Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE DARK SIDE OF RACING
 Login/Join

posted
A friend of mine(woman) when to work at a local dealership in the office. Her husband and her had owned a MC store in the past. They have two boys who race mc,one is getting to a high level that requires travel,time and money commitment.
Go into dealer last week and am told she had been let go as there was $10,000 in returns that had a paper trail direct to her! Later found Mech.husband at different dealer had been let go for missind inventory!
We all(most) get caught up in thinking our little racer is going to make it "BIG" know lots of familys who give up pretty much their whole lives to pursue that dream. HARD REALITY is THERE IS NO MONEY!! IN THIS SPORT,and right now there are very few sponsors with money to spend. If you are not doing it for the love of the sport you are in the wrong sport.
The "friend" of mine is looking at jail time as she was on probation for similar action at last job! JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Just so I have this straight, they were stealing inventory to either put on juniors bike or sell to subsidize his racing?

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
I tested a 73 maico 400, didn't get a chance to test the CZ. I've kind of realigned my motorcycle priorities and now have a KTM for woods riding so I've put the vintage thing on the back burner. I'm betting I could pull you on the start if I were on a moped but then you'd catch me and kick my behind :-)

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
Well depending on what cc size of moped you would be ridin I Might have a shot on my yz250.. -)

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
Was that a west side dealership?

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
Paul I love to ride woods it is my second love if yer up to some riding PM me .PS i know a couple areas Gif, Taneum, white pass all fun easy double DD

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shady lady update
First off OR dealer, and kid is racing MC but not MX.
Scam goes like this. She is in the office but has experence from previous shop ownership. This experence allows her to fill in at busy times,lunch,whenever at the parts counter. She would write up returns for large ticket items like ATV wheel sets. Show return on invoice allowing regester to balance after she pocketed the cash refund. She would also "update the shop iventory from her office position. She worked at the dealership aprox 1 year and first traceable refund was March this year. Owners are not stupid people and were concerned about refund policy and thought about a "check refund only policy" but didn't know how customers would react,this is a VERY OLD SCHOOL LOW PRESSURE STORE!
This week the police arrested her and charger her with Felony Thieft or something similar the result is a possible 10 yr jail time,more realistic is a shorter stay but jail time is a almost certain outcome if convicted. JR
PS they(owners) put a booking "mug" shot of her on their counter,might rethink that move!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MX Family,

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vern#119:
Paul I love to ride woods it is my second love if yer up to some riding PM me .PS i know a couple areas Gif, Taneum, white pass all fun easy double DD

That would be fun Vern. Let me get the new bike up to shape and we'll hit it.

Picture of motox247
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic MX Family. I've often thought it would be pretty interesting to see a story on what families sacrifice for their little racers. I've heard of many bankruptcies, foreclosures, and one other embezzling situation. I bet there are a lot of them! We personally took a look at the finances and stepped it WAAAY back this year. Love the sport, but it is really too bad it's so damn expensive... I sure miss the traveling...

two4seven (or his mom)

Posts: 196 | Location: Ferndale, WA | Registered: Fri August 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad's dad
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] PS they(owners) put a booking "mug" shot of her on their counter,might rethink that move
QUOTE]So much for innocent until proven guilty.

Posts: 312 | Location: Olympia | Registered: Sun November 23 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R D
Sorta funny you post that.
On the mug shot (which I think is from co. jail intake) there is disclamer saying pretty much the same thing. Will let you know the outcome.
My money says guilty,but?Tell my kids easy to make $1000- a week get a job that lets you make $10/ hr work 7/12s then ask for a $2 raise,very simple! JR

posted Hide Post
Case goes to trial,she pleads guilty! Slap on the wrist,for someone repeating what she was on probation for. Not sentenced yet but plebargin ,rumor of pending punishment.
30 days jail time,most served already at arest time.
Another probation for 5 years.
Must pay restitution within 5 year period.
Found $10,000 missing direct proof of $6700,not sure what actual total amount is.
Not sure how owners can account for loss within tax guide lines?
Brought up with "Crime doesn't pay" parent ,crime also hurts like heck(big thump up side the head)or black and blue butt! Seems like crime isn't as serious today.I did stupid stuff as a kid , when 7/8 took home a pie or something equally dumb from corner market.thought Mom was trying to kill me with a belt,she was using the buckle end)! "Very reformed thief thanks for the beatings Mom" JR

Picture of Workman #21
posted Hide Post
Hell-of-a story MX Family, hell of a story.

One has to wonder how far a parent will go or a child will push achieving goals real or imaginary.

Posts: 2492 | Location: North Bend, WA | Registered: Wed June 21 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad's dad
posted Hide Post
I've known dads who would sell their soul for a LL championship. Easy to lose sight of the big picture. Especially since 4 strokes came back.

Posts: 312 | Location: Olympia | Registered: Sun November 23 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen "friends" do the same thing and I distance myself from them. Its one thing to make a bad disicion as a youth but as an adult and to do it more than once. I have no pity on them. I put a lot of blood sweat tears time and money into my sons racing over the last 8 1/2 years and he has chosen to not ride or race at all this year. Am I disappointed? Yes I am but he is 19 and has his own life to figure out. What I know is I have 8 1/2 years that I dedicated to my son and I dont regret one moment of it. I have so many great memories with my son growing up and I will always have that. I have seen dads treating their sons like crap at the track and you look at the kid and they are just miserable. I hate seeing that even though I know I was guilty of it myself a time or too. Thankfully my son has a very forgiving heart like his father. In the end I would rather have a son (child) that loves me than a LL title.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sultan Wa | Registered: Wed November 12 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post