New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? on Moving up/down classes
 Login/Join

Picture of Bearmore
posted
I was wondering what are the rules on age classes? I previously raced 30+ but thanks to my B-day arriving a few days ago I am now in the 40+ class. So am I required to ride the same class in 40+ that I did at 30+? I know rules allowed a rider to move down one class when going down in age brackets but how does it operate the other way around?

Plus I have only been on my bike three times in the last three years an I know for a FACT I am no where near the class I was bumped up to at the end of the 06 season. Just wanting to get this all figured out before getting in line at the races Smile I AM!!!! getting back on this next year that is for sure!!!

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say spend some more time on the bike again before jumping to conculsions. You lack of ridding on the bike hurts you more then your skills cause unlike a lower level rider you know more what your comfortable with doing.

So what the faster rides in the class will be faster till you get back into shape why subject yourself to lesser skilled riders are you looking for pain?

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I was sorta in the same position Bearmore except the other way round. I'd turned 40+ and wanted to ride 30+. Did 40+ for one season and quit altogether.

No fun riding if only thing that happens is "win".

Started riding again at 50yr old. Been a hoot ever since. Thumpers (4x stroke) make a diff.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I get to ride 40 this summer, just might take a withdrawal card from the MXPPA for the memorial day old timers. I hear they are pretty fun races.

When I rode 30+ for the first time, I though it would be easier. I was at washougal, and was riding 25+b adn 30+b. Did pretty decent in 25+. Got my butt kicked in 30+. I'm not sure if it was the underestimation of how fast those old dudes were, or what.

I hope to be able to enjoy racing a bit more riding with the geezers. Time will tell.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
Well Ken, I've only had the pleasure of "winning" during 2 seasons out of racing since 1983. So I am thinking even if I dropped down I would still get my butt kicked because as Aaron stated: there are many fast "old dudes" and no matter where you go there is always a "local".

Maybe I will just join the MXPPA being I did enjoy myself a bit going to the PA open practice a few months ago.

Posts: 445 | Location: Whidbey Island | Registered: Fri March 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
I would say ride the same class.I suppose you can drop down for one race and see how you do. If start owning everybody Ted will move you up anyway...

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Bearmore what class were you thinking of riding?

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
Intermediate

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
That's wht I run and I'm mid pack when I'm doing good. I also run 30 C and am upper mid pack. Ted's series is the only one that lets you step down a class for the age groups.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Intermediate?

Bearmore my advice just have fun. If you make a double pull off the track and celebrate. If you wack-da-whoops do same. If you show up to the track in a busted down heap of a truck with a brand new bike in the back I've got utmost respect.

Intermediate? I'd go for begginer and keep an eye out out for "spodes".

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bearmore
posted Hide Post
The worst part is having to look out for spodes in the Int. class as well Smile Besides I think I am known well enough by most of the promoters that I participate in their series that I could never get away with beginner.

Not to mention staying as long as I did in "Beginner" did not help me out in any way shape or form. I worked long and hard to be bumped by the AMA through the years and it is my sole accomplishment in MX.