Find
Notify
Tools

Wow check this out
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Hawkins
posted
ITALY BANS FOUR-STROKES FOR RIDERS UNDER THE AGE OF 15

The number of two-stroke manufacturers expands way beyond the Japanese Big Four—as the TM 125MX proves.

According to the FIM, the Italian federation banned kids from riding four-strokes in competition until after their 15th birthday. FIM head guru Wolfgang Srb welcomed the Italian move and said, "This is great news. We must keep down the cost at entry level to our sport and many fathers can work on a two-stroke but not on a four-stroke. We at the FIM set a signal when we restricted the World Junior Championship to two-strokes, and the UEM have introduced the wonderful 125 series. I am sure other federations will soon follow Italy's lead." France already has a rule that restricts teenagers in National competition to bikes of 125cc or less until their 16th birthday.

Hawk

Posts: 354 | Location: Redmond | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
I think I can hear a bunch of Japanese bike builders stomping up and down.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Love it...now its the AMA's turn.

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
Agreed, great move! Not to mention the noise relief. Braaaaaaaaap.

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
I hear the words but gotta ponder'em

Not much difference between 2x and 4x stroke by way of maintenance. At 2x one grinds ports looking for the "perfect-flow" and no piston burn but at 4x it's about lift-N-timing. $Dollar wise seems same. 2x guys PORT and 4x guys LIFT.

$Dollars-Per-Ride? is a topic I can accept. 2x vs 4x for sake of complexity I cannot.

Learn the Physics bout friction, grind, heat, wear is about all I can add.

Love me Red Wounder (4x) machine.... and a good Subway sandwich of course (grins). Gas, Food to and fro...Its a KW tradition.

I do love riding MX bikes and jumping ... Wahoo!

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
With the 125 being lighter more nimble with less power, might be alittle safer for 15 yr old kids. Add a light flywheel weight for traction more 4 stroke like..

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 strokes...yeah! 125's are the best for youngsters. Long live the mighty BRAAAAAPPPPP!!!

Posts: 157 | Location: kent, wa, usa | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love to jump on the good old CR125 that I have my 17 year old riding. I would welcome the chance to see a class of 125s racing at the tracks again love that sound.

Posts: 229 | Location: Auburn WA | Registered: Tue November 16 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAZZ 995
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smail:
2 strokes...yeah! 125's are the best for youngsters. Long live the mighty BRAAAAAPPPPP!!!

Here, Here!

Posts: 86 | Location: yakatak | Registered: Thu August 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post