Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

race hauler
 Login/Join

posted
Got to drive a sprinter over to Richland this weekend 550 mile trip. Gorge weather was stormy but van handled it OK a little bouncy from the cross winds and a little light in the rain filled groves(compared 3500 Chev)but no hydroplaining. Tall model so standing upright is a very big plus. Biggest plus was unloading and reloading bikes,I could do this by myself(63) and it was EASY! Quality was great,comfort better then dodge,ford vans I have driven,front wheel flare NOT so as intrusive in my foot space. View out the front was great,very motorhomeish,great views comming down the Columbia River helped.
Neg"s Expensive,NO DEALS FROM DEALERS YOU PAY FULL RETAIL!,hear normal maintance is also costly,feel ripped with diesel cost.JR

Enjoy Racing & Riding for Fun!
Be a Good Sportsmen (or women)!

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rays Dad
posted Hide Post
MPG?

Posts: 582 | Location: Tacoma | Registered: Tue June 20 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to figure out what all the do-dads do/did so have a best guess of around 20. this is also what guys I know who have them say. Guys from mid oregon who travel a lot doing Am nationals were over measuring things up to get 2-85's and 2 250f's in along with a cockpit with a L-shaped couch at back of sliding door. All looked doable to them. Nate Whitlow had one that he put a ton of miles on with pretty good results. I still love the idea of the easy to load-unload biked as the best feature,also the security now is becoming important,one of your Wa. OT riders went to a race at Tulare Ca, they took his truck as well as bikes in the back,then BURNED the truck I assume to get rid of evendence?Guys out his bike,his buddys bike,truck,and ruinned his weekend of racing!JR

Posts: 767 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had the budget, I would get one of these Sprinters decked out like Lopes55 http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_bikes.html . Looks like a pretty sweet set up.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bothell | Registered: Mon March 26 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
I have had my sprinter since 05 it now has 134000 miles on it with 0 problems.On I-5 from auburn wa to Castillo we average 22 MPG at 70MPH 2 bikes all gear tools etc. I think when I have the money again I am going to sell the toy hauler and dodge Cummins and get a second sprinter and deck it out. I just wish it got same mileage as the Cummins with 2 bikes. Same trip In that truck I average 24 MPG.at 75MPH
Maybe the answer would be a Alum. body sprinter with a cummins diesel

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V
Hear stuff about brakes a little weak,and exp.to fix? Had wife drive,kids,just about anybody,they all LOVED the view out the front.Us "old" people have a hard time with the heigth of the step in. Rental goes back in today overall been a very positive week with it.JR

Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of city driving and I am not real easy on a truck I'll do brakes twice a year just pads so far. Never had a I need more brakes moment

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Mull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vern#119:
I do a lot of city driving and I am not real easy on a truck I'll do brakes twice a year just pads so far. Never had a I need more brakes moment

Only way to go...
Even with my 36' 5th wheel I only use my brakes to come to a complete stop (driving accordingly).

PacBrake

Posts: 271 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 28 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post