Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exhaust noise.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Not to be a dick Osaka but do you really think the intake noise is that loud??? I've never been at a MX track and said damn thats a loud intake on that bike. Asian to Asian lets get real, loud intakes dont get places shut down from noise complaints do they. After all we are not racing Civics are we.

Issues like this blow my mind that people would rather wait till our riding areas are gone or under threat of being shut down to get off their ass and do something to help... I can't help but wonder if most just want someone else to do the work of helping keep noise issues from getting out of hand as they ride around on a loud ass 4 stroke with a race pipe and not a care in the world about noise.

As far as kids with dads putting exhaust on the bike, most younger kids are on 2 strokes and if dad has good packing in the muffler they are quieter than 4 strokes. The sound also does not travel as far so people will percive a 4 stroke as being louder than a 2 stroke at the same distance away from the track or on the trails.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Anderson
posted Hide Post
Well here I go again and I'll bet Justin pipes in (pun intended). We both have CRF450x pipes for our CRF450r bikes. Now I can't or don't win my motos but anybody who does the NWRA races knows that even with the quiet muffler/spark arrestor, our bikes easily pull the holeshot. And that goes for the many people that I've loaned my bike to on race day. (by the way my bike is still untouched internally)

"If life is the face of a rutted jump, will you pick the line that drags your footpegs?"

Posts: 294 | Location: Buckley | Registered: Fri December 29 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
HP and Noise got nothing in common. HP and Weight however now that's another story. It's all in the Math.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Osaka #627
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchracer:
Not to be a dick Osaka but do you really think the intake noise is that loud??? I've never been at a MX track and said damn thats a loud intake on that bike. Asian to Asian lets get real, loud intakes dont get places shut down from noise complaints do they. After all we are not racing Civics are we.

Issues like this blow my mind that people would rather wait till our riding areas are gone or under threat of being shut down to get off their ass and do something to help... I can't help but wonder if most just want someone else to do the work of helping keep noise issues from getting out of hand as they ride around on a loud ass 4 stroke with a race pipe and not a care in the world about noise.

As far as kids with dads putting exhaust on the bike, most younger kids are on 2 strokes and if dad has good packing in the muffler they are quieter than 4 strokes. The sound also does not travel as far so people will percive a 4 stroke as being louder than a 2 stroke at the same distance away from the track or on the trails.

why yes i really do. my bikes my entire life, have never sounded like anyone elses bikes i've ever seen on the local level..

they just sound different. and it's not the pipe, it's the airbox... it's simply sucking a lot more air, which in turn changes the entire sound and output of the motor... my bikes sound more throatier. a much lower tone, but deeper and stronger. more bass.. = more noise...

my kx 450 is to loud though, that thing is just stupid... even with a pc pipe it's to loud..

at supercross in 09, i had a pc on my 250'f and they saw that it was a pc, and pretty much just passed me upon seeing the pipe... kinda funny... the guy behind me had an fmf... he was there all day testing... and i swear his bike was quieter than mine...

The Asian Sensation - Stirring Sh** Since '89.

Posts: 693 | Location: Milton, WA | Registered: Tue November 30 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Anderson:
Well here I go again and I'll bet Justin pipes in (pun intended). We both have CRF450x pipes for our CRF450r bikes. Now I can't or don't win my motos but anybody who does the NWRA races knows that even with the quiet muffler/spark arrestor, our bikes easily pull the holeshot. And that goes for the many people that I've loaned my bike to on race day. (by the way my bike is still untouched internally)

Things will not change until promoters require it, plain and simple, and it isnt going to get any better till the economy gets better... If promoters require a 92 or less DB limit (which should be the case) people just wont show up to race, hell people arent showing up as it is...

Its pretty sad when a car that makes 300hp can be quiter than a bike that makes 50hp.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tomsti
posted Hide Post
If HP and noise were directly related the Bugatti Veyron would sound like a 777.

Veyron

Now loud is beautiful.
FXX

EW made me repack the Polini exhaust. It was as loud as the FXX. I could hear Brayden all the way around Burnt Ridge.

Posts: 35 | Location: Sammamish | Registered: Fri April 17 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Ken knows that my Kawi sounded like a helcopter with the PC pipe nice power but too damn loud!!
Back to the truck and try out a LEO vince nice much quieter.
A while back I tryed the enduro cap ans SA screen Now I am a happy camper. Quiet tourqe monster.
Brett pipes cost $1000.00

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
I've been on TRA's diet for a few years its starting to work..... Especially the loose of brain fog

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
I guess the question is then, are promoters willing to start enforcing something like this?

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that one Robert.

I remember back when they limited the entries into races. We used to get there early because of the limit. Motos were long, tracks weren't too crowded... Ahh the good ole days.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post