Login/Join

Picture of E.W. #849
posted
Pacific Racing Organization’s
2006 TOP GUN TEAM SHOOTOUT
Labor Day Weekend 2006
Washougal MX Park
Written by: Brian Kimball

Have you guys ever heard about heaven on earth? Do you know where it is? Well, this past Labor Day weekend if you happened to attend the 2006 Top Gun Team shootout at Washougal's famous MX track...you found it! Man what a venue. Arriving early Friday before the weekend motos began it looked like an amateur national. There were big rigs, toy haulers, fun movers, box vans, massive ez-ups and killer dirt-scoots. The Top Gun team shootout occurs annually and it's a chance for the dealers in the state of Washington, and the surrounding bordered states to showcase their motocross team's talents. It takes real planning, real time, real money, and real riders! It's also becoming a chance for future talent to be noticed, and current talent to be showcased. Last year Josh Hill rode for the Eastside Motosport's team, he's factory now! This year would also bring up some surprises as more and more locals and fast amateurs are jumping at the chance to make some good pro purse cash and ride on one of the coolest tracks in the nation. It just goes to show you that this event is serious business, and could be a turning point in a young rider's career. EXPOSURE!

Now, let me tell you that Ted DeVol and the Pacific Racing Organization crew really put together one heck of a track. Ted had those guys working in 90+ heats, for over three days, and the track was perfect the entire weekend. I can't thank the Huffman's enough for letting this event take place here, and Ted for putting together nice track work and killer options and rhythm sections...it was actually quite fun. So thank you Ted, the P.R.O and work crew and the Huffman's.

During the weekend I saw some killer motos. All the teams present rode their butts off! Take for instance the battle between the Vets, Eric Waunch of EWMXSCHOOLS.COM and Pacific Northwest legend Rob Manning. Now if you don't know Eric then you would guess that he was about 5'2 and weighed about 140lbs, and you wouldn't know that Rob Manning was about 6'1 210lbs. This was the David and Goliath moto for sure, Eric or "EW" as the locals call him was riding a two stroke...ya I said it, a two stroke, but not any two stroke..a YZ125! Manning on the other hand was on the typical vet bike a CRF450. Now I don't know about you, but if I had to ride against a 450F on a little baby 125 heading up horsepower hill, I wouldn't be looking forward to that roost lap after lap, it hurts like hell! EW made that very clear as the two of them banged bars, stuffed, blocked and kicked each other in an all out war! Manning passing on the uphill, EW coming back and stuffing Manning high up after the pro start, almost in the trees. Hey, it was good kind of clean racing. EW ended up taking the win but boy did he have to earn it! It was definitely entertaining racing action. Both of these guys are seasoned professionals, and the competitiveness still hasn't left either of their bodies.

We also saw some crazy fast 125-250 pro racing action. Fast guys like Tiger Lacey, Kevin Urquhart, Shon Wilson, Greg Crater, Weston Potter, local fast kid Ryan Abrigo (abrigoracing.com) and relatively unknown Jarred Browne (JarredBrowne.com) Jarred Browne you say? Who's that? Well if you were there and saw the number 425 kid on a Suzuki out front, you found out he was fast! This kid was brought up to race with the Eastside Motosport’s team along with Abrigo and both guys delivered. Abrigo however had a very scary dismount that left him with 3 broken bones and a separated finger, all in his left hand. He had to have surgery to repair it. Abrigo came up on borrowed bikes and was already recovering from wrist surgery on his right hand. He was using the Top Gun races to start his conditioning for this years SX season. He may have to put that on hold a bit and heal up...but he was mobbin and a clear frontrunner in every moto until he stacked it. I called him the other day to check on him and see how he was doing. He said "my Dr. here in California says it's already looking good, and I shouldn't have any issues healing to 100%. He then said he should be riding within two months.. That's all these guys live for man, riding and racing...it's all about how fast they can heal and moto again. But for guys like Abrigo, Lacey and Browne, they come up here to make some money, last year Josh Hill walked away with nearly 4k! That's good cash for a weekend of racing and these pro's battle like mad out there for every penny. They risk life and limb, they put on one hell of a show, and they do it often...

I raced the 30+ Novice class and pretty much got owned. In fact, my only good moto was on Sunday when nearly the entire gate stacked up after the first turn. I came in last place around the first turn, and everybody was stopped! I honesty counted 25 bikes piled up, maybe even 30! Somehow by the grace of God there was an opening on the outside of this carnage that I managed to squeak through. So I took a deep breath of race gas fumes and pinned it. I ran over someone’s leg, bunny hopped over an RMZ450 and ran in 5th for a lap or two. I did get tired and the bacon grease and malted hops that I consume daily overtook my mind and muscles. I cruised on in about mid-pack. Yeah, it was an eye opener on how important a hole-shot device is, along with some sort of conditioning. I did however enjoy the track and the beautiful scenery. I think a gentleman with the last name of Stoner won that moto..Go figure.

The 2nd annual Goon Nationals race was fun to watch as well. Teams try and put together a rider that looks like a goon, has an original themed costume, and grabs the crowds favor as they look like idiots racing around on crack. This year as usual Ryan Huffman stole the show with an out of control ride through banners to a no bike lander face-plant into the Hillsoboro whoops section. It was hilarious.

Tevin Tapia is fast. I had never seen him race before. He looks like he's about 13 years old and should be playing with legos. On the track however he looks like a seasoned pro, he flat mobbs! He cleaned house in super-mini and the 125 Int classes. My good buddy Heath Hamblen had an excellent weekend of moto's in the intermediate classes beating some of the top intermediates in the state.
Lots of racers trekked up from all around. California had the most I assume with riders like Weston Potter, Zane Lovely, Ryan Abrigo and Jarred Browne. People make the trip because, well, it's one of the biggest non- national races around, the pro payout is very good, it's at Washougal, and it is three killer days of super hot chicks, hot weather, hotdogs, moth-boxing, and hot racing action. Moth-boxing? Well it is what it sounds like. Lure the moths in at night with bright lights, sit in lawn chairs with your pals, have some cocktails, tell some stories, and punch the heck outta moths that dare come near. Trust me it is a fun, and a must try. Find me or the Eastide Motosports pits next year and join in the fun. It's a great way to meet friends, bench race and just plain laugh. It's tradition now at Top Gun.

Besides my horrid moto's, some protests that were questionable, and the crazy heat with no showers, I had one helluva time! In the end the Top Gun for 2006 was the team from Motosport Hillsboro, Tiger Lacey was on the gas. In second came last years champions Eastside Motosports, and in third Eric Waunch's team EWMXSCHOOLS.COM. I honestly can't wait till next years event. I purposely raced just one class so I can relax the rest of the day and admire the beautiful girlys that roam the hillside, have some beers, and chat with all the riders and families. The cool thing is that it's a place that feels like home to me, the mx track. The race gas fumes, the constant sound of thumpers pushing rev- limits and the ever familiar sound of that announcer guy, what’s his name again? To me that’s heaven, and Washougal MX Park, any track for that matter, is where my heart is... I love this sport.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
Great article!! By the way who took the pictures, and are there anymore posted somewhere else on the web?

Rockwell | FirePoliceMX | FLY Racing | AllSport Honda | Fluidyne Powersports | ODI Grips | NaPalm Racing | Bridgestone Tires | QTM/Brembo | Factory Connection | Utopia Optics | Sidi Boots | FMF | Works Connection | No Toil | Cycra Plastics | Asterisks | Monster Energy | Dark Synergy | CV4 | IMS Products | True Arrogance Clothing |

Posts: 214 | Location: Spokane, WA/Southern Cali. | Registered: Tue August 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Thanks EW for posting this.. I hope u guys like it... I think I saw some of the photos at protopics.com under "2006 Top GUn" event..

BK

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Honda758
posted Hide Post
Thanks, was this article posted somewhere else before here?

Rockwell | FirePoliceMX | FLY Racing | AllSport Honda | Fluidyne Powersports | ODI Grips | NaPalm Racing | Bridgestone Tires | QTM/Brembo | Factory Connection | Utopia Optics | Sidi Boots | FMF | Works Connection | No Toil | Cycra Plastics | Asterisks | Monster Energy | Dark Synergy | CV4 | IMS Products | True Arrogance Clothing |

Posts: 214 | Location: Spokane, WA/Southern Cali. | Registered: Tue August 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we could talk Ted into puttin Mothboxing on the poster next year? LOL.

2006 CRF250R #396
2004 CRF250R #396

Mike Olshavsky

125 Begginer

Posts: 165 | Location: Wenatchee. 509! | Registered: Sat October 08 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Like it...I thought it was great. Thank you Kimball #126, all the Devol’s and Eric (EW) for a ride. This event was what I'd call my first real ride since 1993 and I have to say that I had a blast; Will I do it again…not sure but 2006 made it tough not to try. So thanks to all the participants, for the article (outside line, gas fumes and moth boxing...spot on, all true), the Devol’s for putting it on and the Huffman’s for the venue. I know for me TOP GUN 2006 will be one of those “Do you remember when…” moments.

Thanks and Wahoo!...I do enjoy the ride.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Potter, this article is supposed to be published soon in Moto Playground I think...Just waiting for my debut..lol..

BK

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what takes so long to get it in the mag. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice article Brian! I can't wait for the article to be published too, as I took 4 of those photos (browne, pro start, potter, and tiger). Top Gun was great, and I'll be out there taking photos in 07' too.

Posts: 14 | Location: Ravensdale | Registered: Tue January 31 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Your photos rock!

B

Picture of Schwen 108
posted Hide Post
Awesome that you DTM guys are already planning to be out there for 2007. I cannot wait for next years event. I'll be on a new bike, and the track will have another crazy fun lay-out. Although, I was kind of bummed we wernt able to use the "pro" gates this year. Awesome write up EW. I remember watching you. you were flying. and I did see probably your only mistake of the weekend, falling going up the first turn at the pro gates.

Posts: 11 | Location: Tumwater WA | Registered: Wed January 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee Livesey
posted Hide Post
You did a nice job on the story. It's interesting, funny, and puts a lot of between the motos interesting stuff. Keep up the good work.
No telling why it takes so long for some magazines to publish these.

Lee

Posts: 470 | Location: Benton City Washington | Registered: Sun October 17 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee..

B

posted Hide Post
We are told the article will be out in January.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Moto playground? I can't remember....

Picture of ..::MOTOX155::..
posted Hide Post
Top Gun Story is out in the PICKLE. Just got it today. Pretty SWEEEEET! Couldn't have done it without all the great contributors.

Posts: 214 | Location: Washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where's my mailman.......

Posts: 433 | Location: dbrazier@motors-controls.com | Registered: Fri January 14 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
I called Pickle today and they are sending me a box of the mag...gotta make sure I can pass them to my pals... I hope I can write more articles for them in the future..

BK

Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen it out yet?