E.W. Motocross Schools    Northwest Motocross Forum    Northwest Motocross Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  **PIT**TALK**    tricks to install grpahics on new plastics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tricks to install grpahics on new plastics?
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody know how to install graphics?

Posts: 109 | Location: Bonney Lake | Registered: Tue July 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Sure I do all the time. The trick is patience and a hair dryer. Peel about 3 square inches of a corner off and stick it down where it goes but don't push hard. Lay the rest of the graphic down to make sure it's going to line up everywhere. The push down hard on the part you have attached, remove some more of the paper, repeat the process. Use a hair dryer to stretch and move the graphics to make them conform to curves, use a plastic squeegee to get the bubbles out. If anything looks wrong immediately pull it up and start over. Patience, patience, patience. If you do a google search you can find several videos. Did I mention that the key is patience.

One video, there are others
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhojRzfRZQY

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MX516
posted Hide Post
Also, Decal works sold a 3 step application fluid including adhesive removal, pre app cleaner and application stuff. It allows you to peel off the whole thing, spray the stuff on and you can easily move the graphics around and squeegee out the fluid and bubbles. Works great!!! Patience is still required but not nearly as much. Main thing is you have to go back a couple times during the process to reset the hard sections. I've done 3-4 sets now and I've never had anything peel. Overall I Highly recommend the stuff and it is much easier.

Or do what Paul said… and make sure the plastic is very clean (including oil from hands) and try to preheat the graphic and plastic a little (especially when cold).

Posts: 571 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: Sun May 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MX516:
Also, Decal works sold a 3 step application fluid including adhesive removal, pre app cleaner and application stuff. It allows you to peel off the whole thing, spray the stuff on and you can easily move the graphics around and squeegee out the fluid and bubbles. Works great!!! Patience is still required but not nearly as much. Main thing is you have to go back a couple times during the process to reset the hard sections. I've done 3-4 sets now and I've never had anything peel. Overall I Highly recommend the stuff and it is much easier.

Or do what Paul said… and make sure the plastic is very clean (including oil from hands) and try to preheat the graphic and plastic a little (especially when cold).

I use the Decal Works 3 step system...perfect everytime! Plus it smells good! Smile

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice I might have to see if I can find that 3 step stuff.

Posts: 109 | Location: Bonney Lake | Registered: Tue July 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to get some of that stuff I took my time making everything line up, used a blow dryer, and used acetone to clean up the plastic prior, after a few rides the graphics on some tricky corners are peeling. mostly the multi finger corners (2010 yz450f)

Posts: 55 | Location: arlington, wa | Registered: Tue August 17 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
Windex sprayed under it works just like that other stuff

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimball #126
posted Hide Post
Beer, patience, hairdryer, more beer, and some cheetos. lol.. I have actually gotten quite good at it over the years, it really isn't that hard but u do need heat and to not be in a hurry...

Posts: 1187 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodrew295
posted Hide Post
Windex, or any glass cleaner with ammonia, spray a thin coat on the back of a fresh decal, then slide it into alignment then work out the glass cleaner. One most all of the corners are lined up use a heat gun, (harbor freight like $16.00) to lay down the rest of the edges and evaporate the windex.

Posts: 525 | Location: kennewick,WA | Registered: Wed March 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moderbike x
posted Hide Post
the worst job to do on a bike aside with linkage grease!

Posts: 215 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Sat December 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post