New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRO 3/7/10 Horn!
 Login/Join

Picture of TRA-742
posted Hide Post
MR MXNUT It was about the 96 era or so when 12 rolled out on one day- yes I know its hard to imagine but it for dam sure happened I was there it was fkn nuts! Back then HORN was way more Narlier had quads that took 4TH gear pinned on a 250 two stroke (i only trippled it but i remember howels dad used to quad it regularly on a ktm250) plus the track had huge tabletops and the protaper was called the pro double it was Big. I dont think the bikes back then had as advanced suspension as they do now either. Where you really there back then?

Posts: 677 | Location: KENNEWICK | Registered: Sat November 22 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also like to say thank you to the DeVol crew for doing what our family thought was a big improvement over past weeks at Horn. As a mom, I loved that I could see the whole track from the infield. Our rider felt the jumps were much safer this time.
As the mother of an "extreme sport teen", my heart bleeds for those who suffered loss and injury and emotional distress this weekend in the sport that we too, love. It's unfortunate that sometimes, it's another rider that's involved in accidentally injuring someone else. And it's very unfortunate that parents feel the need to publically accost their young children for forgetting or making a mistake or a decision that they, in the moment, felt was the best one under the circumstances they were in. We are asking undeveloped minds to make huge decisions under an immense amount of pressure.
As for the overanxious riders....I do believe that if just ONE rider was told to go home for their on-track behavior, it might be an example for others.
The flagging needed improving. Hopefully, that will be better next time. If not, we'll stand next to the track like we did and help out as much as we can too.

Posts: 9 | Location: Mount Vernon | Registered: Fri March 03 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aaron
posted Hide Post
We raced 5 rounds last year, and I think Ted and his family do an excellent job. One of the rounds I raced was Spokane. I have ridden that track many times and it was by far the best I have ever seen it. I think testosterone is always super high for the opener, and some carnage is not surprising. The flaggers probably get a little rusty too.

As far as racing goes, I had a lot of fun last summer, and I look forward to the upcoming rounds of Ted's series. And as far as professional practicing, it's a joke dude, take it for what it is. Don't get offended thinking I'm insulting what you do. I was once on the run going to every race I could find. It all goes back to having fun, you know like we tell our kids to do every time they take off?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aaron,

Posts: 2216 | Location: Marysville | Registered: Sat March 31 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mx510
posted Hide Post
Ted, I dont know if your, if you werent there why comment thing was aimed at me or not but, I going to respond either way. First of all, I didnt need to be. If you read my post not a whole lot of it had to do with P.R.O. it was the track that I encountered a couple weeks ago with your two sons there! And while I DONT agree with the way Dillman said it, it seems to be a common complaint of what went on over there. Safety is something that we ALL should be passionate about, and if someone has ideas to help make the sport tiny bit safer, how is that not better for the sport?

Posts: 435 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Fri August 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spin05:The dumb riders may need some work.Both of these are hard for Ted to control.Speaking of dumb rider thanks to the guy in sunday mornings 40+ morning practice. On the 1st turn you came across the entire track to the other and made 2 guys wad up.One of wich i plowed into wich sent me over the bars.The dude i hit was then stuck under my bike...How bout mantaining your line just a little.....Thanks

I can probably tell you who that dumbass was...the same guy who took out a guy in your first moto on Saturday. That guy wind up going off the side of the tunnel jump. That guy crossed lanes EVERY time he came through the corner. Had no frikin clue and/or give a damn!

Posts: 240 | Location: Enumclaw | Registered: Tue January 23 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James88
posted Hide Post
This is a little crazy, first off Dillman needs to go back to his safe track and shut up, second I hate jumps but loved them this weekend, the landings were the best ive seen for the size of jumps,the track was rough (its a MOTORCROSS TRACK) what do you want?I thought P.R.O. did a great job of with the track, the flagers could have been better but hopefully next race they'll be better. But thanks to the P.R.O. and hope every buddy that whent down is ok.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James88,

Posts: 24 | Location: Bremerton | Registered: Thu January 29 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newport
posted Hide Post
I thought the track was awesome Ted but it did lack on experienced flaggers. That was the most fun I have ever had at horn and made it safe by slowing it down. Yea a few jumps got a little rutted and holes in them but thats motocross. How about for the next race we go up on the hill where the go kart track is and do it supermoto style to shut the cry babies up? I did supermoto once and motocross is way better. Thanks for putting on a great event.

Posts: 28 | Location: Benton city | Registered: Tue June 30 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ivest4
posted Hide Post
I really didn't think the flaggers did a bad job. I think it was the riders that did a poor job of paying attention. I saw several instances where guys were on the gas setting up for jumps when the flagger was waving the red cross flag in front of their face! My only request was less water because it ruins the track and makes it dangerous especially on rutted jump faces. One last thing.... this is my first year racing the 40+ expert class..what's up with you guys riding like it's a Pro main!! When there's someone in front of you on the ground or likewise give 'em a break!! I was watching saturday when paul was injured and guys were running people over...insane! Thank you to Ted and the boys for putting on a good event and thank you Branden Thomas for loaning me a rear brake pedal. I snapped mine off on the tire before the rythem section!! Ted get rid of that tire!!

Posts: 388 | Location: Arlington | Registered: Tue January 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I told Garret and Ted on Sunday night after the races were over, "That was the most fun I've had at Horn ever". As far as the safety thing goes, the jumps were intimidating when I first got there, I admit....Yes I'm not a jumper. But after hitting one, the confidence grew and by the end of the first moto....I was doing them all. This was the safest track I've ridden there in a long time. And any time you have a 1000 plus riders on any track, it is going to get rough. We all knew that, so you may have to adjust your riding to the track as it changes...ride smarter in order to ride another day! Take a moment and step back, breathe and ask yourself....Did you have fun? I think it would be hard to say no. I want to give a big thanks to all involved in putting this race weekend on. I know I had the time of my life....Thanks!
To Kevin, well, I'm sorry you got hurt. You know how we feel...You are one of Josh's best friends and like a family member to us...Heal up quick...I know it will seam like a long time, but it is only temporary...You'll be back...I know, that's the fighter in you. I heard it will be a year.....that's a long time, but knowing you, you'll find a way to come back stronger and faster....Heal up!

THANKS again to all involved...I had the time of my life this weekend....

Posts: 78 | Location: Ravensdale | Registered: Mon April 10 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vern#119
posted Hide Post
the first race of the year always is a yard sale of bikes and bodies releasing pentup aggresion.
ints. dreaming of being pros, beinners dreaming of clearing the big jump.

at
jolly we usaully had the season opener. 1 day of racing we had 12 transports truly a bad week end.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Auburn | Registered: Sat August 21 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I help put on races and its alot of hard work alot more then most people realize, it comes down to you can't make everyone happy for every one happy guy there are five pissed off guys that think they can do a better job. Teds been around for a loooong time and if anyone has always been there for the riders it is him. It sounds like from what people are saying that some of the riders are the ones to blame.

Posts: 126 | Location: cle elum | Registered: Wed December 21 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad's dad
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ivest4:
I snapped mine off on the tire before the rythem section!! QUOTE]
Hey, Jeff broke his brake pedal on that same tire.

Posts: 312 | Location: Olympia | Registered: Sun November 23 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ivest4
posted Hide Post
That is too funny.... I've never done that before!! It turned out that Branden was the only other Suzuki really out there that fit. And there were how many hundreds of riders!!!

Posts: 388 | Location: Arlington | Registered: Tue January 24 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Justin Anderson
posted Hide Post
I wasnt there, I cant comment on track conditions... However I will say I havent been to horn in 2 years because The last time I was there after the county let it go, the track was complete garbage and unsafe, I just havent felt like going back ever since.

To those that make the excuse that you dont make any money putting on races, especially ones the size of Ted's, you are sadly mistaken. I know what its like from the inside, and a weekend of racing usually makes a decent amount of coin, though when your paying people to do jobs, and inexperienced people at that, you do have to give up a little, however, you still end up with a decent chunk of change by the time its over with. I dont see anything wrong with that though, without the profit motive, we wouldnt have any races to go to...'Course the Pro-practicers-union might like that....Wink

I will say this though, promoters need to start catering to the less experienced riders and not to the Int/Pro's. Sure, everybody likes to watch us, but the paying customers are where the focus needs to be made.... we dont need 80ft triples and multiline rhythm sections to have fun...Base a track on rider abilty, not who has the bigger nutsack, not only will the racing be better, but safer for everybody as well.

Posts: 403 | Location: Auburn, WA | Registered: Sat December 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rad_mxer317
posted Hide Post
Yea that damn tire got me last year at the first round. I thought the track was pretty sick this weekend though Ted thanks for a great track!

Posts: 1034 | Location: TUMWATER | Registered: Tue November 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LB Photography
posted Hide Post
The pics that I got this weekend at P.R.O are up. Due to the fences that were up the majority of them were taken from behind the fence. Still check them out.

http://lesliebrownphotography....z9BB#806077704_sDDTZ

Posts: 40 | Location: Royal | Registered: Thu October 29 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, how is Kevin doing? never really heard the extent of injuries. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.....recovery time can be frustrating.

And yes..there needs to be some flagger training. This comes from me(mom) who had a son that unfortunatly landed on someone and then was hit from behind, due to poor flagging. Then in another moto gets passed on a yellow flag. So riders need some training too.

Alice
625's mom

Posts: 146 | Location: Lynnwood, Wa | Registered: Tue September 28 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul 061
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB Photography:
The pics that I got this weekend at P.R.O are up. Due to the fences that were up the majority of them were taken from behind the fence. Still check them out.

http://lesliebrownphotography....z9BB#806077704_sDDTZ

Great photos! With a great photographer even an ugly woman can look like a playboy playmate

http://lesliebrownphotography....z9BB#806084094_GR6Ht

------------------------------------
If you wanna live life on your own terms you
Gotta be willing to - CRASH AND BURN! ...

Posts: 3122 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: Wed August 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there all day and watched from the infield. I also voiced my concernes to Devol in regard to Sundays Flagging or lack of. While I do realize that it was the first race of the season and everyone was out in full force to race there were still a number of issues for the day that should have been addressed.
First I have seen flagging all over the Northwest and for a race I have never seen such blatent disregard for riders safety as I did on sunday. Especially coming off the loss of our friend Trevor you would think a few more flaggers would have been in order. Some of the flaggers did what they could but there just wasnt enough of them to cover the area's that needed to be covered. Most of the jumps were blind landings which is ok if you put the flaggers where they need to be, ON THE JUMPS not on the infield watching other jumps. Another issue I saw was flaggers just not paying attention. I witnessed a rider go down apon landing the tunnel jump and the flagger was looking towards the take off all while picking fuzzies off his sleeve. HELLO rider down pay attention! I witnessed a rider go down durning at the end of the rythem section and the flagger was yet not paying attention. He was sitting down in the infield. Then I witnessed a rider go down at the step up after the tunnel jump and flagger went to him to help and another flagger went to him to help leaving area's not covered and another rider went down and no help for him. Another example, before the finish line jump a rider went down and then a few more.... the flagger was bending down to help out and we all know what comes next. Another rider over the jump unaware that he would be landing on a bunch of bikes and riders and all this could be avoided if the flaggers were doing what they should. Waving that yellow flag! I saw a flagger flagging on the wrong sides of the jump and having to be told which side to go to, to direct traffic away from the injured rider. I saw a rider get up from going down and then because a there was no flagger nearby... (he was across the infield) he stood up and then was hit by another rider causing injury.
In defense of Devol I will say these were not his flaggers but in the same respect I will say it was his race and all that happens is a reflection of the promoter. Most people dont stop to find out who's responsible for the lack of flaggers or their lack of flagging education. I have never promoted a race ( but have flagged plenty) and think I would have demanded a few more flaggers at each of the jumps as these concerns became evident. As the person in charge of the flaggers (ray) I would make sure the flaggers had some sort of eductation as to what they are actually out there to do. Not to daydream or to sit on the job. Riders lives are at stake and its unacceptable to have them doing anything else but watching for riders that go down.
It turned my stomach to watch many of those motos on Sunday knowing the next rider that went down was on his own. That riders would probably go over the jumps onto them because of the very flagging issues everyone has mentioned. Alot of my fellow riders and families left mid-day because it was just painful to watch everything that was going on.
As for the riders disregarding the yellow flag, All classes did it, not just the jr class. They are just the ones who got called out. If you state it at riders meeting and hold true to your word, send that first rider packing more riders would pay attention.
I just think all in all there were some serious area's of opportunity after this weekends races. With the flagging issues and lack of riders paying attention if nothing changes there is no way I will put my child out on the track to race. Fact he does race and we pulled him from racing this weekend along with many others from our moto group.

Posts: 2 | Location: Middle WA | Registered: Mon March 08 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I just can't. I was not there I wish I was but I just couldn't be. Horn is fast and gets rough, just like most tracks in this state. When you put a tone of riders on the track and they are trying to push everybody through and keep everyone happy its hard. Has Ray done a good job, YES! When the track was public you would have kids on 60cc, quads, and Pros on the track at the same time and the track was groomed once every few weeks. I drive from the westside to ride at Horn, and will still do so. It is one of the best tracks in the state.
I have been to Mabton, what can I say every jump has holes in the landing and has long straights with no runoff on the sides, if you mess up you are in the piles of sage brush, the silt they have for dirt is not good it dosn't hold lines and the track is very narrow. I will proably never go back.
Some people say Ted is just in it for the money, thats funny because the money he makes goes to the next races. He is there for the riders. So is Royce, Brandon and Garrett. I am sure Shelby and Brock are there busting there ass too. They all work hard at the races and I have never seen them not want to make everybody happy, but we all know that never happens. I have stood on each side of the fence and I know how hard it is.
Now for what really makes me mad. The unhappy people want to point fingers, and Mike this is not pointed at you everybody understands your situation and we all hope Kevin heals fast. Now everyone else, not enough flaggers, the track is to rough, the jumps are unsafe. Come on not enough flaggers pick up a flag, the track is rough go see Royce and get your suspension tuned in, the jumps unsafe express your concerns before practice that way things can be addressed, Ted listens, Ray listens. Is the tunnel jump safer yes, can it be better yes. I think that the jump should be pushed away from the turn. This would make a good run at the jump. Like Mx510 said we are all a family, we all have the same goals and want everyone to be safe. We all need to work together not blame everyone else. If this makes some people mad I am sorry. I hope to see everybody at the next round.

when you hit the wall you have to choose to go over or around, why do you keep running into it?

Posts: 210 | Location: washington | Registered: Mon August 23 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post