New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine Ice
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Zip Ty racing has some coolant that is supposed to be waterless? I'm not sure if it is pure antifreeze or what.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Paul,

When changing to Engine Ice, do you have to flush the system thoroughly or just drain the old coolant and fill with EI?

Also, are you headed to the Tri-Cities this weekend?

Aaron

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I would throughly flush it with water and let it set with the drains open for a few hours to get as much water out as possible, if you have a way to blow air through it that would be better.

Ya, I'm planning on leaving tomorrow around noon.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanP
posted Hide Post
I have some of the ZipTy stuff...it is supposed to be Gel based (not sure what that means). I have been told that the positive is that the boil point is higher than that of Engine Ice or that type of coolant. The question that has been popping up on boards is that if it is safe to use something that allows engine temps to go that high. At least with "regualar coolant" it boils over before the enging has "melted down". We used the ZipTy stuff when my son was starting out on his Polini 50 with the auto clutch. As some of you know, if your kids "blip" the throttle constantly you can overheat those bikes really quickly. Once he got over the "blips" we went back to Engine Ice and he has never made the bike steam.

I know a lot of the off road guys on 450's swear by the Zip Ty stuff however. There seems to have been good discussions over on thumpertalk...

Posts: 273 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed February 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
I ruined a water pump with prestone antifreeze. It was cavitation erosion. Yes, better off sticking to antifreeze specified for dirt bikes etc. It has the additives to prevent cavitation. Currently I have been sticking to the Honda stuff with no problems over heating and that includes slow trail riding hills etc.

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post