New
Find
Notify
Tools

cpsc lead ban response
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
I just filed letters with the congressman and appropriate representatives. Below is a link that is a one stop, voice your opinion and will get you a confirmation to finalize this crap!!!
The AMA web site has a prepared letter for those that do not know what to say. Add your name and send. It is that easy.

It is under issues and regulations on the AMA web site follow the simple instructions.
Really!! it only took 3 minutes.
With all the voice on this forum, surely we can get this to a halt or at least have them reconsider.
cpsc lead ban

http://www.amadirectlink.com/l...tn/rapidresponse.asp

Posts: 157 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Tue December 19 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motox247
posted Hide Post
Someone in one of the other threads said that money is the only thing that gets politician's attention, so I have an idea.

Everyone who is writing/calling about this issue, get together your records or receipts and prove just how much money you spend in this sport in a year or two years, or as long as the kids are on minis, and include the figure with your complaint. Is it $20,000, $30,000... more? Don't forget:

Gas!
Bigger property?
RV
Trailer
Truck
Hotels
Meals
and of course bikes & gear.

Everyone I know who is not in the sport is ASTOUNDED by the amount of money we spend on it, and we aren't even big spenders compared to many of you. If money talks, motocross money screams!

Maybe if politicians see the dollars that will stop 'stimulating' the economy they'll be more motivated to make some changes...

two4seven (or his mom)

Posts: 196 | Location: Ferndale, WA | Registered: Fri August 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
lead ban on channel 4 news tonight at 11pm, suppose to talk about how it affects the motorcycle industry

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
quote:
lead ban on channel 4 news tonight at 11pm, suppose to talk about how it affects the motorcycle industry
I was lookk'n for this on the tube last weekend (2-14-2009, 2-15-2009) never spotted it.

Are we supposed to think that the locals (politicians) got a clue.

Is there a diff between gas-tanks-and-barbies...and lead content in either?

Sharkey...Dude..peeps wanna know.

Barbies or Gas?

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
The response I got from my Senator in Montana:

Dear Jason:

Thank you for contacting me about your concerns with several aspects of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) as passed during the 110th Congress.

Last year, we heard alarming reports about unsafe imports from China, one of America's largest trading partners. Americans should not have to fear that things they buy at retail stores and supermarkets could be dangerous to their children. It is the responsibility of agencies like the Consumer Product Safety Commission to identify every risk. In an effort to ensure that products sold in America are safe, the CPSIA law places stringent testing criteria on any product intended for the use of a child under the age of 12.

I am concerned, however, about how these regulations may affect both micro-business owners and local artisans across Montana, as well as the youth ATV industry. I will continue to advocate for common sense in laws and regulation. To that end, please be assured that my staff is looking into this issue. In the meantime, I urge you to review the document provided by the Consumer Product Safety Commission entitled, "Guidance on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) for Small Businesses, Resellers, Crafters and Charities" for more specific answers to the many questions you may have about this issue. This document is available online at http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsi...us/cpsiasbguide.html

As we move forward, I will continue to work with my colleagues to find the best solutions to adequately protect American workers, consumers, and businesses. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jon Tester
United States Senator

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
I emailed this to our senator Maria ,Better, CAN_Damn_Well, still waiting for my form letter Big Grin

Senator,
I am trying to understand why their is such a prejudice against the off-road motorcycle community? The CPSC ban on all small motorcycles and ATV's is just unrealistic and bias. Look, I have been working very hard with safety, noise, Tred Lightly programs, trail maintenance, and education on being a Green rider. I have been a hiker, climber for over 30 years and 6 years ago I joined a motorcycle club and I am presently the club secretary. Our club was founded in 1951 and have been going strong ever since. My son has grown to be quite the responsible young man. Through education and example my son (17 years old) has trained real hard, stays away from drugs, drinking, and partying. He has been an example to our neighbor kids and at his school. The fact here is he is not alone in this, many of the kids he races with, from all over this country are the same. It takes dedication and allot of hard training to become an accomplished motocross racer. They don’t have room in their lives to party. We travel throughout our great state and the Northwest every weekend. If you would take the time to look up how hard they have to train I think you will be amazed to find that motocross is one of the most physical demanding sports there is. You see my son is not included in this ban but it affects him none the less. I wish you could just experience the camaraderie displayed within this community. These are the people that will pull over to see it they can help if you a broke down on the side of the road. These are the people that will race hard against each other on the track and after the race help you out if you have a problem. Name a sport that helps out its competitor? Not many. You see this law is not right in a number of ways. The phthalate that they say is to high of a level is found in football pads, soccer pads, bicycle pads, skate boarding pads, golf clubs, golf bags, rubber balls in all sports and volley ball pads. If you look at this list, what I just described all make direct contact with the skin. So why then are they not affected?? The answer... a major revolt! You know it as well as the rest of us. Kids don’t ride their motorcycles with bare skin touching the bike. Kids don’t put the motorcycle in their mouth or lick any parts of a motorcycle. Prejudice has no reason. Uninformed people cause damage rather then help solve problems. Please get informed try to see what is being done to our kids. What message are you sending? Right now you are not being looked at as a solution but as problem. That is not how we want to educate our kids about government. Do the right thing, be there for the kids, stop this unnecessary ban and prejudice against our RIGHT to ride.
Thank you for your time. I hope this wont just generate another form letter.

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
Nice letter!

Still can't find how Motorcycles ended getting grouped into this...

What are phthalates?
Phthalates are a group of chemicals (oily, colorless liquids) that are used, among other things, to make vinyl and other plastics soft and flexible. Many types of phthalates are in use today. As of February 10, 2009, three have been prohibited outright in the United States for use in certain products and three more are prohibited pending further action by the Commission.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What products are covered by the prohibition on the use of phthalates?
Three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, have been permanently banned in concentrations of more than 0.1% in “children’s toys” or “child care articles.”

A “children’s toy” is a product intended for a child 12 years of age or younger for use when playing. General use balls, bath toys/bath books, dolls and inflatable pool toys are examples of toys that are covered by the law and might contain phthalates. Bikes, playground equipment, musical instruments, and sporting goods (except for their toy counterparts) are not considered toys and therefore not affected by the ban.

A “child care article” is a product that a child 3 years of age and younger would use for sleeping, feeding, sucking or teething. Bibs, child placemats, child utensils, feeding bottles, cribs, booster seats, pacifiers and teethers are child care articles that are covered by the law and might contain phthalates.
Three additional phthalates, DINP, DIDP, and DnOP, have been prohibited in concentrations of more than 0.1% pending further study and review by the Commission and a group of outside experts. This interim prohibition applies to: (a) child care articles, and (b) toys that can be placed in a child’s mouth or brought to the mouth and kept in the mouth so that it can be sucked or chewed (for example: squeeze toys, teethers, bathtub toys and uninflated pool toys).

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
Is that not just too funny Frown Bikes are not a threat but a motorcycles ,ATV,s are??? huh??? Confused

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A kid probly has more of a chance of getting ASS cancer from the vinal seat than lead in the paint.
What a crock of crap!

Posts: 289 | Location: lk stevens | Registered: Mon November 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bikes, playground equipment, musical instruments, and sporting goods (except for their toy counterparts) are not considered toys and therefore not affected by the ban.

Classic government inept ability; in their concern for the American Child, they left out the things that 99% of all kids play on or with. Every time I go by a playground or watch a kid play sports, I’ll think about how they missed the mark.

Posts: 8 | Location: tukwilla | Registered: Tue June 13 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a question maybe someone can answer for me. Why is it that the local dealer can not sell kids bikes but places like shucks, joes sports ect.. can sell the crap brands with out a problem?

when you hit the wall you have to choose to go over or around, why do you keep running into it?

Posts: 210 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Could it be that we now ow China 2 Trillon dollars and they got an exemption? Hell they wrote the bill?
Now we see a dealer with a pair.
http://www.kidslove2ride.com/

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no kidding. A customer of mine really blew my mind today. Are you having trouble wrapping your head around how much 1 trillion dollars really is? Here is a great comparison:
1 Billion seconds = 32 years
1 Trillion seconds = 32,000 years

How scary is that Trillion dollar defecit looking now?

Posts: 475 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Thu November 20 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Looks as though there will be a stay against the ban for kids bikes. Nice to see a step in the right direction....

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
Arron did they say what the length of the stay was?

Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
STATEMENT OF THE HONORABLE THOMAS H. MOORE
ON THE PETITION FOR TEMPORARY FINAL RULE
TO EXCLUDE A CLASS OF MATERIALS UNDER SECTION 101(b) OF
THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 2008 (CPSIA)
April 16, 2009
I am aware of the speculation that has surrounded my vote on this issue. My staff has spent the
time since the ballot came to the Commission working on what I believe is a good solution for the riders
of youth motorized recreational vehicles, building and expanding upon the initial position taken by
Acting Chairman Nord. The direction my colleague and I are giving to the staff today balances the
Congressional desire to protect children from unnecessary contact with leaded components in these
vehicles with the need to protect those same children from the potential for physical injury related to
riding inappropriate adult-sized vehicles, or riding vehicles either in need of repair or less structurally
sound than the ones currently on the market.
It is clear from the post-enactment statements of some Members of Congress who were
Conferees on the CPSIA that they believe the Commission has the authority to make sensible
allowances for these vehicles as long as child safety is not compromised. Given the extremely
restrictive language of the law, the only avenue I can see is for the Commission to establish an
enforcement plan that follows, to the greatest extent possible, the Act’s intention for future production,
while providing relief to the industry and the riding community for vehicles already manufactured and
those manufactured during the stay. There are compelling safety arguments that justify a stay of
enforcement.
It is ironic that I am defending vehicles that I consider to be dangerous for children under 12 to
ride and which contain accessible parts with excess levels of lead. However, the alternatives appear to
be more dangerous. American parents seem to be willing to accept the risk for their children riding
these vehicles, so it is the agency’s task, at this stage, to ensure that the vehicles are as safe as possible.
One safety rule the agency has stressed is keeping children off of adult-sized ATVs.1 To the extent that
new children’s ATVs cannot currently meet the lead limits in the CPSIA, there is the likelihood that
parents seeking new vehicles will buy adult-sized ATVs for their children to use. We have also been
notified by one ATV manufacturer that they are simply relabeling their Y-6+ and Y-10+ youth ATVs as
Y-12+, removing the speed limiting device and continuing to sell them. Thus the vehicles that are more
accurately sized for younger children will be less safe because of their ability to attain higher speeds.
1 Most of my discussion is focused on the ATV industry as they present the greatest (lead and non-lead) safety challenges.
However, the enforcement program will also apply to children’s off-road motorcycles and snowmobiles.
Page 2
The other part of the safety equation that helps balance an enforcement plan against the increased
lead exposure it allows, is based on the assertions that certain vehicle components cannot be made with
lead below a certain level without compromising the structural integrity (or another safety element) of
the component. The enforcement plan of the Commission must require concrete data from the
manufacturers on this point to justify their continued use of lead in excess of the applicable lead limit.
The industry has pointed to the European Union’s RoHS and ELV Directives as a guide for what
lead reductions or substitutions may be technologically infeasible for their youth vehicles. While we
might not need to allow the high lead limits allowed in those Directives for all components, there is
guidance to be taken in how the European system is administered. They set an expiration date for their
exemptions. Prior to that expiration date it is up to industry to come in and make their case that it is still
technologically infeasible to reduce lead to a level at which an exemption is no longer required. The
evidence considered is strictly limited to technological feasibility, not on the higher cost of a viable
substitute. The guiding principle for this agency’s determinations has to be the safety of the children
riding these vehicles.
I believe a stay of enforcement issued by the Commission should:
--relieve all makers, sellers, and distributors of youth motorized recreational
vehicles made to date and through the expiration date of the stay from enforcement
actions for failure to meet the lead limits of the CPSIA;
--allow those vehicles to be repaired, sold, traded, and otherwise used as they
have been;
--allow the sale, distribution and installation of replacement parts that are
comparable in lead levels to the old part being replaced until such time as those parts can
be brought into compliance;
--expect industry to bring their vehicle components into compliance on a
reasonable schedule, to the extent that is technologically feasible, and to provide us with
the detailed information we need to make informed decisions about those components in
the future.
The Commission simply cannot ignore the safety tradeoffs that could arise by not providing this
relief but it must also work with industry to bring the non-complying components of these youth
vehicles as close to the lead limits established by law as is currently technologically feasible, to the
extent those parts cannot be made inaccessible. The Commission also needs to let the riding community
know that they can continue to use the vehicles they own as they always have.
I believe the approach taken today by myself and Acting Chairman Nord of directing the staff to
draft a Federal Register notice containing concrete elements of a stay is the reasonable approach that the
Congress is looking for us to take. I anticipate that the Commission will vote to approve it in the near
future.

It seems that this means that as soon as their staff posts the stay to the Federal Register, and whatever statutory time limit passes, the stay will be official

The way I understand this is that they are going to give the OEM's reasonable time to come into some form of compliance. I am no lawyer though.. .

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
I am happy they placed a stay on this supidity but man are you reading this garbage? It tells how these morons think....next they will be attacking ice skating...the skates have lead and they are very sharp someone could get cut by one...and the water that they use for the ice may be unhealthy for the skater...and dont forget that nasty ice is really really hard....since when do they think they have the power to choose what is safe for the people to do in this world? Maaaan the next new law will be on governing common sence.....comming from them will be an absolute nightmare! Besides the Dawin awards would have no one to write about....bummmer Big Grin

posted Hide Post
There must be no fishermen or specifically no under 12 fishermen left in the United States????
Dumbasses in government must stlll be using rocks. Confused

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motodad642:
I am happy they placed a stay on this supidity but man are you reading this garbage? It tells how these morons think....next they will be attacking ice skating...the skates have lead and they are very sharp someone could get cut by one...and the water that they use for the ice may be unhealthy for the skater...and dont forget that nasty ice is really really hard....since when do they think they have the power to choose what is safe for the people to do in this world? Maaaan the next new law will be on governing common sence.....comming from them will be an absolute nightmare! Besides the Dawin awards would have no one to write about....bummmer Big Grin

For sure Motodad. I like how they say that while lead in inherently dangerous, there is an even higher risk of the morons letting thier moron offspring ride adult moron sized vehicles.

At least that's what I read. I can't believe they read my mind. Brendan blew up his KTM 50, so I was just going to let him ride my 450 till I could buy him parts.

Glad they saved me the trouble.

Whatever their rationale is, I'll take it, as long as I can buy that 65 this summer.

Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

For sure Motodad. I like how they say that while lead in inherently dangerous, there is an even higher risk of the morons letting thier moron offspring ride adult moron sized vehicles.

At least that's what I read. I can't believe they read my mind. Brendan blew up his KTM 50, so I was just going to let him ride my 450 till I could buy him parts.

Glad they saved me the trouble.

Whatever their rationale is, I'll take it, as long as I can buy that 65 this summer.

Ya its a start.... but the little guy on the 450 just might of been the next Darwin Award article....LOL..jk...