New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more Suzuki Contingency...
 Login/Join

Picture of Vetmx808
posted

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Luckily we are only in a slowdown, not a recession....

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told that it was only the amateur support program that they pulled the plug on not contingency.

Posts: 440 | Location: Royal city | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike Flynn
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same thing as Steve. Contingency will still exist for amateurs at the regional level...maybe for Amateur Nationals too.

---------------------------------
http://www.definethemoment.net - Your source for Northwest race coverage!

Posts: 131 | Location: Renton, WA | Registered: Tue January 31 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Nothing updated here:

http://teamsuzuki.com/MotoCross/Contingency/

With the Contingency year Nov 1 - Oct 31 and this already December with no updates, I would guess they aren't going to have it...

Picture of Mike Flynn
posted Hide Post
From AmateurMX (a credible source in my opinion):

Yes, Suzuki has dropped their amateur program. In the current economic climate they just couldn't justify the expense of continuing with their current business model. Basically, no more free or discounted bike deals and no more factory trackside support in the fashion they were providing it. And no more factory amateur team.

However, for all those people who do buy Suzuki motocross bikes and race them, there will be a contingency program for '09. They don't want to leave their customers totally high and dry. The contingency program will be more regional and it could include the amateur nationals. Nothing has been finalized yet. And they might put together a trackside support program that utilizes their dealers--much the same way Yamaha already does it.

---------------------------------
http://www.definethemoment.net - Your source for Northwest race coverage!

Posts: 131 | Location: Renton, WA | Registered: Tue January 31 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old news. Cole Gress said '08 would be the last year for ametuer support last summer.

Posts: 67 | Location: bonney lake | Registered: Wed December 31 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Contingency $$
Don't understand all the talk about this when SO VERY FEW actually go to money races!! I chase Contingency Races a lot more than most and I always am shocked at how few racers take atvantage of these programs! Down in Oregon we get afew of the CMC golden State series races. Last year I (60 something) rode both races and the payout was more than our local pro rider Adam Metzler made at either supercross or outdoor national he Qualified at.When you see these contingency races so poorly attended makes you think who cares if they are there or not. If you chase them you can make around $10,000 I think thats more than most local racers make? JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MX Family:
Regarding Contingency $$
Don't understand all the talk about this when SO VERY FEW actually go to money races!! I chase Contingency Races a lot more than most and I always am shocked at how few racers take atvantage of these programs! Down in Oregon we get afew of the CMC golden State series races. Last year I (60 something) rode both races and the payout was more than our local pro rider Adam Metzler made at either supercross or outdoor national he Qualified at.When you see these contingency races so poorly attended makes you think who cares if they are there or not. If you chase them you can make around $10,000 I think thats more than most local racers make? JR

Chasing them is the big factor. how much do you have to spend to get to those races, vs just staying local and racing/riding. The P.R.O. races have contingency and that series is packed.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to do the math befor I head out to a race for $$. I get a bike brand that pays me the most money.It is a way for travel to distant races at a reduced cost.
Here is a example from last year,I wanted to spend some time in tha LA area. CMC GSN series had final down at Glenn Helen-two days of racing.Cost down for me was around $700 cost while there another $300 stayed at tracks free in 5th wheel.
I rode 4 classes each day made from $150-$500 per class,Husky also pays out for the overall of a series. Total payout from Husky was in the $3000+ for the weekend. Same thing happened with the Pac- West series,I chased the series and it was local,yet at some of the races (rained a lot)most guys were wanting refunds and I was signing up for more classes. Here is my point we have races like the pac-west or Pacific NW races with contingency payout and the turnout has dropped to where they are no more than a regular weekend race if that! Back a lomg time ago I would travel south to a GSN race and the turnout would be 1400-1600 on a race day with vendor row full with Pro-Circuit,FMF,Race-tec,along with 10-15 other vendors,today most of the races don't even have a parts in the pits vendor. JR

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
So are you telling me Husky pays more than one class or do you have 4 bikes? For the japanese bikes, Kawasaki is the only company that pays more than one class. So chasing contingency isn't really worthit as the most you can make if you are amateur is $150 for a win.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the race I rode 2 Husky and 2 Hondas. We went Suz back when they would double up on $$ and allowed a rider to ride extra classes per bike.Now you are correct in Kaw being the only brand to encourage riders to race via their program.We are very pro Honda BUT they are the most difficult to deal with on contingency payout. We are looking into some green bikes as of now Husky(BMW) hasn't released a con.program for next year (09).I don't know what class you ride so this may or maynot make sense'" THE LOWER THE CLASS THE HARDER IT IS TO MAKE MONEY".Raced a lot during the early 90's in S. Cal and learned a lot about contingency racing some from some of the best Zart's,Miller,R. Ryan,Olsen,all these guys were lod at the time but made a good chunk of change riding these type of races,I had great teachers!
Long story,point I am trying to make was that when we have local Wash-OR. contingency races I don't see many racers competing. Could be the drop in amount of payout vs cost of racing today? Moore-Sylvestre-Rick Ryan-Ryan Huffman McCormick all made some good $$ doing this type racing,now no one seems interested? JR