E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    1980's - 80/125/250 Experts and Pros in the Northwest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1980's - 80/125/250 Experts and Pros in the Northwest
 Login/Join

Picture of NW#599
posted
I used to race against Lowell Thomspon, His Cousin Brian Thompson, Larry Ward, Rick Simmet, Paul Winn, Jeff Dailey, John Calhoun, and Jamie Munson in the 80 and 125 classes.

Those were great days of motocross in the mini (80) ranks in the Pacific Northwest.

We had our version of Southern Cal minicyle motos up here in the Northwest. At the big races we would have 20 kids on the line and those racers were amazing. There were a few other riders as well, but names ecscape me right now. Maybe somebody from the northwest will remember those glory days I sure do.

Let's talk about those 1980's. Larry Ward, Lowell Thompson, Rick Simmett and Jason McCormick all won Amatuer Nationals. Eric Eaton won at Washougal National, and I think Jason McCormick won a moto (not sure about overall) there as well.

Anybody have any great memories of these Mini experts, 125 pro-ams, 125/250 or even 500 pros from the great decade of the 1980's in Pacific Northwest motocross? Love to hear them!

Posts: 2 | Location: Tri-Cities | Registered: Wed April 30 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
My first race attended at horn Rapids, i think it was early to mid-90's and my uncle was good friends with Jamie Munson so we watched the Pro motos, and he battled with some guy on a suzuki it may have been chaun Mcalister, maybe Dan moore, they had a bright yellow helmet, and on the last lap he made an aggressive pass for the lead and the guy on the suzuki ended up on the ground. It was real exciting for me since I had never seen anything like that before. That was my earliest motocross memory and its pretty foggy but without experiencing that I doubt I would have gotten into it later.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Jettin' Jack McGill was the mini man in 81 or so. Got in MXA and everything. I'm not sure why he hung up the boots. Eric Eaton was my hero. His dad used to give me some support and I did some machine work work Erics bikes. I got a Mugen works pipe from his dad for my 82 CR250. I still have a pair of Erics High point boots.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NW#599
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motodrew295:
My first race attended at horn Rapids, i think it was early to mid-90's and my uncle was good friends with Jamie Munson so we watched the Pro motos, and he battled with some guy on a suzuki it may have been chaun Mcalister, maybe Dan moore, they had a bright yellow helmet, and on the last lap he made an aggressive pass for the lead and the guy on the suzuki ended up on the ground. It was real exciting for me since I had never seen anything like that before. That was my earliest motocross memory and its pretty foggy but without experiencing that I doubt I would have gotten into it later.

Funny you say that. My first race attended was in 1981 at a track called Forks or something Fork. Jamie Munson was on a Yamaha and smoked the 80 class. My brother was racing and I was watching but watching Munson race made me realize I wasn't going to watch anymore. I raced from then on.

Posts: 2 | Location: Tri-Cities | Registered: Wed April 30 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
I remember we had a race at Jolly Roger and I was working in sighn up and this Kid from Post Falls sighns up he's barly big enough to sit on the bike says he's there to race Larry Ward !! Ok what long drive though And Stacy was still faster. Well Lowell won a moto Larry won a moto.
Billy Joyce comes to mind for fast 125 racers.Gary
Racca Eddie Davis, Ralf and Micky Dunlop.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why were nicknames so much sicker in the 80's?

2006 CRF250R #396
2004 CRF250R #396

Mike Olshavsky

125 Begginer

Posts: 165 | Location: Wenatchee. 509! | Registered: Sat October 08 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
We had the jammer, the bomber, the hurricane, the little professor, hollywood. I never had a nickname, the only nickname that starts with a "P" I didn't want! Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Levi
posted Hide Post
also pat jacobsen ..he was the man!!
but we was little earlier
my dad grew up with him in highschool

Posts: 178 | Location: washington | Registered: Wed January 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post