Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACL injury, advice please!
 Login/Join

posted
This is Kim Niles mom and we are looking for some advice. Back in Feb. she injured her knee. Basic x-ray showed nothing broke and she was told she just pulled some ligaments. She continued to ride and while down in Ca for Glen Helen and Hangtown the pain and swelling got worse and was to the point that she could not ride for long before it would give out. An MRI showed that her ACL was "shredded" is what the Dr. said and needs surgery. She really isn't able to ride at all now and is very bummed. We have dealt with broken bones but never a knee before so we would love some advice. We live in the tri-cities and are looking for a good knee DR. we would travel to Seattle if anyone knows of a good Dr. there or anywhere! We would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Shannon

Posts: 2 | Location: Kennewick | Registered: Sun January 07 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I went through ACL surgery. The key is to get the bad leg as strong and as much range of motion as the good leg. In my opinion and the research I've done, get a patella tendon graft from her own leg. Rehab the bejesus afterwards and she will be back on the bike in 5 months.

Marnie works for an orthopedic surgeon in Seattle, she could most likely fix you up.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 153
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lawrence Snow 425 235 9981 He was a sports medicine doctor for the mariners or the seahawks i cant remember which. He has done my moms, sisters and fathers knees and all have been great. He has done my ankle my collarbone and will do my shoulders when I decide it is time. He has been very good for my familly and would be for yours too.

Posts: 452 | Location: Renton, WA. USA | Registered: Fri December 19 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motodad642
posted Hide Post
My sons ACL is completly detached and our doctor will not work on it until his growth plates are done growing. That might be a question you may ask your Doc when you find one.

Posts: 276 | Location: Sumner Wa | Registered: Tue February 24 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
UW sports Med center the latest technology I had the patella tendon graft done it was by them 20 years ago 4th one they did .
Sydney Babcock had her should done by doctor Wahl at UW sports med center using a new technic it cut rehab time in half.
The also fixed my shoulders,wrist,that all I can remember for now

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Parker
posted Hide Post
I tore my ACL completely at the Glen Helen National in 01. Dr. Roux in Yakima fixed it and I was riding in 3 months. He was reccommended by some friends who played football at Central and also fixed one of Dan Moore's wrists, everyone has their Dr, but I would check this guy out:

Richard D. Roux, M.D. is an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery. Dr. Roux believes in a customized team approach to each patient's musculoskeletal condition(s). His treatment goal is to restore maximum function through comprehensive treatment. Dr Roux's interests include refinement of less invasive surgical techniques to minimize patient recovery time. His orthopaedic practice has considerable emphasis on surgery of the knee and shoulder.
Dr. Roux received his undergraduate and Masters Degrees from Stanford University, his medical degree from the University of California at San Diego, and completed the Orthopaedic Residency Program at Harvard University. He completed a Fellowship in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard University and is Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Roux is the head team physician for the Yakima Sunkings and Yakima Bears professional sports teams. He is chief orthopaedic consultant for the Central Washington University athletic teams.

Posts: 255 | Location: Mattawa, WA, USA | Registered: Sun November 16 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marnie
posted Hide Post
I had 4 ACL's (the first 2 failed becuase I didn't do the necessary rehab correctly)and a total knee replacement last September and back to riding in 5 months. I do work for my orthopedic surgeon so if you are interested in driving over to Seattle I would be more then happy to hook you up.

Posts: 240 | Location: Enumclaw | Registered: Tue January 23 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
If you have the money and the time i would go here.The rehab is like 30 days or something.

http://www.sandersclinic.net/

here is some testimony http://www.thumpertalk.com/for...791923&highlight=acl

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DR Kalfain is also a Seahawks Knee doctor and did Shawn Alexanders knee and mine.. The thing you want to talk to your Doc about is using a cadaver ligament, your healing time is faster since you are only healing the knee not your leg at the same time..

Posts: 34 | Location: Monroe  | Registered: Mon June 01 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer about your daughters knee. I think I was there the day she hurt her knee. Anyway, My knees are my only healthy body part these days but being a personal trainer I have worked with many ACL repairs. My husband is also recovering from an ACL tear. Just like so many others have mentioned, rehab is KEY. With the ACL it is extremely important to strengthen the hamstring during rehab. If she is able to do any pre-op exercises (with Dr. O.K.)to work on the hamstring that would help as well. Scott mentioned using a cadaver ligament which is great but it is also thought that your body responds best to its own "stuff." Definitely something to talk with your doctor about. Good luck and heal fast!

Posts: 14 | Location: Maple Valley | Registered: Sat May 30 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vetmx808
posted Hide Post
You will probably see a lot of responses on ACL's with this group (MX'ers)!

I have had both knees done now using the hamstring method. First time (left knee) it took me about 7 months (it was in terrible shape, many darts needed for my miniscus tear's) but its 100% today.

My right knee I only blew the ACL, no miniscus tear's. I raced in 4 1/2 months post surgery, BUT rehabed 3 days a week. This is key to a successful recovery in my opinion.

I live in Montana, but would strongly suggest talking to a Dr. that has done all methods of ACL reconstruction. DR. Digiovine in Butte, Montana is the Doctor I used. He was the Chief Medical Doctor for the Pittsburg Stealers for 10 years. This is the type of experience I was looking for. I actually talked to 4 or 5 different Doctors before choosing him.

Hope my rant hopes with your decision...

Posts: 582 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mon September 17 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post