New
Find
Notify
Tools

what wrong with MX tracks?
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
Ok as both a racer and as somebody who sees the inner workings of race promotion, Ill play both sides...

First, as a racer, yeah stuff is expensive. Gas, entrys, food, and whatever else costs money. For one weekend, in my little pickup truck, with just one class per day, gate entries for me and my gf, and food, im at a bare minimum of $200. I do it because even though im a slow bastard, I like the competition, and I like seeing my friends out at the track, and I like the tracks I go to. I dont go on vacations like a normal person would, my vacations are race weekends. The races are more than just racing, its the whole aspect tha makes it worth it to me, but yes, my pocket is a little lighter afterward, and I wouldnt complain if it was a little cheaper.

Now from the promotion aspect...

Im a former president of SMC, and Ive seen the details of putting on a race. SMC is different than most promoters, because we are a non-profit club, All the money we make from a race goes into the club, not to the members, and its all voluntary. What that means is we have a larger margin for the race to break even in the event that we dont have many riders that show up. What a lot of you dont realize, is the cost to put on a race. For us, we give a portion (if not all, depending on where were at) of the gate to the track we are running at. Also, we have insurance, which is about $1500 a weekend, trophies, which are not cheap, NWRA series fees that go to the series trophies and contingencies, and dozer fees. We also have to pay flaggers and other workers if we dont have enough members to safely put on the race. All this stuff adds up super quick. I know SMC the last couple of years has not made very much money at all, hell, our last race last year barely broke even. A lot of promoters have even more expenses than SMC and I cant imagine how they do financially after a race.

Its isnt like promoters and tracks are just rolling in the cash here, its a very hard time for promoters...

With that being said, We are trying to make some changes...https://ewmxschools.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/560602284/m/7357075433

So if your complaining about prices, put your money where your mouth is...

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRA-742:
-----
I just read what all I posted on this topic, I swore I would never talk politics or business on hear ever again, very stressful week plus haven't rode in a over a month equals jerk mode, I'm going riding this weekend, I believe the older you are the wiser you are because youve seen and done more, at 60 JR definetly knows way more than me..

- - - - - -I call truths on the politics Paul----!

Truths or truce? One starts an argument the other stops it Big Grin

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Justin I raced 2 gold Star series and had a blast. The series end awards and prizes were the best I have ever seen. I applaud you guys for giving a break on the second class. I plan on hitting a few of the races that don't conflict with my off road schedule.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago P.R.O. started giving a $5.00 discount to all the 50cc and 60cc riders. We don't have a ton of 50 and 60cc riders because at that level they aren't traveling as much as the bigger kids but I think getting more of the little guys to go will bring grandpa and grandma out so it evens out what you give away. The same with the Professional Purse that P.R.O. pays out. More Professional riders bring more spectators and riders. The tracks that are charging the riders more than P.R.O. and providing less for the riders won't do nearly as well as our organization. Our staff is full of riders, which gives us a big advantage. Owners of tracks that don't ride are at a big dissadvantage because they don't view their business through the eyes of the customers.

Paul I'm with 747. "I call truths on the politics".
I think what 747 is saying is, you have to tell the truth now. Razz

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Ted what really is truth when it comes to politics? One can tweak numbers and data to prove anything true. Politics is much like religion, you believe what you want to believe cuz no one is going to change it. Makes for lively conversation though as long as no one takes it personally. For instance, I could say, Bin Laden is dead, the stock market is the highest its been in 52 weeks, oil is down 8%, 200k new jobs created, the economy is rosey. All are true but is it the "truth"? No mom I didn't have a party while you and dad were gone for the weekend, just a couple of friends over :-)

posted Hide Post
So true Paul. Oil could be down 8%, but where.
200,000 jobs could have been created but 475,000 applied for unemployment in the same period. Both true. Good points indeed.

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post