E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Racing  Hop To Forums  Local boys on the road    Ritzman takes 1st overall national win
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ritzman takes 1st overall national win
 Login/Join

Picture of Vern#119
posted
Ritzman Takes Hare Scrambles Opener

Mar 9 2009 11:48AM
Comment ShareThis Email Print

By Joe Colombero

Brenden
credit: Joe Colombero
Brenden Ritzman

KTM mounted Brenden Ritzman took on all challengers, including a late race charge from Kyle Summers to win the opening round of the AMA Western Hare Scrambles Series at Rynoland in Anza, California.

Defending WHS Champion Brian Garahan got the holeshot and took the lead for a short time. But he was quickly displaced at the front of the field by Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ricky Dietrich. Dietrich established himself as the front runner and quickly gapped the pack that included Garahan, Ritzman, KTM’s Justin Soule, JCR Honda’s Tim Weigand, Nick Brozovich, and Kendall Norman, Robby Bell, Ryan Orr, and Valli Motorsports’ Kyle Summers.

Dietrich, as usual when he gets out front, looked unstoppable and pulled a lead of more then a minute before the first hour was up. Bell charged through to second and Ritzman was putting in a great ride and moved into third just in front of Weigand. The order would remain the same going into the second hour. Then the pit stops began; Dietrich continued to lead, Ritzman moved into second and Bell dropped back.

At the two hour mark Dietrich’s motor started making ominous noises and he visibly slowed down. Ritzman quickly closed the gap and began to pressure the popping Kawasaki. Then, two hours and ten minutes into the race, Ritzman motored by Dietrich and took the lead. Meanwhile Summers put on a charge that moved him into third ahead of Weigand. Then, at two hours and thirty minutes into the race, Dietrich pulled off the course and rode/pushed his sputtering 450 to his truck, deeply disappointed at seeing another National win evade him due to a mechanical problem.

Now the battle was on between Ritzman and the charging Summers. Ritzman held a two second gap over Summers for most of the last 30 minutes of the race. Though Summers tried to close and pass, it was Riztman’s day and he would not be denied.
Ritzman took the win with Summers close in second and Weigand rounding out the podium in third.

3/8/09: AMA Western Hare Scrambles Round 1

1. Brenden Ritzman – KTM
2. Kyle Summers – Honda
3. Tim Weigand – Honda
4. Nick Brozovich – Honda
5. Kevin Urquhart - HSQ
6. Justin Soule – KTM
7. Brain Garahan – Yamaha
8. Robby Bell – Kawasaki
9. Ryan Orr – Honda
10. Kendall Norman - Honda

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
Sounds like dietrich had it in the bag until his fuel pump went bad.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats the thing about off road racing is its never in the bag til its over. Tricky ricky didn't prep his filter good enough and dirt got in the pump. Brenden said Rick was gone but you can never say quit in 2 1/2 hours...Dietrichs bike did though

I'm pumped for both those NW boys. Dietrich is the 2008 Dirt Bike off road rider of the year and Ritzman is lucky to even be alive after that terrible accident at the end of '06.

Keep it up dudes. Braaaapppp!!!!

Posts: 157 | Location: kent, wa, usa | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
I thought the fuel pump was in the gas tank on the KX EF bike so the air filter wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant the EFI unit but the tank on off road bikes get dirt in them all the time also due to the dry brake quick fill system. I have to clean my tank once a month and run an extra in line filter too. Ratzman said the fuel pump went out now so we may never know. He also said Detrich stopped and changed a filter too? I know that is one potential problem with EFI...DIRT. Also with the fuel pump so keep em clean.

Posts: 157 | Location: kent, wa, usa | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
Ah got ya. didn't know the EFI units were so suseptible to dirt but makes sense. I had heard Dietrich changed a filter too so theres a good chance too much dirt somewhere effected it.