E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    Top privateer going back to 2008 CRF's???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top privateer going back to 2008 CRF's???
 Login/Join

Picture of Vetmx808
posted
From Steve Cox - RacerX

It’s interesting to see that, despite Honda releasing an all-new CRF450R this year, a couple of top privateers are choosing to ride the 2008 model. Steve Boniface bought an ‘08 because he got a deal on an ‘08 practice bike and doesn’t want to practice on a different bike than he races on. He also just brought his own bike to the TLD team, which is weird, and won’t let the TLD mechanic crack the engine open because he doesn’t know him. Also, after Anaheim I, Antonio Balbi switched back to a 2008 model.

I thought this to be an interesting topic. I ride Kawi's and if top riders started switching back a year I would question it for sure...

Does anyone have any insight on this??? What are the differences in the 08 and 09 (besides EFI of course)

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds to me like it has more to do with the economy and saving money as opposed to problems with the bike

Posts: 82 | Location: mill creek | Registered: Sat November 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
I am going to be riding 2008 CRF 450's for the 2009 season. Less headaches with EFI and my 2008 race 450 already has 65 or so hp. so it's more then ready to take on any 2009's Wink

I rode a 2009 CRF 450 and wasn't impressed at all, so it just made sense.

Jason Potter

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Honda758,

Rockwell | FirePoliceMX | FLY Racing | AllSport Honda | Fluidyne Powersports | ODI Grips | NaPalm Racing | Bridgestone Tires | QTM/Brembo | Factory Connection | Utopia Optics | Sidi Boots | FMF | Works Connection | No Toil | Cycra Plastics | Asterisks | Monster Energy | Dark Synergy | CV4 | IMS Products | True Arrogance Clothing |

Posts: 214 | Location: Spokane, WA/Southern Cali. | Registered: Tue August 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
It sounded like Balbi had an 09 then is now going back to an 08? I don't see this as an economy thing. Maybe Crater will chim in on some differences.

I have friends that have asked me if they should get an 09 Honda or save some cash and get an 08. Of course I tell them to get a Kawi, but that's a different story!

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey potter; are you doing anymore SX ?,and if so what class??, i think you made a wise choice on staying with the 08 450..i to have ridden them and have mixed thoughts

Posts: 10 | Location: Moses Lake,Wa,USA | Registered: Sun March 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey look, it King Sheep Focker! How is Fantasy SX going Scorch?

Posts: 475 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Thu November 20 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good, you should log on and stir the pot.

Posts: 10 | Location: Moses Lake,Wa,USA | Registered: Sun March 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scorcher:
hey potter; are you doing anymore SX ?,and if so what class??, i think you made a wise choice on staying with the 08 450..i to have ridden them and have mixed thoughts

I broke my hand at Phoenix, gonna be out for 6-8 weeks. Might be back for Salt Lake and Seattle rounds.

Rockwell | FirePoliceMX | FLY Racing | AllSport Honda | Fluidyne Powersports | ODI Grips | NaPalm Racing | Bridgestone Tires | QTM/Brembo | Factory Connection | Utopia Optics | Sidi Boots | FMF | Works Connection | No Toil | Cycra Plastics | Asterisks | Monster Energy | Dark Synergy | CV4 | IMS Products | True Arrogance Clothing |

Posts: 214 | Location: Spokane, WA/Southern Cali. | Registered: Tue August 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
well some guys like balbi just didn't like the way it was working. I love the 09 and wouldn't go back unless there was some major problem with 09. Not to throw potter under the bus here but I think Heard that potters shop didn't want to help hm out too much with an 09 so he is opting to stay on the 09. Jason have you riddin an 09 yet? I think that the economy has alot to do with the number of 08s out there. For instance daniel Blair is on an 06.

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crater:
well some guys like balbi just didn't like the way it was working. I love the 09 and wouldn't go back unless there was some major problem with 09. Not to throw potter under the bus here but I think Heard that potters shop didn't want to help hm out too much with an 09 so he is opting to stay on the 09. Jason have you riddin an 09 yet? I think that the economy has alot to do with the number of 08s out there. For instance daniel Blair is on an 06.

Yeah I rode a 09 450 right after they were released and it just felt really slow, and I really didnt like the way the front end sagged so much. Also my shop is much more eager to work out a deal on an '08 compared to an '09.

Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
well to each his own Jason. I just really like the way the bike works. The motor is faster than it feels but you have to willing to short shift it and ride like a four stroke is really built to be ridden. We will have to just wait and see but I dont think your "65" hp will pull much on my 50 or 51 hp 09. 65 might be a little but of a high number. I have had 480 cheater bikes with u4 that only did 58. I wouldn't mind seein that dyno chart. Not saying you dont have it just sayin that its pretty impressive. For 1 just the shear number of horsepower and for 2 that you can hold onto that thing for a whole moto, I know that would be tough for me.

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a good reason to ride an 08. As of December 15th, no one has rear springs for the 09 Honda. NO ONE!

Jason as for the front end low feel. There are these little screw things on the forks and shock and it's legal to add oil to the forks. WinkIt's easy to get it balanced in stock form.
It also can be greatly improved with a little work inside.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good conversation going on here, think I'll chime in.

The 09 has weak spots for sure the most notable (imho) the forks no not the dampening the seals, they stick. It's obvious when you ride a KX with its DLC (Diamond Like Coating) and Ultra-Low-Stiction? seals that somethings up. Up enough to make me start enquiring into tube swapage, Red-to-Green.

The 08 has the HP right outta-the-box no question but can it be easily enhanced as in Plug-N-Play like an 09?, not as far as I know. You still got to do the whole cam swap and port grinding thing as far as I know.

The 08 was a fun bike but a bit scary too. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed serious head shake even with a damper.

Nope, it's 09 for me and so with many thanks and much appreciation extended to all you pro's, you know who you are, I'd like to thank you for all your time and effort. It's an 09 Red bike for me and going forward maybe an O-ten. It's ridable, tunable, racable. It tastes good.

09 is a new year going this way for Red, they had to switch. Want real performance try in 2010 (no need to thank me - grins) go Red. 09's good but once they get DLC it'll be untouchable. Ten is the year.

All that's left for me now is to figure out how to get KYBs KX DLC fork tubes into my 09 Red's sleeves. Add a couple Ultra-Low-Stiction seals and a Subway and I'm in heaven.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken, i have an idea for you to solve some of the concerns you have. just get a 09 kx450,then get red plastic and some bitchen grafix, then run down to Quiznos and re-wrap with subway wrapers....problem fixed, great power - DLC coating - great tasting!!

see you sunday

posted Hide Post
Ted and Rest
Simple fix for 09 Honda Sus. give the Socal guys your visa and they will give you SHOWA SUS,problem solved! JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Open Class
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scorcher:
Ken, i have an idea for you to solve some of the concerns you have. just get a 09 kx450,then get red plastic and some bitchen grafix, then run down to Quiznos and re-wrap with subway wrapers....problem fixed, great power - DLC coating - great tasting!!

see you sunday

Brings tears to my eyes, truly does.

---------------------------------------------------------------
"You, you, and you: panic. The rest of you come with me"

Posts: 722 | Location: An island in the middle of a lake | Registered: Sun January 07 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crater:
well to each his own Jason. I just really like the way the bike works. The motor is faster than it feels but you have to willing to short shift it and ride like a four stroke is really built to be ridden. We will have to just wait and see but I dont think your "65" hp will pull much on my 50 or 51 hp 09. 65 might be a little but of a high number. I have had 480 cheater bikes with u4 that only did 58. I wouldn't mind seein that dyno chart. Not saying you dont have it just sayin that its pretty impressive. For 1 just the shear number of horsepower and for 2 that you can hold onto that thing for a whole moto, I know that would be tough for me.

Your right Greg, that "65" was a little high on my part, I looked at the dyno sheet and it put out about 59-60hp.

posted Hide Post
Ride KAWASAKI! There is no one switching back to a 08 thats for sure. I think kawasaki has a hugh advantage when it comes to EFI, not that Honda is bad, its just that the kawi motor is really in its 2nd year. That motor came out in 2008 in the Quad. So they had plenty of time to get it right before selling it in 450f dirt bike. I just wish they would put the kawi on a diet.Smile

TODD CARLSON

Posts: 336 | Location: MT VERNON WA US | Registered: Mon November 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
The honda motor has been in production in montessa trials bike as a 230cc plant for a couple years now. This means to me that they have it close to a 250f already too. I think they will have a 250f next year and it will be hard to beat a fuel injected 250.

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
hahahahaha you silly boys, you want power? Check this out, yes Virginia that is a turbo charged 09 RMZ450

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post