Find
Notify
Tools

Any YZ125 experts?
 Login/Join

Picture of motox247
posted
Hi All,

Thought I'd try here before I haul the bike to the shop and spend $$$.... Here's the deal:

Joe crashed, broke himself, not the bike. But the bike sat for about 4 months before anyone tried to start it again and now it won't start. The boys checked/cleaned the carb, checked/cleaned air filter, checked/tightened spark plug & wire. It's getting a little spark and plenty of fuel. Won't bump start. Any ideas what to check next? Any ignition parts that would go bad from just sitting? It's wierd (and frustrating!).

Help!

two4seven (or his mom)

Posts: 196 | Location: Ferndale, WA | Registered: Fri August 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jb329
posted Hide Post
i worry aobut that happening with my bike its already sat 3 months since i got hurt and i have another 3 months. i made sure to clean the carb before i put it away though

Posts: 303 | Location: Ellensburg | Registered: Wed October 10 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
Sitting around shouldn't effect any ignition parts unless something was actually damaged in the impact of the crash but that is unlikely.

When they checked the plug did they put in a new one? Make sure it is getting consistent spark and not just every now and then. I worked on a YZ400 one time that would just spark irregularly every so often and only give a pop once in a while when trying to start it.... turned out to be a sheared flywheel key so it was a $1 fix but a strange problem to figure out.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad Gas?
Chipped reed?
Spark plug lead loose at coil?
Air leak?

There is nothing on that bike that cant be fixed at home with basic tools except the crank and suspention.

Posts: 289 | Location: lk stevens | Registered: Mon November 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motox247
posted Hide Post
We have checked all of those things. Spark plug lead is the most likely candidate, but you can't just replace the lead (it comes attached to the coil) so it's $80 bucks just to see if that's the problem... Ugh.

two4seven (or his mom)

Posts: 196 | Location: Ferndale, WA | Registered: Fri August 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motox247
posted Hide Post
Napalm - what's a flywheel key?

two4seven (or his mom)

posted Hide Post
I'm surprised nobody told you to keep the grips and park a Honda under it Smile

Can you define "little spark".

Is the exhaust possibly plugged?

Posts: 195 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Tue February 28 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
The flywheel key is what locks the flywheel to the crankshaft at the correct position so all the magnets line up with the coils and produce current for the spark.

It's very rare but if the key shears off then the flywheel can move around on the crank and it will cause you to have a irregular spark every so often when trying to start the bike. It may pop once if the spark happened to be timed right but it will never start. You can tell by taking the ignition cover off and trying to spin the flywheel. If the flywheel moves and the crank doesn't then it's broken.

Also you can usually unscrew the plug cap from the wire and try a spark test with the end of the wire (be careful) to see if the plug cap is the problem.

Sometime the plug wire unscrews from the coil side just like the cap unscrews from the wire. If the wire comes off you could test the wire with a multi meter. Or just find someone with a YZ125 that will let you borrow their coil for a minute.

Nathan Palm
NaPalm Racing www.napalmracing.com

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air
Fuel
Spark
Its one of those.
No offence Napalm, But the crank key is probly the last place to look on a 125.

Im in Lake Stevens if you want to bring it over for A look.

Posts: 289 | Location: lk stevens | Registered: Mon November 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E.W. #849
posted Hide Post
YZ125 help? I have all the info you need Val. Did you get it running good?

Posts: 3404 | Location: Bothell, WA | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Eric:
Air
Fuel
Spark
Its one of those.
No offence Napalm, But the crank key is probly the last place to look on a 125.

Im in Lake Stevens if you want to bring it over for A look.

I know, I've only seen it once.... the bike had been to 2 shops and no one could get it running. After they guy bought a new coil at shop #1 and a new CDI at shop #2 it turned out to be the flywheel key and I got it running for like a buck, he was pissed.

posted Hide Post
Aint that how it goes sometimes.

Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
How about water in the pipe.

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Setting for a while. How about gummed up rings, weak spark, weak compression and flooded.

Could happen

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of daddio
posted Hide Post
If he crashed the last time it was rode...... what about dirt in the hill switch, holding it on? Or maybe just loose/unplugged wires somewhere. Or........ ground wire coming loose.

Posts: 231 | Location: kent,wa | Registered: Thu September 16 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motox247
posted Hide Post
You all are great, thanks for the responses. Been too busy to mess with it, but we're going to dig into it again this weekend. If all else fails we'll get it to one of the Erics Smile

two4seven (or his mom)