New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we ride?
 Login/Join

Picture of Osaka #627
posted
I was thinking today, why do all of us ride?

Is it because we love it? Because our parents make us? or is it something else?

Just something I was thinking about today.

I ride because I LOVE it! Nothing beats going out and hitting that perfect loamy berm and blowing the top right off and just feeling it explode. Or going out and pounding a set of 5th gear pinned sand whoops. Or just hitting a big table top and laying that bike sideways.

I wasn't always this way, I use to hate riding, but now I look forward to it. I use to ride my XR-50 all day everyday till, it ran out of gas. I use to tell myself I'll get off in 5 minutes. 5 would turn into twenty and twenty would turn into an hour. I just kept going round and round. But when the weekend came up I wasn't excited at all, I despised racing it just wasn't fun. It wasn't always that way. When I rode 50's racing was so much fun, and it was a blast everytime I went. Then when I started to get into my early teens it just wasn't the same. Maybe because at that point in my life I wanted other things. Who knows. Just stuff I was pondering.

The Asian Sensation - Stirring Sh** Since '89.

Posts: 693 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue November 30 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ride because its who we are. You know the cold winter weekends when you cant ride but are moody because you want to. Its our addiction, even if we can't do it we want to. And even if we don't want to we really do. How many times have you said I am just going to go out and put this moto and not try. Well you get a great start and have the race of the summer. Also you can look over at your friend and say I wooped your A** today and they will smile and nod there head because they are planning for next weekend. There is nothing better than riding.

when you hit the wall you have to choose to go over or around, why do you keep running into it?

Posts: 210 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auzzi152
posted Hide Post
Dude I can't tell you why I ride. I know its an unhealthy addiction though. Most of the time I wish there was no such thing as motorcycles. It has consumed so much of my life. I have wasted so much time and money on motocross! As I type this I am wasting time, I could be making sales calls. If I could go back and do it again I would mow more lawns when I was a kid so I could get a bike at a younger age...

Posts: 435 | Location: your moms house | Registered: Wed December 03 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I don't ride, I just come on here to talk shit about politics.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
i bet brenden has rode more than you this year so there is some truth to that

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
Shorty WHY

WHY? (Renner says it best at the end...)

Hepler WHY

Pretty much sums it up. Big Grin

(Sometimes its funny how things just pop up on the internet that just seem to fit...)

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Brett I ride because I just love to.

I ride because my pop got my brother and me into it with a 1966 Desmo (Ducati) and he rode because he came back from WWII a soul seeking an answer (my words) as to WHY. Pop had no stories to share save one or two (good & bad). I liked the one about Sydney (Australia) harbor and booze. Pop served the USA on a Tender (maintenance ship) repairing things that break. Everything breaks.

The bad guys (whatever) had chased pops tender into a safe harbor (Sydney) where they eventually ported. As time rolled on, and USA Sailors being what they were, my pop and others made moon-shine. They did this by robbing the condenser coils from the only available fridge on the ship and tucked them under a floor-lathe for work - Really.

The resultant moonshine was good but they had to get rid of the left overs - the fridge. Over the side it went. It was supposed to sink when it hit the water but "nope" it floated. Right along side the tender it floated and out into the harbor it floated. It floated and floated and floated until some dude on a neighboring destroyer spotted da "enemy" in da harbor and let loose on it. (BIG BIG BIG LAUGHING on my part still today) until that enemy was sunk and dead.

Pops story as I relate it here was the good it's the the ones he wouldn't tell that to this day have me wondering.

Pop was a machinist on a tender in WWII. He taught me right from wrong, tolerance, patience, love, understanding and appreciation for others.

I ride because I am my fathers son.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think there is much better than challenging yourself to become better at something you really enjoy. At times I envy the beginners as they have soooo much more to learn and conqure. I dont think I ever had as much fun as i did when I was a beginner,clearing my first double or a large table top. How about your first win!!! Wow! That was awesome. i still have my first win trophy from the 80 beginner class at a hannegan thursday night race. How bout your first race and being so nervous and not knowing what to do!!! AWESOME!!!!!! Now that im older and a little bit better its the going to the races or out to practice and hitting a berm or a nince rut perfectly that keeps you wanting more!! Or the other weekend me and about 7 other guys went out and hit 3 different tracks in three days. The number one paper plate I made for the best practicer of the day. Classic!! Ivester still has it and it was a great time hanging out with the guys, having a few drinks and b.s.'in about the days riding and just about anything else moto related. Its not just the riding, but all the great people you meet at the track. I think that is part of it too as you get older. Im not that old(29) but I sure can have a good time on a dirt bike and apprciate some some of these younger kids and how fast they go!! Young or old we all love motocross for the riding, the people and the comradere that comes with it all. My 2 cents.

Posts: 108 | Location: Everett,Wa | Registered: Wed March 16 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, you guys made me cry. I only ride because I can't live with myself if I don't. Now I know there are more messed up people like myself.....THANKS!

Posts: 25 | Location: Lynnwood | Registered: Fri January 26 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post