Northwest Motocross Forum
2 Stroke open class??

This topic can be found at:
https://ewmxschools.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830604305/m/6627046043

Fri August 12 2011, 06:54 AM
Greg726
2 Stroke open class??
With all the hype on the 2 strokes comming back why don't you guys have a 2 stroke open class? Its just one more class you can sign up for.
Fri August 12 2011, 10:43 AM
Paul 061
There is already too many classes. I'd rather see lowering the number of classes and adding minutes to the motos.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...
Tue August 16 2011, 02:53 PM
smail
Amen to that Paul. Unlimited classes need to go away. Or make it 250 and unlimited or something where, I guess, a dude with one bike can ride two classes but only two. Two classes for big bikes is enough and if older riders want more they can ride age groups. I can race six classes if I wanted to right now at a PRO race!...not that I race!

Less classes equals more laps and more bang for your buck to me. Just saying.
Tue August 16 2011, 06:30 PM
Paul 061
That's why i am enjoying doing the off road stuff. I show up, race my 1 1/2 hours, still get my butt kicked, pack up go home:-)

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...
Wed December 07 2011, 08:39 AM
motodrew295
Lorettas is adding a two-stroke open class. Any skill any size, run what ya brung. Bring it to the PRO series, everyone already makes a weekend out of these races, whats 10 more minutes?

Wed December 07 2011, 10:07 AM
Rays Dad
A gate full of 2 strokes sounds so cool!
Wed December 07 2011, 12:55 PM
David Rose SR.
NO KOOL AID Drinkers in that class
Thu December 08 2011, 12:10 AM
Parker
I agree there are too many classes. I'd rather see less classes and more laps. But I understand the promoter makes more money if people ride 4 classes for 4 laps instead of 2 classes with 8 lap motos.

Get rid of the Unlimited Classes. Or remember when PRO used to have it as just 1 long moto?

I say just make your Schoolboy class a 125 Open Class(up to 144cc 2 stroke...so we don't have to worry about protests and no need to exclude KTM 150's or anyone who's built a 144.). No skill level. Don't put age restrictions on it. If a 16 year old wants to race a 125 let him in....and if a 26 or 46 year old wants to sign up let him. I bet you could create a class bigger than several of the ones that exist now.

The rest of the country is doing it.
Thu December 08 2011, 06:37 AM
joe439
Now there's a class I'd show and Race! It's turning into one of the more popular classes at the glen helen REM races.
Thu December 08 2011, 10:33 AM
David Rose SR.
I like the 2 Stroke open class idea.
Thu December 08 2011, 12:23 PM
ted
We did the 2 stroke thing in 2010. We had 5 guys in the class. The Unlimited class is a large class in all the levels. We are discussing a change in the Unlimited Pro class but haven't decided yet.
Thu December 08 2011, 03:33 PM
David Rose SR.
As people find out they can't afford 4strokes you will see more 2 STROKES
Thu December 08 2011, 10:08 PM
Workman #21
2x Strokes were, pre power-valves, easy enough to maintain. A couple of holes in a cylinder wall and that-was-that. Post Power Valve however now that's a bit different. To many moving parts and to many things to go wrong in re-assembly.

4x strokes seem a whole lot easier to maintain (post 2x power-valve) and ride. A feeler gauge a degree wheel and a good Subway and I'm ready to go.
Fri December 09 2011, 09:02 AM
Parker
Ken,

Your subway sandwich order is more complicated than a powervalve!
Fri December 09 2011, 09:06 AM
TRA-742
I would like to have a 20min transponder class and just race the track for fastest lap times I think that would be siiiiiiick!!!
Fri December 09 2011, 09:09 AM
motodrew295
quote:
Originally posted by ted:
We did the 2 stroke thing in 2010. We had 5 guys in the class. The Unlimited class is a large class in all the levels. We are discussing a change in the Unlimited Pro class but haven't decided yet.

That was then this is now. I know a lot of people are switching back to Two-strokes. Tired of blowing up 4 strokes, and finding good used 2-strokes.

Fri December 09 2011, 01:39 PM
Vetmx808
Instead of making an open 2-stroke class....just change the 250F class to a 250cc class restriction. The rest of the amature world does this. Montana changed this 2 years ago and it has been really successful. The old "125" class was about extinct until we changed the rules...lots of "older" fellas enjoying the 250 Novice/Int/Pro-Am class on their 2-strokes...
Sat December 10 2011, 12:28 PM
blaze
I like what MXA did to that KTM 300 and turned it into a MX'er. Switch the tank back and go trail riding, desert racing or whatever.
Thu December 29 2011, 08:48 PM
Parker
Back on the original subject..

There are too many classes and there should be a 125 class.

What’s the difference between Unlimited and 450? Anyone can ride whatever they want in the 450 class already…a 450, 250F, 350, or 250 2 stroke…so they are essentially the same class.

What classes used to be the biggest? 125! I remember 3 and 4 divisions of qualifiers for 125 Junior at Pac Wests in the early 90s! Why? Because it was the bike people could get into the sport with at a reasonable price and learn how to ride, race, develop technique, and learn how to work on. The growth and boom of Motocross came with 2 strokes in the 70s/80s/90s. We will never see growth and will only continue to shrink with everyone racing 4 strokes...regardless of the economy.

The main entry level class we had (125) morphed into the 250 class..full of 250F‘s and some 250 2 strokes. And we have a resurgence of the Open Class with 450’s. But we have no 125 class. A class that used to get a shitload of entries. A class that was perfect for kids coming off mini’s and perfect for newcomers to the sport. A class that always offered exciting racing at all levels…a class that was was pretty inexpensive to compete in. A class that you went fast in because you learned to ride the bike right and have momentum….not stop in a corner…sit down…and then twist the throttle and jump everything like every C rider on a 250F can do now.

The rest of the world is figuring this out. 2 stroke racing is huge in the UK and Europe. There is a 125 class at the REM series in California. The Megacross series I did when I lived in Illinois now has a 125 Open class and is averaging 17 riders a weekend. Check out this link from Florida: http://twostrokemotocross.com/...da-motocross-series/

I completely understand that you don’t want to add more classes. My suggestion is this…you already have a Schoolboy class that is 125-150 only. Simply make it an 125 (up to 144cc) Open class. Don’t discriminate against the 17 year olds (or 27 year olds!). I think you would be surprised by the entries and they would grow as the year went on. You can create a class someone could get a used bike for under $2500 and go race in. It might not have a full gate...but going through your results you had 3 450 Beginners at Horn Rapids in March on Saturday and 5 on Sunday! That's very surprising..

I think it's very ignorant for anyone to not realize that a 125 2 stroke class is extremely important for the health of Motocross. Do I want to race my 125. Absolutely! Anybody else care to join me?
Thu December 29 2011, 10:20 PM
mx510
I would love to join you Parker but I exceed the weight limit. Smile