Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRO 3/7/10 Horn!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Your spot on Randy. My boys and I raced this weekend. On the long drive home last night the only word we could come up with for the weekend was “brutal”. They placed well but very few smiles were seen. On a normal drive home we talk about the track layout, multi lined corners, good jumps, great passes, watching the pro’s, etc… After seeing so many pile-ups, friends getting hurt and poor flagging in was a quiet drive.
I have raced/ridden at Horn Rapids since it first opened and of coarse we have had Ambulance rides, but luckily I must have missed the 12 in one day TRA is talking about… But we can’t justify what is happening now with what has happened in the past. We have the ability to make the changes.
I limit our time at Horn just because, in my opinion it has become a more advanced rider track. It has supercross style jumps on a fast motocross track, and a sand track to boot! My ideas/concerns/complaints have fallen on deaf ears, so we simply have found other tracks. Watching the number of rider dwindle last year I hoped we would see some changes made, but unfortunately we have not. I pray we all get through the March 27/28 races in one piece and can move on to some good MX.
Thank you Ted D for stopping the Jr riders and giving them a butt chewing. Next time lets take it to the next level and take those top nine/ten riders and make them start backwards, if that doesn’t open the eyes then DQ them. It happened all day in most classes.
Educate these flaggers! Give them a radio to call in anyone’s number for jumping on a yellow. At least make the rider somewhat accountable and show up to the tower and give his side of the story. Maybe it would make them think twice next time.

Brian Barnes - thank you so much for the heart felt words for our fallen friend.

Posts: 18 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Fri March 14 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really? Why comment if you weren't there?

Here is my one and only statement to Dillman, who thought he was going to a golf tournament!

1) It's HRMC's flag crew. This is their first event of the year. Their over enthusiasm had them sprinting to downed riders in other areas covered by other flaggers. They were talked to, jumped on and yelled at for doing so, but they did not slack whatsoever. Yes some left their post and all were scolded for doing so.

2) We had 12,440 individual rider laps put on the track in 2 days and had one transport. You do the percentages Dillman!

These were not 12,440 swings of a golf club.

3) I will give you one quote from a mid pack 40+ rider. Mr. McBride said this was the most fun he has ever had, because all the jumps were safe and doable for him. Those who know Don McBride know him for his love of life and not his jumping ability.

Dillman! You have no stinking clue how hard myself and my staff work to make P.R.O. events the best, safest Motocross events humanly possible.

P.S. Ask Royce or Garrett some time how rich we are running a business in this industry and running races as a second job.

Eric was there, maybe he has a comment?

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
Ted I'm with Don in the jumping ability. I thought the jumps were fine, when I first walked the track I was a bit worried but afterwards I though it was good. I finally did all of them. The only sketchy jump is the tunnel jump and perhaps the step up afterwards only because of the ease to cross jump. There needs to be flagger training. Serious flagger training not just give em a flag and say go here. The riders also need to get their heads outta their asses. I would like to see the black flag employed more.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heres my two cents. I did not ride and spectated and here is what I thought was good and what I though might need some attention.
First I really thought the track was good for the amount of riders that were there. Aweswome watering,track layout and track maintanence. I have seen it ALOT rougher with less riders. i think P.R.O did a really good job at handling that many people for one weekend.
What I did see and not like at all was alot of the riders not using their head and jumping on the yellow flag. I have never seen that many people( probably most to all kids) jumping blind doubles with a yellow flag. I dont know if they all forgot about the way flags work in the winter and need a refresher course or what. I watched the pro moto where kevin flynn got hurt and the pros did a great job I thought with the yellow flag and they have the go ahead to jump most of the time on a yellow. KIDS!!!!! This DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also the flaggers could use some more instructions but as always this has been an issue and nothing new.
I do like TRAs idea about turning the track around backward. You would have a left hand first turn where you can us your rear brake to help slow you down, then a few corners to help seperate everyone before you get to the first jump on the track.
All in all, I though P.R.O did a good job as did Ray. I think these kids need to figure a few things out before there next race. BIG props to ted for calling all those jrs out!!

Posts: 108 | Location: Everett,Wa | Registered: Wed March 16 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike Flynn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted:

We had 12,440 individual rider laps put on the track in 2 days and had one transport. You do the percentages Dillman!

Well, I will comment even though I wasn't there because that "one transport" is my little f**king brother. Sure, I realize that the "percentages" are pretty well in your favor, but don't downplay that shIt just because every other rider walked off the track under their own power. From what I've heard, what happened to Kevin was not the fault of the track design, but the fault of another dumbass out there riding over his head and doing his best James Stewart impression. JS is injured for a reason, because he is a f**king moron with no regard for other people's safety. I agree with Paul, the riders need to get their heads out of their asses. Because of one clueless dickhead, my little brother might not ever walk normally again, let alone ride a stupid dirt bike. If you all want to continue to downplay the severity of how unsafe things have become (both from poor track design and clueless riders) then you can go to hell.

edited for language. sorry to any who are offended

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Flynn,

---------------------------------
http://www.definethemoment.net - Your source for Northwest race coverage!

Posts: 131 | Location: Renton, WA | Registered: Tue January 31 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the amount of riders and classes, one transport is pretty remarkable. Mr. Osaka since when did you grow up and become so articulate? Since I'm in my trailer and not out on the track I can't speak to the track, flaggers etc except to say that PRO has great integrity and they do a fantastic job and will continue to do so. I do have the opportunity to see how parents and kids interact when maybe they don't think anyone is watching, like seeing a Dad cuss and yell at his 65cc rider because he missed the last lap, or didn't do a jump his buddy jumped, or didn't take a corner fast enough or whatever. Sometimes kids make mistakes and crash because they are under too much pressure from those who should be their biggest fans. We should be making memories and building character, not pushing kids to the point of tears. That scenario happened Saturday after a moto, make me sick to see a kid get torn down like that. Thank you to the parents I see hugging their kids and telling them they did great and that they are proud of them.

Posts: 43 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
come on mike there are kids on here, im sorry about kevin your family is some of the best people on earth, I hope kevin a speedy recovery

Posts: 220 | Location: ellensburg wa | Registered: Tue May 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, I was wrote that post not having read your post. I did not intend to minimize what happened to Kevin so I hope you don't take it that way. We wish all the best for him and are praying for his recovery.
Karen

Posts: 43 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon July 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Flynn:
quote:
Originally posted by ted:

We had 12,440 individual rider laps put on the track in 2 days and had one transport. You do the percentages Dillman!

Well, I will comment even though I wasn't there because that "one transport" is my little fucking brother. Sure, I realize that the "percentages" are pretty well in your favor, but don't downplay that shit just because every other rider walked off the track under their own power. From what I've heard, what happened to Kevin was not the fault of the track design, but the fault of another dumbass out there riding over his head and doing his best James Stewart impression. JS is injured for a reason, because he is a fucking moron with no regard for other people's safety. I agree with Paul, the riders need to get their heads out of their asses. Because of one clueless dickhead, my little brother might not ever walk normally again, let alone ride a stupid dirt bike. If you all want to continue to downplay the severity of how unsafe things have become (both from poor track design and clueless riders) then you can go to hell.

What happened to Kevin? Must have been Sunday. Mike I didn't realize he was your brother.

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I dont get it. I been to a few races at horn rapids over the years, me and my parents use to run the goldstar races twice a year over there. The track is what it is. Anyone who didnt know what they were getting into going over there to race should try going to a practice day over the just about any weekend they are open. Yes Ted changed some of the jumps, Thankfully if any thing he actually slowed the track down in spots. I have never seen a local race with "trained" flaggers it just doesnt happen that way. As for thase that thinks Ted is making a win fall in cash from running these races you should try it some time and see how much you don't make. To Mike Flynn hope Kevin got out of surgery okay yesterday and hope your dad made it through the night okay. I am very sad for Kevin he is a great kid and my whole family was upset by his injury.

Posts: 8 | Location: Enumclaw | Registered: Tue June 02 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Ted,I was there! As for the golf comment,what ever. As for the work involved,I know exactly what it is like ,I do it! 1 day later I stand by my comments! RD

Posts: 29 | Location: Sunnyside WA | Registered: Tue January 26 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike Flynn
posted Hide Post
Just to clear up any misconceptions, I did not mean to come off so harsh. I came on the board to see if anyone would be asking about Kevin or commenting on it. It just angered me slightly to see the comment that there was "only one transport." I don't want to offend anyone or start any fights. I've enjoyed being a part of this community and it bums me out that I likely will not see you all at any races for quite some time due to a different direction I am taking in my life. Thanks for the kind words for Kevin and my family. Back to work, later!

---------------------------------
http://www.definethemoment.net - Your source for Northwest race coverage!

Posts: 131 | Location: Renton, WA | Registered: Tue January 31 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ..::MOTOX155::..
posted Hide Post
On behalf of PRO I want to say thanks to all the riders and families that helped make a great opening weekend of racing.

Because of the awesome family atmosphere and great commodore we have at our races, we enjoy putting on great events. We always encourage our customers to voice any question or concern that they might have. In turn we listen and assest the situation to make it better in the future.

We strive to make our customers happy and our events safer. Every promoter should know that if you give the customer what the want they come back again and again.

As for Mr. Dillman, I am pretty surprised at your posts. Being a track owner and future promoter yourself I believe you have a lot of learning ahead of you. You are very fortunate to have a place to call your own and I hope the best for you to get it off the ground, the right way.

But if you think we are raking in the cash and not caring about the riders, then you are very misinformed! We are riders ourselves and have been racing a long time!

We are very sorry for Kevin's injury and we are praying for his recovery.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ..::MOTOX155::..,

Posts: 214 | Location: Washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by traxtor:
With the amount of riders and classes, one transport is pretty remarkable. Mr. Osaka since when did you grow up and become so articulate? Since I'm in my trailer and not out on the track I can't speak to the track, flaggers etc except to say that PRO has great integrity and they do a fantastic job and will continue to do so. I do have the opportunity to see how parents and kids interact when maybe they don't think anyone is watching, like seeing a Dad cuss and yell at his 65cc rider because he missed the last lap, or didn't do a jump his buddy jumped, or didn't take a corner fast enough or whatever. Sometimes kids make mistakes and crash because they are under too much pressure from those who should be their biggest fans. We should be making memories and building character, not pushing kids to the point of tears. That scenario happened Saturday after a moto, make me sick to see a kid get torn down like that. Thank you to the parents I see hugging their kids and telling them they did great and that they are proud of them.

This is off subject...but...

I'd love to know who was yelling at their kid. Not to defend them, but to hopefully humiliate the offending father. As a mini-dad I have seen waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many dads yell, scream and cuss at their kids. Maybe public humiliation would help deter this in the future... The funny part is that many/most of the dads that act this way don't even ride themselves. True story: I witnessed a dad screaming at his son who missed qulifying for an 85cc arenacross main event by one spot "because he wasn't jumping a double out there". I walked up to the dad and invited him to ride my bike out on the track and try the double in question...he then shut up.

I really feel for these kids...a kid who is riding a 50 or 65 (or even an 85 I guess) should have one measure of success for a weekend of racing...did I have fun? If the answer is yes, everyone should be happy.

Sorry to steal the direction of this...

Posts: 273 | Location: Spokane | Registered: Wed February 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of B Sharkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul 061:
quote:
Originally posted by Pike 62:
Paul dont quit yet. I am going to be at the rest of the series and I really want to see you on the line with me again!

We'll see. right now I'm getting more an more pissed. I'm sitting here with a hand swollen up, a thumb that doesn't want to stay in place, it hurts like hell and none of my quacks can get me in until next week.
not to mention your wife is going to have your balls because your banged yourself up before vacation Frownyou should have waited paul. shes gonna have a choke chain on you on vacation

Posts: 1322 | Location: lake stevens | Registered: Thu October 06 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spin05
posted Hide Post
I raced the 40+ class both days and my son does the 85jr and supermini. We thought the track was way safer and doable then it was 3 weeks ago when we came over for a practice weekend. Maybe on the tunnel jump Ted you could have built a seperation berm that the inside guys can use.I loved that jump!!!!could only do it from the outside thou.I believe ted shortened the protaper jump cause i could not clear it 3 weeks ago....Overall i liked everyone of the changes Ted and crew did.I think it was good for all levels...The flaggers may need some work yes.The dumb riders may need some work.Both of these are hard for Ted to control.Speaking of dumb rider thanks to the guy in sunday mornings 40+ morning practice. On the 1st turn you came across the entire track to the other and made 2 guys wad up.One of wich i plowed into wich sent me over the bars.The dude i hit was then stuck under my bike...How bout mantaining your line just a little.....Thanks

#329 40+ class

Posts: 808 | Location: camano is,wa | Registered: Sun September 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad_mxer317
posted Hide Post
Mike im sorry about Kevin, I wish him a speedy recovery. your whole family is awesome and if anything Kevin can still race his badass golf cart!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: TUMWATER | Registered: Tue November 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
Well, I wasn't there, I wanted to be, but lacrosse and birthday parties screwed me.

Anyway, wanted to weigh in. We have a shortage of tracks, a shortage of great flaggers, lots of people have shortages of funds, causing them to be more selective on their leisure activites, Ted has a shortage of political common sense, and I have a shortage of stamina. (when it comes to riding a bike...)

But something we never seem to have a shortage of is boneheads who freak out when you tell them that the first one to the finish line gets a little plastic gold figurine guy doing a butt whip. That was the #1 reason I started professional practicing every weekend. Dudes gotta learn to dial it back, and ride atleast close to how they ride every other weekend.

As for all you guys who told Paul to race, I'm going to give Mrs. Stavig all your email addresses. I told him to go on vacation, but no-one ever listens to me. Wink

Aaron.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad_mxer317
posted Hide Post
dude not everyone wants to be a pro practicer. get over it

Posts: 1034 | Location: TUMWATER | Registered: Tue November 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DanP and Traxtor are right on with the children and parents relationship. Here is how on board P.R.O. is with that. Our rule book included this subject from day one. If you don't think we stand by that rule, ask Dan Villapoto.
If at a P.R.O. race, our staff is witness to any parent screaming or whacking a kid around like you mentioned, they will have us to deal with. This is suppose to be fun.

Mike. When I said "Only one transport" I was being statistical. His injury was in no way a statistic! It hurts us when a guy like Kevin gets an injury like that. All the Flynns are really great people and a shining example of our sport. We pray and hope Kevin digs through this like the motocrosser he is.

Dillman. One last comment. If you are a track promoter, one piece of advise. You can't beat up the competition to get more customers. You must do the best damn job that you possibly can to get more customers. We have had local suspension companies try the same approach. Royce and Brandon just go out and do the best damn job possible for DeVol. Their results speak for themselves. Dan Moore does the same.
Try it!

Posts: 1904 | Location: enumclaw | Registered: Mon August 22 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post