point. The track that I am referring to was ON the base down the road from the "Sound of Freedom" sign which now has the two planes on static display. But it had to be accessed by going through the back gate and down a dirt road. It was just a practice track but it attracted riders from all over just like Ross's. Riding out there you could almost touch the planes in the air as you went over jumps being it was right in line w/the landing strips.

posted Hide Post
yes they held races there in 1975 76 Joe pittman was the club president for many years on the island and held races there as well as down by the gun club always a battle with them I have pics of me ridding on my rm 125 1979 I will try to post have no idea how. would I know you, my folks still live in O.H.

Posts: 31 | Location: snohomish | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
I've lived on the Island since '77. My Mom and Dad live there; well my Mom only since my Dad passed away a little over two years ago.

They never did hold races where I rode being as I mentioned my Dad and an Officer got the track built and going from the ground up. I remember being out there for the first dirt pushing.

I know Lil Joe and went trail riding with Big Joe once being he was good friends with a friend of mine's stepfather.

posted Hide Post
Say I wish Crater would reply his Dad and uncles Mike,Rod,and Randy rode and raced there on their Elsinores randy raced with me on an yz 80 When I lived in capart the seebees built us a track there between the two caparts in the field above the cresent harbor,seaplane base block house rode everyday all day.Joe also held scambles outside coupeville across from the old pheasant farm.I have old photos of that on my xr75 74-75. Brad Bolmes

posted Hide Post
Say I remember my buddies and I pushing our bikes through the back gate showing are ID card catching the road to the right just past the gate

Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
"The back gate" I am assuming you are referring to the one that is across the street from where Island Yamaha use to be? That si where I was referring to as well. That first road off to the right like you said after passing through the gate.

I remember riding on those security trails that you can see in the picture off the main track and getting into a high speed chase w/a base security personel. When I got back to the track he got an @SS reeming from my Dad being he was a lower rank and trying to tell my Dad where and how we could ride out there. My Dad set him straight though Smile

There was a sand pit out there where a lot of pre-freestyle kind of riding always took place. I never had the cajones back then to try any of the gaps/mounds that were turned into jumps. On the main track though I loved that G-out to uphill launch that crossed the main road.

posted Hide Post
Yes the road jump up and down was fun. as you say out and to the north were some sand pits that were fun in high school we would go there with my friends honda odessey Oh yes across from Eldons Island yamaha,honda kawasaki

posted Hide Post
Practice day at base track 1979

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-rad:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
Those were at the old location out by Rocky Point behind the Gun Club correct? I remember a couple years before I got a bike seeing a lot of people out there riding being my bus went right by the Gun Club.

Always wondered if any shotgun pellets peppered any bikes out there Smile

posted Hide Post
No that is the Old base track you have the big pic of. the 1st pic is the road jump.My truck back then had a base sticker just drove on and over whenever I would like.