New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine Ice
 Login/Join

Picture of Aaron
posted
Does anyone use it? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I use it, I'm not that impressed. for $20 for a half gallon it's expensive. When I use this up I'm going to try water wetter.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Can you elaborate Paul? I have never had any problems with coolant, just wondered what the bid deal is with it. The KTM was low on coolant last night and I drained it and used some Engine Ice. I didn't know if its any better or worse than the regular coolant.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I started using it because my bike was having cooling issues. It ended up being that I had a broken head gasket and that was causing the coolant to comeout the overflow. I don't think it is any better or worse than regular auto antifreeze. The one thing I do like about it is that it is non toxic and won't harm the environment or animals should they get into it. I have heard good things about water wetter for helping with overheating issues.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Levi
posted Hide Post
i use water wetter in all my bikes
works good for me

Posts: 178 | Location: washington | Registered: Wed January 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
Can you elaborate Paul? I have never had any problems with coolant, just wondered what the bid deal is with it. The KTM was low on coolant last night and I drained it and used some Engine Ice. I didn't know if its any better or worse than the regular coolant.
ive used it for over a year now and it seems to work good. Coolanol by maxima is also good and a bit cheaper

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Is'nt it just poly glycol? available in auto stores.
Also when you use it you must flush the old fluids out completely and let dry or it is worse then plain water.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
had issues one time, switched to Ice and worked great... I use water wetter now, cheaper and the ratio you use it... i will have enough to last forever. if your ride hard and are in the heat, your bike may not run at its peak performance but for an MXPPA guy its probably not that big of a deal... Big Grin

Cooler is better... run it

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
I get hot long before she (My Kawy) does......

Picture of R Hosmer
posted Hide Post
I use to run ice in my sons 50s. It worked better than reg antifreeze. Im now useing two2wet and it works good also.

Posts: 39 | Location: easton wa | Registered: Fri March 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NaPalm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
I get hot long before she (My Kawy) does......

I agree Cool

I've only ever had overheating issues when I've taken a 450 out on tight trails that the bike really isn't geared low enough for. Clutch slipping in 1st gear = hot! Although that was on a YZ450 so maybe with the Honda the clutch heat wouldn't transfer to the engine side as much because of the independent oil chambers?

Posts: 1055 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: Wed May 05 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least five of my friends use Engine Ice. I think that I was the last to switch. I switched after I did some mods to the bike. It seemed to help keep the heat down. Also my buddy's rmz250 was overheating and we put it in there and it hasn't overheated since, but he ride better now

Posts: 109 | Location: Bonney Lake | Registered: Tue July 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Levi:
i use water wetter in all my bikes
works good for me
i used to use that alot in my old drag car because they wont let you run antifreeze at the track because its to hard to clean up on pavement, never tired it onbikes though

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red-line Water Wetter is the way to go. Straight water will cool better than an antifreeze mixture, and water with W/W is even better.

Posts: 139 | Location: West Richland | Registered: Mon December 26 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
I used that water wetter stuff and not sure if it cooled any better but it is nasty when you drain it. I havent figured out how to not make a mess when draining coolant and this stuff made it worse. when all the water evaporates it leaves behind the minerals maybe? whatever it left behind it wasn't pleasent to clean up.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeVol911
posted Hide Post
The problem with normal automotive coolants is they contain silicats that over time create corrosion and oxidization of a motorcycles aluminum engine and radiators. Which in turn can cause waterpump failure. On top of that a vast majority of people mix these coolants with household tap water which has even more trace minerals that can cause water pump failure, corrosion, and oxidization. I use Engine Ice. Stick an adhesive thermometer to your engine and radiator. Run normal coolant and then Engine Ice. You will see a temp. drop with the Engine Ice. For the 4-strokes I have found no matter what coolant you run you will always over heat to some degree. The only true fix is to ditch the stock radiator cap 1.1 for a higher pressure 1.4(20 psi) or a 2.0(30 psi) radiator cap. I run a 20 psi and never lost a drop! Maxima, Silkolene, Motorex, etc. all make excellent coolants specifically for Off-Road vehicles that will not cause internal damage. All are great products. If I wasn't running Engine Ice I would be running Pro Honda Coolant. It's good stuff. Comes pre-mixed and at 4.95 a quart you can't beat the stuff.I would not run Prestone, Peak, or any other automotive coolants in my bikes. If you insist on Prestone or whatever atleast go to your local grocery store and spend the .99 for a gal of distilled water to mix it with! Just my .02

Posts: 95 | Location: E.Wenatchee, Wa USA | Registered: Wed February 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
quote:
DeVol911

Dude you are so busted!

I've been wondering who that 911 guy was...know I know (grins)

Engine Ice huh? sounds good but for me and my red wonder machine I think I'll pick up the Honda stuff and at the same time pick up Pike 62's honda parts. Local shop of course.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you go to Napa or any other autoparts store you can ask for the low silicate antifreeze (recomended for all diesel engines) i personally run engine ice in all my bikes, but if you want to use normal antifreeze get the low silicate because it causes less corossion.

Posts: 440 | Location: Royal city | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeVol911
posted Hide Post
You are right Steve, that is a good option that I forgot about those, but what I was getting at is most people wouldn't look for that. Or know about it for that matter. Low Silicate is a better option than your standard Prestone, but I believe the Pro Honda, Engine Ice, Maxima, Silkolene are silicate free. Good info though!

Posts: 95 | Location: E.Wenatchee, Wa USA | Registered: Wed February 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post