Find
Notify
Tools

Read on
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Hawkins
posted
http://www.motocrossactionmag....ENTANT-TWO-7970.aspx

Long drug out article but still a good read, I have to say though I CAN NOT RIDE A 250 two stroke like I can a 450, trust me I rode 250s for many of years and maybe it was the brand but that bike cost me on average $200 bucks a month to ride, and that was not a bike payment that was one month top end, two months later bottom end, so on and so on. I would have to say since I went to a four stroke maintenance cost are down, but I did have to almost give up my left nut to purchase one.

Then again my new 1996 KTM 250SX was $5100 OTD, and now they are $7100 OTD for basically the same bike.

Hawk

Posts: 354 | Location: Redmond | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 1981 Maico 490 was the greatest two-stroke Open class bike ever made. Imagine if today's AMA rules allowed 450cc two-strokes to race against 450cc four-strokes.

.... my favorite part of the article Smile

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Hawkins:
http://www.motocrossactionmag....ENTANT-TWO-7970.aspx

Long drug out article but still a good read, I have to say though I CAN NOT RIDE A 250 two stroke like I can a 450, trust me I rode 250s for many of years and maybe it was the brand but that bike cost me on average $200 bucks a month to ride, and that was not a bike payment that was one month top end, two months later bottom end, so on and so on. I would have to say since I went to a four stroke maintenance cost are down, but I did have to almost give up my left nut to purchase one.

Then again my new 1996 KTM 250SX was $5100 OTD, and now they are $7100 OTD for basically the same bike.

Not sure were you are buying bikes, just purchased a 2012 KTM 250SX for $6799. The 2012 bike is light years ahead of your 1996 KTM...trust me I just raced mine yesterday.

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Hawkins
posted Hide Post
Thats a good deal but over here we have what is called (CENTRAL OREGON RETAIL) means you pay more, I know this now but back then i did not know any better. I am happy you like that bike, hope you have good luck with it.

Hawk

Posts: 354 | Location: Redmond | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin Hawkins:
Thats a good deal but over here we have what is called (CENTRAL OREGON RETAIL) means you pay more, I know this now but back then i did not know any better. I am happy you like that bike, hope you have good luck with it.

Well that sucks...you guys don't have sales tax either, right? Looks like the consumer gets the bad end of the stick as usual...

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post