E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    Villapoto out for the outdoor season..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Villapoto out for the outdoor season..
 Login/Join

Picture of spin05
posted

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone remember ever seeing this many of the top of the class out of action like we have this year. NOT GOOD!

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted:
Can anyone remember ever seeing this many of the top of the class out of action like we have this year. NOT GOOD!

Its a real bum deal Ted. Granted the racing has still been pretty exciting but not having some of the top riders there definitly takes away some of the excitement.

I have to say though that I was really happy for Andrew Short and Rokzen rode awesome on that 350 KTM.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sultan Wa | Registered: Wed November 12 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya. that was cool. Those 2 were so happy. They had a great race going there for a few laps. How cool was the move Short did on 70 when he was tripling, passes Short right before the corner, Short with a 6th sense or with eyes in the back of his head brakes hard, doesn't start the turn, let's Rokzen go by and then resumes by passing him back. SAAAAWEEEEET move. Everyone who made the program has so much talent for such crappy pay, it amaizes me.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if you have a passion for what you do it does not really matter what you get paid for it. While it will may not pay the bills and not always get you to the next race, if you still chose to do it you have passion for the sport. I give a ton of respect to the guys who spend money out of pocket to race as a pro knowing they will probably lose money in the end. Until the AMA decides that the privateers deserve more we will end up with gates like in the 250 class with 33 riders, the top riders will still ride but the $$ needs to be spread out a little more

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchracer:
I think if you have a passion for what you do it does not really matter what you get paid for it. While it will may not pay the bills and not always get you to the next race, if you still chose to do it you have passion for the sport. I give a ton of respect to the guys who spend money out of pocket to race as a pro knowing they will probably lose money in the end. Until the AMA decides that the privateers deserve more we will end up with gates like in the 250 class with 33 riders, the top riders will still ride but the $$ needs to be spread out a little more

That is so true!

Posts: 295 | Location: Sultan Wa | Registered: Wed November 12 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spreading out the purse money isn't the problem.
The problem is that ticket prices are over tripled in the last 15 years. AMA pro licences are over triple, entry fee is close to triple, and there are many more sponsors in the SX series and the professional purse is not even doubled in 15 years.

It's crap for the promoters to treat the riders like this but they don't give a shit, they have enought for their "SHOW" so they could care less what they pay the riders.

Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is that ticket prices are over tripled in the last 15 years. AMA pro licences are over triple, entry fee is close to triple, and there are many more sponsors in the SX series and the professional purse is not even doubled in 15 years.

It's crap for the promoters to treat the riders like this but they don't give a shit, they have enought for their "SHOW" so they could care less what they pay the riders.

THIS is the reason I DONT volunteer when they need track workers and flaggers for the supercross. There is a lot of money going through there, and Im not going to bust my ass for free just so I can get a pit pass... Ill pay the Sky high ticket prices if it mean I can enjoy the whole race from the seats...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Genova & Watson talked again about it on the last pulpmx show about revenue sharing like they do most major sports. I think the riders need to somehow form a riders group represented by law firm and serve notice to Feld you got until 2013 to spread the whealth or you will be having amature sx series. The AMA needs to stand behind the riders on this as well.

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I would bet Feld doesn't make as much as one would think. I'd bet they make 15 or 20 percent when all is said and done. Ted the ticket prices are about the same since I started going in the past 5 years. I paid $11 a seat this year.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to how the riders are paid, do they get a 1099 form at the end of the year or a W2 from Feld. Are they independent contractors and as such are able to deduct travel, equipment, lodging costs.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Paul, Forsure I would think 1099 and write everything off I bet most don't ever show a profit..I can't imagine them not being independent contractors. I'm sure Feld makes enough from ticket sales, TV commercials, Monster Energy money, merchandise sales and more to pay all the night show riders five times as much which still isn't sh!t. It's shocking to me nobody has figured out a way to group the riders together as one voice like say a retired highly respected pro with nothing to loose and everything to gain from respect from the riders and fans. There's no way you can tell me it can't be done its 100% up to the riders to take a stand.

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More fuel
At riders meeting heard that at L.V. for the East and West Mains there will be NO purse!!!
Riders are racing to get into the EvsW shootout which I guess will have a purse
I am part of this and I CAN"T belive how stupid it is when you see the stands full,5 fully detailed Monster Energy truck,All the vendors who I guess paid a lot of money to show there stuff off. Yet some of the racers people come to see would be better of as " Off Ramp Attendents on I-5"! This sucks all the way back to the Chuck Sun days,worse back then gas wasn't $4 and bikes were under $2000.JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:
Paul, Forsure I would think 1099 and write everything off I bet most don't ever show a profit..I can't imagine them not being independent contractors. I'm sure Feld makes enough from ticket sales, TV commercials, Monster Energy money, merchandise sales and more to pay all the night show riders five times as much which still isn't sh!t. It's shocking to me nobody has figured out a way to group the riders together as one voice like say a retired highly respected pro with nothing to loose and everything to gain from respect from the riders and fans. There's no way you can tell me it can't be done its 100% up to the riders to take a stand.

can you say U*N*I*O*N.....it's not so hard once you get started, union union Smile

Who writes the purse checks AMA or Feld? Feld is privately owned so we can't really look at their financials. JR is there a pay schedule out there?

The problem is no one will support any type of walk out or non ride. All of the top riders are owned by their respective sponsors and the sponsors will stop any movement. The privateers have no power as there are 3 guys waiting in line who will take their position.

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

so you must pay the pros great then right ted Wink

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of McGinnis_339
posted Hide Post
MX Family maybe you can shed some light on this but I believe there is some kind of rule that states the AMA has the right pull the pro license of those attempting to form a riders meeting? I heard Villopoto saying something about this a couple years ago...

Did the members of MXPPA get some good laps in this wknd? Haha

Posts: 99 | Location: Des Moines | Registered: Thu September 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:

can you say U*N*I*O*N.....it's not so hard once you get started, union union Smile

Who writes the purse checks AMA or Feld? Feld is privately owned so we can't really look at their financials. JR is there a pay schedule out there?

The problem is no one will support any type of walk out or non ride. All of the top riders are owned by their respective sponsors and the sponsors will stop any movement. The privateers have no power as there are 3 guys waiting in line who will take their position.

You cant be serious...

Thats rediculous... If your not making enough money at it, then dont do it for a living. Yeah MX is fun, and its fun to race in front of tens of thousands of people, but that doesnt mean your entitled to a damn thing... If you want something, bust your ass, take risks, and be the best, thats what those who are at the top do, they get good at it, and they make millions. Those at the back of the pack have no one to blame about not making money but themselves... Its just like anything, you have to get good at something to be paid for it, and it takes years of sacrifice to get to that point... Do you guys honestly think that riders like Stewart, Villopoto, or Dungey had a life at any point?? Those guys have been riding damn near everyday since they were little kids, and now they are so damn good, that they make millions... Its a reward for their suffering...

A professional MX union would ruin motocross as we see it today, I was just thinking the other day how cut and dry it is to become somebody in the MX world, as opposed to something like MLB, NFL, or the NBA... How do you do it?? You bust your ass and become the best rider you can be, Not any of this wimp ass pansy union crap.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
I think it can be done but the riders have to do it. I think it was tried 10-15 years ago but times have changed the sport has advanced a lot. Forsure your going to piss some people off and there will be riders crossing the line to race anyway like how pussy emig did when the lights went off at Vegas and mcgrath stood by the riders and refused to ride. All it takes is one big pro like the perfect one would be Reed since he is about done and clearly don't give a fk what people think. I think Windham owes the sport it as well he should and could make it happen. Jimmy Button could broker the deal. It would improve the sport by 100% as a whole and let these athletes make a living. Yes Paul it would be called a riders UNION!

posted Hide Post
WHY is this a good thing... There is nothing good about it at all... If riders did this, there would be a backlash...

MX is about fun, NOT about money and thats how the general public views it... Last thing we need to do is make it ALL about money...

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Anderson:
WHY is this a good thing... There is nothing good about it at all... If riders did this, there would be a backlash...

MX is about fun, NOT about money and thats how the general public views it... Last thing we need to do is make it ALL about money...

This should be like pissin in the wind responding to jason..backlash? Who gives a ....! Forsure there would be a lot of it that's what it would take. Believe it or not Jason these guys do it as there Job! Just like we do we work and get paid! There not out there like you and me ridin all for fun. Why would it ruin anything for anybody if pro riders made a good living?