Find
Notify
Tools

MXA Honda move to Thailand?
 Login/Join

Picture of Justin Hawkins
posted
HONDA MIGHT MOVE BIG BIKE PRODUCTION TO THAILAND

No word on what models might be involved in the Thailand move other than bikes with engines larger than 400cc.

According to Yomiuri Shimbun news reports, Honda Motor Company plans to shift output of motorcycles with engines bigger than 400cc to Thailand as a result of the strong yen. The newspaper said that auto maker deemed the move overseas as necessary to cut costs as the Japanese yen’s surge has caused profitability to worsen. Honda is leaning toward shifting production to a factory outside of Bangkok in October of next year, the Yomiuri said

Hawk

Posts: 354 | Location: Redmond | Registered: Fri January 18 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see it happening big time unless the yen starts coming back down sometime soon. They have had a factory in thialand for a long time most current bike I know they make there is the new CBR250R and they make the CBR150/125R there maybe some of the lower end quads are now. The last year of two the KDX 200 was made it was made at kawie's plant in thialand.

But being the 2 smoker fan I am none of the new bikes i'm interested in come from japan.

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blaze
posted Hide Post
Its too bad they discontinued the KDX 200. That was a darn good bike. Hondas biggest (trail bike market) mistake was discontinueing the XR 400.

Posts: 188 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Sat December 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They might start doing what suzuki did and discontinuing more models if the yen doesn't drop.

Just a couple years ago when I was buying parts for my 2 smoker street bikes from japan I was getting 111 - 113 yen to the dollar now it's 76 yen to a dollar! which's basically means we're only getting 76 cents to our dollar there Frown

Posts: 552 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Sat December 06 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post