New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whos Pat Jacobsen?
 Login/Join

Picture of Levi
posted
anybody remember him..i sure dont im WAYY to young. but my dad Mark Kvamme grew up with him and went to highschool with him along with billy joyce and other top riders from the NW.
my dad said he would of been THE man! wish he could have!

Posts: 178 | Location: washington | Registered: Wed January 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Pat Jacobsen was an awesome, awesome and nonetheless impressive natural rider of our time. (era 70-80). Natural. If you've ever watched Lance Smail at the old Pacific Raceways ( formerly known as SIR ) Pat would definately be the level of speed you would witness. Unfortunately for Pat who wins he got ran over in Dallas. DUDE WAS FAST. Factory Fast.

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jb329
posted Hide Post
So what happened to him did he die or get paralyzed or something?

Posts: 303 | Location: Ellensburg | Registered: Wed October 10 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
He was paralyzed but still was and I 'll believe still is in love enough with our sport to continue to come to the tracks and be a part of it. He was fast enough to leave Seattle for a Factory Ride. Now we all Know that's FAST

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Just ask Ted, or Vern...

Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Who was (is) Pat Jacobsen. About the most talented and capable MX rider I've ever seen, bar none. Villopotto rides a lot like him in attitude and Stewart seems to have his speed but Pat road three classes - Open, 250 and 125cc and did it when we'd just switched from 40min to 30min motos.

It was around 1976 that Pat immortalized himself to me with his tremendous speed and stamina. I'd watched Daryl Schultz pick up a National #1 and Pat seemed to have all that. I understood he was picked up by Factory Suzuki, when being FACTORY meant everything, to beat Bob Hanna when he was at the top of his game. Pat never really got the chance as he went down in a first turn mishap (as I recall a qualifier), putting him in wheelchair. Every now and again I'd hear of a dude popping wheelies on a three wheeler and shoot'n hoops. I ask ... yup Pat.

About two years ago I was in the Washougal Pits talk'n to Burt Lymburner (Jerry's dad) and as turns out he's got a lot of the same stories I have. I heard tell that Suzuki Cali still had Pats pic hanging on the wall in headquarters somewhere down there, musta made an impression.

Pat rode Suzuki’s out of Bellevue Suzuki which was home to Racing Research. RR colors were red and black with "RR" logos on the chest. If you wore RR it really meant sump'n of course you had to be picked up by'em to wear the colors.

The dude set an awful high bar when it comes to MX’n. Villopottos catching up for sure but I'm still reserving judgment. I will say however that ole RV scored plenty of KW points with his standing-up-thru-the-corner-at-speed at Washougal’s National last year and his drive to pass - reminded me of a DeCoster dude and a Puyallup race way back when. TransAm.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
well said, I forgot about the three wins per event. I don't know how to elaborate now, deep in thought, he's incredible except for those of us who can give him credibility.

Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Young men... that's 125, 250, and open. TWICE every race...winner

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
As usual, very well said Ken. I helped with the finish flagging at the benefit race for Pat at Spannaway Speedway and it was quite the affair. Pat was one of my heros when I started racing. My daughter is friends with his niece, while I am not one who is big on autographs, I would love to find an old photo of Pat and get him to sign it.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
Dug out my December 1979 Motocross Action.

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Levi
posted Hide Post
that pic is awesome!!
yea my dad said he remebers the day Pat got his factory suzuki shipped to him in a crate
befor he went factory my dad said you would walk down pats hallway in his house and see two rubber skid mark on both sides of the hallway all the way down to his bedroom and you would walk in and it would be his 125,250, and 500?? all lined up all shiny!
me and my dad see him prolly like once a year
Great man..would of been one of the best!!!

Posts: 178 | Location: washington | Registered: Wed January 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Parker...dude if my numbers are correct you had to be about six? years old in 1979. So what are you doing with a 1979 mag. Huh? one, two, three...six years old and freak'n about MX.

Dude you da man!

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
Actually Ken, I was born in '79!

I just fashion myself a MX historian and I collect old crap. Magazine probably came from my dad or uncle.

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Parker has the first issue of MXA!!!

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just so happen to be related to Pat Jacobson and talk to him all the time.

He's my Step-Uncle?? My Mom married his brother Preston.

He's a cool guy loves to golf, bowl, and a little bit of everything. Very, very active dude. Still in terrific shape.

Lives on his own in Maple Valley.

As for Billy Joyce he happens to live down the street from me as well haha, and I just talked to him the other day. (had to go collect a pair of ski's I let him borrow last season.) Well yeah anyway all the old timers from the Milton/Fife area come out to ride every Sunday at a local track that's been around for decades. (Best all sand track I've ever rode. Vern's been there with me before?) Billy and all his high school buddies Allan Stafford, Randy McCallister, and a bunch of others that I can't name. (My Dad could. He's not home though sorry.) They all got hopped up BBR 150F's and they race those around and have little 4 lap motos, and trust me Billy hasn't lost it, he can still rail.

Heres some info some of you might not have known.

Billy and Pat grew up living fairly close to each other and back then there use to be two popular places to ride within 2 minutes of each, and within riding distance from each of their houses. They were called the Milton Canyon and 10 Acres. That's where Pat, Billy, and the rest of Milton/Fife grew up riding. Well the legend has it that Billy and Pat use to ride together all the time, and Billy taught Pat everything he knew and trained him. Then Pat began to get faster, (He use to jog 5 miles EVERYDAY after school, and that is a fact) and after a while Pat got even faster than Billy (Rumor has it Billy was quite the party man.) The rest is history... I think Billy could have gone factory as well (I'm not sure but I do think I remember someone telling me Billy rode for FMF Honda though?) if he was as focused on the goal as much as Pat was, but Pat just wanted it more than anyone else. Dude worked his ass off.

Got any questions about Pat, Billy, or anything I could most likely get you an answer... So just let me know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Osaka627,

Brett Osaka #627

Posts: 105 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue June 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Well Brett, next time you see him, let him know that he was and is looked up to as a role model and inspiration by a lot of guys. Better yet, ask him to join this forum!

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Billy rode for team LOP and I believe finish #13 in 125 nats in 78 or 79. Got a podiam at the super bowl of motocross in the support class. he liked trophy girls too.
Never worn gloves.
Let him ride my POS 78 rm250 in 78 he got 2nd behind Pat at the dealers Challenge.
Also a generation before them was DAN BROWN who could win open A on his 125 Pursang.
Pat was the hole pakage

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat turned factory when I was 15-16 years old and he was incredible. I remeber seeing him at a track called Jolly Rogers. Off to one side of the track there was a giant up hill with two or three step ups. Nobody could make it to the top except Pat. He would fly up, make it to the top turn around, come racing back down while jumping off the step-ups. I also remember a great race between him and another fast local guy Phil Larson at Spanaway right before Pat got his factory ride from Suzuki.

Posts: 9 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Mon March 10 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vern#119:
he liked trophy girls too.

Now that you mention that Vern... I can remember an extremely funny story Billy told me one time on the way home from Snowboarding about a trophy girl. I think he has a few too many hahaha...

I don't think it's appropriate for these forums though? I'll have to tell you in person.

Brett Osaka #627

Posts: 105 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue June 22 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
PIR on the 21st. see ya there

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post