New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green WHAT?
 Login/Join

Picture of motodad642
posted
I cant stand this BS about the new GREEN cars. Green my a$$! OK you buy a Preius... you drive it for say 5 years... now your batteries go bad, so you drive it now on mostly gas cuz it cost 3 to 5 grand to replace the batteries. Now look under at your battery compartment....battery acid corroding and driping this acid on the ground. So you replace the battery compartment now the batteries that are bad are to be recycled... Batteries are made of ...OH NO! Lead and highly caustic and corrosive ACID! Oh but they neutralize the acid... ok if it is neutralized then drink the stuff...NOT it will kill you! So where is it better? Now you have mounds of dead batteries stacked somewhere leaking into the soil, contaminating ground water and whatever it touches. So where is it GREEN? Oh no carbondioxcide...well lets see...every plant on the earth, EVERY PLANT.. needs carbondioxcide to survive. Ok now you crash one of these piles of crap...acid leaks out or the lead plates get strewn out into a stream and see how our little fishes do? Or the same gets strewn into the ground along the road...you think plants would live in that acid? This is a JOKE to think these cars are GREENER! They are a rolling caustic time bomb with major health issues to follow. This is just another smoke and mirror BS idea......sorry just no self control Mad

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I may be mistaken but I think they are gel cells or dry cells. And green refers to the lack of greenhouse gasses.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
If our government takes over the auto industry you won't have to worry, they won't let you own a vehicle they will just issue (lease) you a standardized power plant and you get to put your accesories on top of a sealed tamper proof drivetrain. Still pretty far away in the future but it's realy the only way to go to keep clean and green.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
The only way to be "GREEN" in my book - Hydrogen Motors:

http://www.efficienthydrogenmotors.com/

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
I may be mistaken but I think they are gel cells or dry cells. And green refers to the lack of greenhouse gasses.

Gel packs and dry cells are just as caustic.

Vetmx808 Thats what Im taking about! But you know the government is not going to let you just put a water hose in your tank for fuel. We are just short steps from that happening.

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I love Green.

Wink

As for the cars, I had a 1992 Honda Civic (gutless as hell) that got 45 mpg. Now a prius gets 30?!?!?!

The green stands for lots more green, lots less emissions, lots less mileage.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
hmmm... I wonder how much energy it takes to seperate hydrogen...

and we sure as heck can not build a plant to do that here in the US... I guess we can just import our energy? but wait, don't we already do that?Confused

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
All hydrogen effictively is in a system like is a battery, and to run hydrogen in an internal combustion engine is very inefficient, and would only be a step towards increasing infrastructure for things like fuel cells and whatnot.

What we need to do is concentrate investment into geothermal and modernizing the power grid. Then hydrogen-electric vehicles are entirely a possibility.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Anderson:
What we need to do is concentrate investment into geothermal and modernizing the power grid.

Can't drill...

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MX516:
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Anderson:
What we need to do is concentrate investment into geothermal and modernizing the power grid.

Can't drill...

LOL, yea we might hit some of that pesky oil stuff Eek

Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
You are correct CO2 (carbon dioxide) is emmitted and rather harmless in its concentration. However from the burning of fuels we get a MUCH HIGHER concentration release of carbon monoxide (CO), partly unburnt fuel, hydrocarbons, particulate matter, and nitrogen oxides (NOx). These are ALL not good in any concentrations for the environment.

But I do agree 100% with the over all attitude and concensus of your post.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
What bothers me is all the nasty stuff that is dripping onto the ground completely unchecked.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
You know I am all for making our lil blue marble a better place, but to see over the years how technology has advanced in almost everything that you can imagine but yet energy is such a political nightmare that any and all advancments toward cheaper and more efficient ways to create energy are buried until they find a way to make as much money as possible off of it. That part is just plain crap!

Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
would this be clean enough? how hot is 1500 centigrade exactly?

can you burn salt water?

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
Yea Greg, I dont know how hot that is but with the sonic energy that he is useing is really just seperating the hydrogen and the salt and together they burn very well. There are a plethora of efficent energy sorces out there as well as very low emission oil based fuels that never seem to make it out into the public. Yet here they are pushing out dated inefficient energy. Batteries? come on! Hydro Eletric, gasoline, Wind, Solar, and batteries are the way of the dinosours. Natural gas is more efficient than any one of those named above, clean and abundant and making the stuff would even help get rid of dumping garbage in the ocean. Hell Tacoma has a natrual gas power plant that runs on garbage and works great! Maaan I got to get a grip....loosing self control.... Eek

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
That would be 2732 degrees F...That's hot. The problem with that and all other non fossil fuel energy sources is that it takes more energy to release the energy than what you get. At some point we will find a way to turn any mass into pure energy. Even then it's only good to make steam. i.e nuclear.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Gravity's it end of story!

Hydro-Electric is the answer but only cause gravity sucks enough to push those little H2O's past a rotating mass coming downhill as in Dams.

Natural gas I got plenty of it but I sure as heck aint gonna rely on it to propel my auto with it. Might get out of the house but into town I think not.

Gravity sucks and mass pulls and water reacts to'em both. I'm rooting for the "tides" (forget Waves) and Moon - just don't know how the leverage the rise-and-falling of oceans ... yet.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
It think Japan or India or??? uses the tides to generate power. They have a battle with corrosion but it seems to work well. Hydro power needs some major updates.... I mean 8 to 1-water to power output dosent seem all that efficient. You know the only updates the dams ever get is more efficient fish ladders. We also need other options because the demand for power in the states with little or no useful rivers has stressed the system.

posted Hide Post
You all know that our government is studying cow farts. Global warming don't chya know.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
the only way to stop end of the world global warming would be to turn off the sun
End of all those problems.
I agree with Ken hydro electric on a massive scale. The sun does the heavy lifting all we have to do is catch it when it falls.
As for batteries or Solar power storage device.
I remember reading in a Popular Caver mag that if you could harness the energy stored in cellulose you could power the modern world and use it for other stuff to houses tooth picks,BQs and such its endless .
Maybe Alcohol is the answer*)

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post